Beyerdynamic DT990 '05 or Sennheiser HD 650?
Dec 21, 2008 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

goatzii

New Head-Fier
Hello
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm new around here and I need some tips from you guys. My old Sony MDR-CD780's have finaly broke down after years of fun
smily_headphones1.gif
And I'm looking to take some steps up in quality with some new headphones.

I've been looking at DT990 '05 ed and HD650 but I just cant make a pick
frown.gif
Ive already ordered a small amp called : ARGON HA1.

Music I like is alot of Drum 'n Bass, and other electronic music + Metal. (Will also use it for causual gaming) So some of the music I listen to dosent always have the best recording quality
smily_headphones1.gif
So Im afraid HD650 is a bit to revealing. And I have notice some people say that DT990's can be abit light in the treble, somthing I really dont like.

I would also like to point out that comfort is for me supirior to sound quality since I'm always by my computer and always wearing my headphones. I need comfort!
o2smile.gif

Thanks and sorry for some poor english
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 24
While I can't comment on the 650s I can tell you that the '05 990 produces wonderfull base. Allthough if you are easily affected by too high treble they might not be the can for you. As far as comfort goes, Beyerdynamic is fantastic and would be tought to beat.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 24
i own both and personally prefer the DT990 for rock/electronic. they are both very comfortable with the edge going to the DT990 again. also, i don't know what you mean by "light in the treble" but the DT990's are bright headphones (they have a boosted treble), but not offensively so unless the recordings are bad.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 24
I'm going to jump in here as I have just been A and B 'ing them both.
1. They are both high impedence HP's so a "little" amp will probably not drive them to thier full potential.

I Know that I'm going to catch some hell for this but thess two cans are Very! similar to me. The "Open" attenuation of both are pretty equal with the 650's being a little quieter simply because they "Clamp On" a little tighter. The build quality is close with the DT's using more metal and the Senns using more plastic. Long term comfort equal.

The DT990's have a more pronounced bass and less clarity in the highs. A little more forward in the mids and I feel that the vocals seem more "Live" with the DT990's.

The HD650's are more precise and clear across all ranges with a slighlty lesser bass "punch" and less "Sibilance" in the higher registers.

Botom line: The Sennheiser are a better quality can but personaly I don't think that they are so much better as to warrant double the list price.

If I had to choose, I would choose the Beyers and save the extra money for a bigger amp.

One more note: The Beyer DT880's are considered to be a more "Reference" set of cans than the 990's and therefore may be a way to get closer to the 650's clarity without blowing the budget.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 24
Thank you for your input all
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Botom line: The Sennheiser are a better quality can but personaly I don't think that they are so much better as to warrant double the list price.

If I had to choose, I would choose the Beyers and save the extra money for a bigger amp.

Here the price is the same for both so no money to save from one to the other.

I have to say I'm starting to lean towards the Beyers
normal_smile .gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 24
They are vastly different headphones. HD650 has more warmth and more bass depth. There is a veil (quite famous), and the treble is a bit more harsh in sound...a bit more raw.

DT990 has bigger peaks, but it has no veil and is very clear. The treble spike is higher up. The treble is typical Beyer treble, very smooth and doesn't have the rawness to it.

The DT990 is much more airy, and present. Neither is really tonally accurate, but the HD650 is more so than the DT990.

If you're sensitive to sibilance, the DT990 will kill you. I use all my Beyers with a 120-ohm adapter. I think it sounds better. It will help with the highs. Beyer's own amp has an output impedance of 100 ohm. I strongly believe Beyerdynamic designs there headphones to conform to the IEC suggestion of 120 ohm headphone output jack impedance.

If you go for the DT990, a nice lush warm tube amp will go a long way for you. The advantage of a tube amp, is that with a swap of tubes, you can drastically change the tonality and presentation. Personally, I still prefer SS amps, but tubes seem the rage these days (again).

BTW, I have both as well, and a closet full of DIY amps, so I'm not posting baselessly.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by goatzii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your input all
normal_smile .gif

Here the price is the same for both so no money to save from one to the other.

