Beyerdynamic DT990 pro & fiio 17, extreme rattle
Feb 26, 2014 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rush-n-crush

Head-Fier
Hi first time poster long time reader. So this site directed me to buy both the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro and the fiio e17. Problem is first set of beyers the left channel had extreme rattle. Returned them got a new pair and now this pair does the same thing except in the right ear/channel.

Since the ears have swapped the fiio shouldn't be defective right? Its also normal to be using +12 gain and going to about 53 or so for loudish listening? With this amp and 250ohm?

I have read it could be hair in my driver but both sets have shipped defective. I thought Beyerdynamics and it being german made it would be solidily built under quality controlled conditions.

What should i do? And if its not the amp should i give up on Beyerdynamics?

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, if you plugged the headphones into different sources and the problem still followed, I'd be inclined to rule out the amp. As to your volume settings, it's hard to tell without knowing your source and what your preferred listening level is.

No, I don't think you should necessarily give up on Beyer. I definitely think the hair on the driver thing is possible, that happens from time to time with me. Did they rattle as soon as you received them or was it something that just happened one day, and they sounded fine when you first listened to them?

Maybe someone who knows more about these cans will chime in.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Both rattled out of the box new. Story just got crazier though. Emailed amazon last night about getting 2 defects in a row. wake up today and they returned my money yet I still have the beyers. I never said in the email i was returning them. Since i was thinking about trying to to fix them first

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 8
Both rattled out of the box new. Story just got crazier though. Emailed amazon last night about getting 2 defects in a row. wake up today and they returned my money yet I still have the beyers. I never said in the email i was returning them. Since i was thinking about trying to to fix them first

I've requested returns on amazon before and they will refund your money immediately but then if they don't get the item back in a certain amount of time they will charge you again.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, if they're still under some type of warranty, I'd try to exchange them as opposed to fixing them. Only because if you can't fix them, or if you accidentally break them more or something, then they wouldn't be covered under warranty at all.

As to Amazon, they're pretty good with customer service. Although I'm thinking they're going to want your headphones back at some point.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 8
After getting 2 defects in a row my patience is thin. Either Beyerdynamics have iffy quality or something is going on at Amazon.

Anyways i never requested a return i emailed amazon first. Ill keep them till they charge me again if they do. Thinking about a nice IEM instead, like the dunu dn -1000, thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back