Beyerdynamic))) DT880 v.2006: the return of the Music! :p ;)
Jul 13, 2006 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

amartignano

1000+ Head-Fier
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
Yesterday I received my new Beyer DT880 from Mr. Meier.
smily_headphones1.gif

img08603xb.jpg

This is the return of the DT880, I had the 2003 version.
This new version is almost identical in balance (slightly on the bright side, you know), but has more "hoomp" in the midbass and more detail with a slightly more controlled high, I guess (I don't have the old one to really compare A/B).

Anyway, the musicality of these headphones blows me away, especially voices are astonishingly natural and good sounding. I've forgot how good is to listen to a Beyer, and now I'm really thinking about getting also a new DT990
tongue.gif

Well done Beyerdynamic! The old good DT880 is still alive and kicking with one of the most musical sound around.
redface.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

bye
Andrew

Jul 13, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 33
Interesting. Might really be my next headphone (as I've been saying for quite some time
tongue.gif
).

P.S. not my next retailer
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 33
For me the old old skool dt990 was what started it all. Muddy, true, but huge soundstage, and sometimes muddy is good, especially for recordings made around the time of that headphone. For instance Bob Marley likes the old dt990s. But I digress...

I gave up on ordering from that Finnish site. On the 25.06 it had a lead time of 1-3 days for the new dt990s. Fast forward to now, and they only bothered to tell me that they have some problems getting them because I asked. No thanks, I'll pay the 10 extra Euros and get them from Jan. So they're on the way, we'll see what happens.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 33
i'm loving my DT880 too. what a world of difference coming from the e3c's! sometimes i just kept listening to it way past bedtime.. till like 4am before i realized i had to work 3 hours later...
redface.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 33
Yup! The new DT880 seems also more "magical" than the previous one. More coherence and a slightly warmer sound.

I wonder what the new DT990 can do, as I loved the 2003 version and the 2006 versions seem very improved from what I've read.

We will see
wink.gif

Andrew

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 33
Having recently heard both 2006 and an earlier edition of the DT880 side by side, the greatest improvements I heard were more refined mids and highs that were less bright. The cans also felt lighter on the head.

That was enough to persuade me to make the change. (Yet another excuse to indulge in another headphone
biggrin.gif
)

Just got my DT880 yesterday and am burning them in as I type, but preliminary listening reinforces the fact that these cans allow you to appreciate the music and not listen too critically.

The sound isn't as full as the HD650 w Equinox, at this point, but sure has a wider headstage.

Will try to post some of my observations once I have had more quality time with them.

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 33
These are by far my favorite cans-- and after hearing the HD600 and HD650 recently, I appreciate them even more. And after having the new ones for several months, I can definitely say it is worth the upgrade if you have the older version.

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 33
Hasn't Beyer themselves said there's really no sonic difference between newer and older DT880s? I just find it hard to believe, given that the only difference appears to be slightly rounded earcups vs. flat earcups. In other words, I'm not gonna "upgrade" when most indications are that there's been no change to the drivers.

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Hasn't Beyer themselves said there's really no sonic difference between newer and older DT880s? I just find it hard to believe, given that the only difference appears to be slightly rounded earcups vs. flat earcups. In other words, I'm not gonna "upgrade" when most indications are that there's been no change to the drivers.

Beyerdynamic didn't esplicitly spoke about a change in sound... but there is.
And the freq resp graphs of headroom between new and older are quite different. There is more difference in the graphs of the DT990 new/old.

bye
Andrew

Jul 15, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch

The HR graphs showed clear measured differences, including a reduction of the treble spike by at least 2-3dB from memory and a small but evident increase in the scope of the bass curve.

Actually amartignano, the new 990 has bigger differences to my eyes, graphically.

Jul 15, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Actually amartignano, the new 990 has bigger differences to my eyes, graphically.

Yes, the bass hump is reduced, and the highs "peaks" are similar to the new DT880. Given that the DT880 is a little bass-shy for my tastes, I think that the DT990 can be truly a wonderful reference headphone.

Andrew

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #14 of 33
I had a lot of affection for my old (2005) DT880, except for one thing: the dryness of the sound. Specifically, there seemed to be a slightly "spare" or feel to the sound signature.

How is the new version's sound in relation to the dryness issue?

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
I had a lot of affection for my old (2005) DT880, except for one thing: the dryness of the sound. Specifically, there seemed to be a slightly "spare" or feel to the sound signature.

How is the new version's sound in relation to the dryness issue?

Maybe I understand what you mean. I don't find the DT880 (also my past 2003 version) "dry", only a little lean on the bass.

Anyway, I can say to you that the overall balance in the new DT880 is the same of the old one. There are changes but are refinement based on the same sound signature. A little more body yes, but the overall feel is the same in the 2006 and the 2003 version.

bye
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back