Beyerdynamic DT880s or T1s (in addition to HD600s)?
Aug 18, 2014 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pehovy

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm Jeff, just joined head-fi - I'll talk about myself a little bit more later.
I really need quick help with headphone choice.
I'm music producer and listener. I love all of the electronic music - that means bassy EDM, chill EDM, IDM, Old school (Jarre, Kraftwerk etc). I do also listen to some acoustic recordings - most likely piano or mallets - stuff without vocals generally.
I decided to buy myself two pairs of headphones. It's always good to know if your music sound good on multiple setups, right?
First choice was very obvious for me, as every friend of mine talks about "those godly sennheisers". HD800s are not available in any local stock (I'm not fan of internet shopping) so I'll be ordering HD600s. Now, I already heard godly bass of beyers DT770s, so that's second brand I choose.
The problem is though - I hesitate between DT880s and T1s. Both are available, but I'm kind of afraid of getting them - I'm not sure if I'll hear any difference, as I never had any contact with "the greatest sound quality". Also - if i hear the quality difference - wouldn't be that kind of "unfair" to listen to Hd600s and T1s as comparable models? And  last hesitation - will they sound any better since I'll be driving them with only Asus Xonar Essence sound card (at least for now, I don't want to spend every cent I have)?
So once again - maybe the proper choice is less quality but fair comparison to HD600s with DT880s?  Or T1s play good with my card and help me hear more? Please answer asap, I'll be ordering them in next 3 days.

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 6
  Hi! I'm Jeff, just joined head-fi - I'll talk about myself a little bit more later.
I really need quick help with headphone choice.
I'm music producer and listener. I love all of the electronic music - that means bassy EDM, chill EDM, IDM, Old school (Jarre, Kraftwerk etc). I do also listen to some acoustic recordings - most likely piano or mallets - stuff without vocals generally.
I decided to buy myself two pairs of headphones. It's always good to know if your music sound good on multiple setups, right?
First choice was very obvious for me, as every friend of mine talks about "those godly sennheisers". HD800s are not available in any local stock (I'm not fan of internet shopping) so I'll be ordering HD600s. Now, I already heard godly bass of beyers DT770s, so that's second brand I choose.
The problem is though - I hesitate between DT880s and T1s. Both are available, but I'm kind of afraid of getting them - I'm not sure if I'll hear any difference, as I never had any contact with "the greatest sound quality". Also - if i hear the quality difference - wouldn't be that kind of "unfair" to listen to Hd600s and T1s as comparable models? And  last hesitation - will they sound any better since I'll be driving them with only Asus Xonar Essence sound card (at least for now, I don't want to spend every cent I have)?
So once again - maybe the proper choice is less quality but fair comparison to HD600s with DT880s?  Or T1s play good with my card and help me hear more? Please answer asap, I'll be ordering them in next 3 days.

For a proper answer, the person responding will have to know both your sound card and the cans.  If you don't get answers here, there is an entire sub-section of the forum devoted to computer audio.  There are also threads on this forum devoted to each of these cans.

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 6
If you read my post carefly, you can see my soundcard is Asus Xonar Essence :p I asked If it's enough to fully enjoy T1s quality. That's the most important thing. If that combination (again: Asus Xonar Essence ST as a soundcard + Beyerdynamics Tesla T1 cans) will give me the 100% of its potential. And If quality of T1s won't just nail Sennheiser headphones.
If there's something I'm missing and still giving you wrong/not enough information - just don't waste your time. If this topic stays silent, I'm just going to buy DT1s and keep  better model dreams for the future.

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 6
I own the DT880s and the T1's, and have heard the HD600's. 
880 vs hd600 - the 600s are more laid back and smooth sounding, whereas the 880s are brighter and airy. kinda the opposite ends of the spectrum.
880 vs t1 - t1's have more bass presence than the 880s, but also with the mids a bit recessed.  The 880s are a little easier to drive the 600 ohm t1,not sure if the xonar is going to be enough to drive them well.  t1 is probably better with electronic music, but 880s are great with vocal and classical.  Overall, the t1 are a better headphone, but the 880s are probably the better value.

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 6
Owned all 3 - sold DT880 and HD600 recently.

This might interest : http://www.head-fi.org/t/727739/comparison-review-beyerdynamic-s-siblings-the-classic-dt880-vs-the-flagship-t1

HD600 and DT880 (or T1) are IMO a wonderful match together - both reasonably neutral, but the HD600 more natural sounding with better timbre and overall tonality.  The DT880 (and T1) are more neutral, with more speed and detail.

The good thing about your Xonar is that if it's not quite up to the mark with a 600 ohm can like the T1, you can always go line level out to an external amp at a later stage, or go digital out (eg if you're a gamer) to an external dac/amp, and still have  the gaming dsps available.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 6
OKAY, so. I decided to go with DT880s, at least for now. I think it'll be enough for an elecronic musician and beginning audiophile, plus they're be fair rival for HD600s. And yes, I know these two are very different sounding. That's exactly why I chose to have two models.
I'll be probably doing review of both Senns and Beyers in few weeks.
Thanks for opinions everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back