Beyerdynamic DT990 as upgrade from Hyperx Cloud I?
Mar 28, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #16 of 21
Older, true stereo recordings like John Coltrane and Miles Davis, have very wide separation and directional qualities, almost to the point of not even being enjoyable.

Try using crossfeed software for those types of recordings.

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #17 of 21
Comfort is subjective,and oddly enough my head tends to the smallish side of normal.Go figure.
The HD600/HD650/HD6xx does have clamping issues for many,including myself.The X1/X2 on the other hand I find much easier on the skull for marathon gaming interludes.

Agreed.Beyers are bright and really benefit from a warmly rolled tube amp.
I wouldnt listen to my Beyers without an OTL.
Do you find yourself having clamping issues with the HD650 even after bending the metal sliders out a bit? I find that doing that easily solves all the HD650 comfort issues for me.

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 21
TBH I havent bent them out as im not sure if im going to keep my pair or not.I tend to trade/sell headphones fairly often and since I own the Atticus the HD6xx is a bit redundant for my collection....but yes bending the headband is a work around for the clamping issues.

This thread isnt really helping the OP too much.Guy asks about the DT990 and now were talking about the HD650/6xx,which is essentially the polar opposite sounding headphone.

My gaming headset timeline looks like this:

Beyer T1>HD600>Fidelio X1>Taction Kannon>Fidelio X1

All had good and not so good points.At one point in time I had the DT770,DT990 (modern)T1,HD600 and Fidelio X1 all in my home for a gaming showdown.
All were sold off,except the X1,which as I mentioned is still my go to gaming headphone.

YMMV.

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #19 of 21
Thank you very much everyone. To me the Soundmagic HP200s and Fidelio X2s seem like the best options after reading a lot of reviews, since many people claim hat the HP200s sound almost if not as clear as the HD650s whilst being more exciting in the treble. What worries me about the Fidelios is that a some reviews call them great, but focus a lot on bass, whilst quite a few here on Headfi dislike them for sounding ‘sloppy’ or similar.

If anyone happens to have had both of these, could they please give their opinion on the two, and their own preference with the reasons behind it.
Also if you own the fidelios could you talk a bit more about soundstage, clarity and treble?

Thank you

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #20 of 21
Thank you very much everyone. To me the Soundmagic HP200s and Fidelio X2s seem like the best options after reading a lot of reviews, since many people claim hat the HP200s sound almost if not as clear as the HD650s whilst being more exciting in the treble. What worries me about the Fidelios is that a some reviews call them great, but focus a lot on bass, whilst quite a few here on Headfi dislike them for sounding ‘sloppy’ or similar.

If anyone happens to have had both of these, could they please give their opinion on the two, and their own preference with the reasons behind it.
Also if you own the fidelios could you talk a bit more about soundstage, clarity and treble?
Thank you
To me, the Soundmagic HP200 is like an improved DT990.
I have zero regrets buying the HP200.

May 3, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #21 of 21
The YouTube reviewer “Z Reviews” hated the soundmagic hp200s. Some comments said that he probably had a bad pair. In the sound demo they sound fine to me, but he complains about a very small soundstage, and recommends buying the shp9500s instead. Just like every headphone that’s been recommended to me, that one has got a bunch of reviews claiming that it’s very good. As I said, I would like a pair of headphones with a good, deep and wide soundstage, so I was wondering if someone could still tell me whether it’s true that the HP200s are pretty small.

Also how is their sub-bass? I don’t want a ton of bass, but if I’m gaming or watching movies I would like to be able to hear it, and in sound demos (I know they’re not reliable) they have significantly less than some other headphones (hifiman he-400i, these are too expensive for me though).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back