Beyerdynamic DT880 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000
Jun 11, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by palchiu
The list price is USD $1000
eek.gif

But after 30~40% off discount, they still very expansive. My god~

As the price provided from the Hi-Fi.com, it costs about 850 USD...

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #32 of 36
Interesting review, esp to me: who own DT931 and thinking about W1000 as the next target. You compared two companies for me.

Sometimes I think ATH has too many high-price modules, and couldn't help suspecting if they all are well designed or not - I mean, presumably they worth the prices but not quite different from each other, and share some key technologies and design, thus only several critical modules are worth of buying.

What's your comment?

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #33 of 36
Great review!
After reading this review I didn't see anything negative that it suggested about the DT880. I don't own and haven't heard either of these headphones, but I'm still interested in hearing the DT880s. The AT2000s too, but at these prices I doubt it. I always had the feeling that ATs have been overpriced, although I can perfectly understand their appeal. I will still keep my eyes peeled for a used pair at a decent price, as I will for 880s.
I recommend more of you head-fiers buy the AT2000s! Then sell them to me!
orphsmile.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by wwmidia
Sometimes I think ATH has too many high-price modules, and couldn't help suspecting if they all are well designed or not - I mean, presumably they worth the prices but not quite different from each other, and share some key technologies and design, thus only several critical modules are worth of buying.

What's your comment?

By "modules" I assume you mean headphone models.

Audio-Technica and Sennheiser seem to produce the most headphone models. They cover the market with variety of types and from low cost to high.

I'm in favor of more models and greater choice.

The manufacturers are always going to make sure their higher priced models are justified in some way, usually with better sound quality and/or appearance/materials.

Sometimes, the difference between models may not be that great.

For example, the ATH-AD1000 costs about half as much as the AD2000. If they sound very similar, the AD1000 would be the better choice for most people. This is just speculation on my part; I've never heard the AD1000.

Jun 12, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
By "modules" I assume you mean headphone models.

Audio-Technica and Sennheiser seem to produce the most headphone models. They cover the market with variety of types and from low cost to high.

I'm in favor of more models and greater choice.

The manufacturers are always going to make sure their higher priced models are justified in some way, usually with better sound quality and/or appearance/materials.

Sometimes, the difference between models may not be that great.

For example, the ATH-AD1000 costs about half as much as the AD2000. If they sound very similar, the AD1000 would be the better choice for most people. This is just speculation on my part; I've never heard the AD1000.

Thanks for the correction.
What you said is plainly clean. But I'm keeping an eye on how far ATH could go along with this way. Suppose, if they introduce several new models every year, and do not reduce the prices of old ones, the niches for each model will be smaller again and again, that only induce confusing.
As to me I purposefully collect headphones with strongest brand style, like HD580, DT931. But it's really hard to tell which one is most 'audio technica'. I hope it is not L3000...couldn't afford anyway.
580smile.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #36 of 36
great comparison man. Agree with you mainly.

DT880 are more "fair" for classical; AD2000 more enjoyable - not what I'm looking for in classical
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back