Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohms or DT770 250 ohms?
Dec 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CrackerSmasher

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!
A few months ago I asked about the Beyerdynamics DT770-990 headphones and I've come to a point where I feel it would be good to gain everyone's opinion.

I know for a fact that I really want the DT770 or DT990, but dont know what to get (as the DT880 is getting out of my price range)
I will primarily be at my computer, and I know that I will be buying an amp too. At the moment I have Astro A40's that i use for everthing from gaming to producing.

I really want the DT770's because of the closed back design and the fact that I already have an semi-open backed headset (A40's) but many say that they would be good for listening to music more than producing and gaming.

That's where the DT990's come in. The open-backed design is something that I'm skeptical of, but I know from experience that they are better for gaming and have a wider soundstage.

I have also heard of the "V" sound signature(*...?) of both the DT770 and DT990, and the minor differences about the bass in both cans. I was wondering if I would even be able to recognize that "V" sound signature (*...?) and/or would it be extremely apparent as I am coming from the A40's
If there's anyway to get a more neutral sound out of either of these headphones, can people please tell me (i.e. amps/DACs, EQ's, or even other headphones) I'm up for any suggestions.

If anyone can help me with the minor details regarding sound relating to my concerns (*is that the right word?) between the two that would be great.
Thank you

-CrackerSmasher

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 7
FYI: A V-shaped sound has emphasized bass and treble - they tend to be a lot of boom and sizzle. Not so good for more delicate music like jazz, blues or classical, but folks that are into EDM, hip-hop, etc might prefer them.

I don't know the A40 or the Beyers, so I can't help you there.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 7
FYI: A V-shaped sound has emphasized bass and treble - they tend to be a lot of boom and sizzle. Not so good for more delicate music like jazz, blues or classical, but folks that are into EDM, hip-hop, etc might prefer them.

I don't know the A40 or the Beyers, so I can't help you there.

Yea I've heard of the "V" but never knew how drastic it was to songs. I'm personally into EDM and it's what I mainly listen to, but would love to listen to other stuff to break them in.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Just to clarify, does anyone know how "V" the DT770 and DT990/250 are?

Also, I realized that there haven't been many responses, and I just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong?
Maybe posting in the wrong forums or something?

Thank you.

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Just to clarify, does anyone know how "V" the DT770 and DT990/250 are?

Also, I realized that there haven't been many responses, and I just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong?
Maybe posting in the wrong forums or something?

Thank you.

I own two DT770 and two DT990.
I do prefer the DT990s, over the DT770s.
I would guess with open headphones, there are less sound waves bouncing around inside the cups, allowing the sound waves coming from the diaphragm to be more clear.

Personally I would rather go for the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, they are 40-Ohms and really sound fine without an amplifier.
(but using a low output impedance headphone amplifier might help a little).

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 7

I own two DT770 and two DT990.
I do prefer the DT990s, over the DT770s.
I would guess with open headphones, there are less sound waves bouncing around inside the cups, allowing the sound waves coming from the diaphragm to be more clear.

Personally I would rather go for the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, they are 40-Ohms and really sound fine without an amplifier.
(but using a low output impedance headphone amplifier might help a little).

I have read about the ATH-AD900X's and i know that they are in all ways cheaper, because they don't need an amp and are cheaper than the DT990's anyway, but some say that there are problems with the earcups making them uncomfortable, and I don't want to take any chances that i might not like them.

Although, I saw a DT990 250 ohm pair that was refurbished for like basically half the price. Do you guys know if they are worth it or should i just wait to buy a new pair when the price goes down?

Thanks for the response!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back