I have to say I'm starting to lean towards the Beyers
normal_smile .gif

If price is not the concern then I would say,

If you want "Fun" Cans then get the Beyers
If you want "Reference " quality clinically accurate cans go for the Senns.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are vastly different headphones. HD650 has more warmth and more bass depth. There is a veil (quite famous), and the treble is a bit more harsh in sound...a bit more raw.

nicely put holland. most of what you mentioned matches my experience, but i do disagree with the quoted point about the HD650 having more bass depth than the DT990. i think it's quite the opposite. i have tested the responses with bass sweeps down to 20hz and the HD650 rolls off earlier than the DT990. also, i find the DT990 to have more bass in general, as well as better punch/texture (but not by a large margin). although, i did find that the HD650 have a bit tighter bass...they're just quicker headphones in general.

Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're sensitive to sibilance, the DT990 will kill you. I use all my Beyers with a 120-ohm adapter. I think it sounds better. It will help with the highs. Beyer's own amp has an output impedance of 100 ohm. I strongly believe Beyerdynamic designs there headphones to conform to the IEC suggestion of 120 ohm headphone output jack impedance.

interesting, i'm going to have to try this. i find the beyers to be a bit bright for me and usually i resort to equalization to remedy this. maybe the 120-ohm adapter can help me avoid an equalizer.

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 24
I am also sensitive to trebles and have just DT880 which should be less sibilant and more balanced than 990 in whole frequency range and all I can say FWIR here is that you will hate DT990. Seriously even DT880 is sometimes too sibiliant for sensitive ears.. I dont even try to imagine how DT990 have to be harsh if their trebles are even more pronounced than those of DT880.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 24
The bass of the 990's is stronger but to my ears, the bass of the Senns is clearer and as I'm not a BassHead, perfectly adequate for me
It's taken only a slight adjustment of my EQ to remedy all but a tiny bit of the harshness of the highs on my DT990's. I know that for some, using any EQ is a cardinal sin but if it makes you feel better, Do it.

Goatzii,
Are you in the UK.? I noticed that the Senn IE-8's were much lower at Amazon.UK than here but they wouldn't to me ship in the US. So I would assume that Senns are much less expensive in the UK. and would account for the more equal pricing of the Beyers and Senns.
It's amazing how different the price can be from place to place. I got my DT990's at an unusualy low price for 214.00 (Inc. Shipping) USD. and my Senns were 399.00 (Inc Expedited shipping) USD so here in The States the price difference is substantial.
On Amazon today, the beyers are listed for 269.00 min. and the Senns are 499.00.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also sensitive to trebles and have just DT880 which should be less sibilant and more balanced than 990 in whole frequency range and all I can say FWIR here is that you will hate DT990. Seriously even DT880 is sometimes too sibiliant for sensitive ears.. I dont even try to imagine how DT990 have to be harsh if their trebles are even more pronounced than those of DT880.

The DT880's are generaly considered to be more balanced and smoother than the 990's (Even though the 990's are a higher number) but are harder to find below list price because they are more popular.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 24
I have owned both. These headphones are very different. I had the DT990 for a few months and listened with them extensively. In the end, I could not tolerate the exaggerated treble. I bought the HD650s, and sold the DT990s the day after I first plugged in the 650s. The HD650s have powerful, tight bass, smooth mids, and clear, balanced highs. I have not found them lacking for any sort of music, from Coltrane to Opeth.

If you like lots of treble and still want deep bass, the DT990s will be a good choice. If you want something more balanced at the high end and in the mids that still produces excellent bass, go for the HD650s.

You definitely need to have a good amp for either of these cans. I don't know anything about the amp you linked, but to get the sound they're capable of, you will need an amp that can put out some real juice. A good receiver or integrated amp will probably be fine if you already have one.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 24
I agree that the DT990 and the HD650 are different. However neither is my cup of tea and I would much rather have a DT880 250 ohm (2003 edition) to either. And IMO the DT880 250 ohm (2005 edition) does not sound as open and detailed as the 2003 edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back