beyerdynamic DT880 - Simply Superb!
Mar 6, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
My 600 Ohm DT990 is 18 years old and still sounds great. I replaced the cable, leather head strap, and ear cushions a couple of years ago, so it feels brand new all over again. I find my DT990 to have superior tonal quality and flatter frequency response than either the old or new DT880.

LOL, we were making the same post at the same time.
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Aren't there two different versions of the dt990? That review said there was a new version of the dt990 that came out in 2003, it also seemed to be an improvement, someone mind clarifying this?

There are also two DT990 models I have seen in shops. A "PRO" version and a "regular" one. What is the difference?

Mar 7, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #63 of 73
glad to see the the dt880 is finally getting the luv it deserves. From the moment i got these over yr. ago I knew they were special and gave that kind of sound i hear when I attend the symphony at Powell Hall in st. louis.
I've put off cable upgrades and dedicated amp and can only wonder how much better these cans can sound.

Mar 7, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by paspro
There are also two DT990 models I have seen in shops. A "PRO" version and a "regular" one. What is the difference?

The center plastic molded bar with the logo on the back of the "Pro" model is done in black plastic as is the rest of the shell. Also the two extendable forks are done in a black heat treated metal which is suppost to be more spring like. The forks on the "Pro" model do not extend down as far as the "Standard" model but they can be bent outward for better comfort. The drivers and the sound are the same as well as the ear cushions. The price is a little cheaper on the "Pro" model too.
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #65 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
I wonder how the 80 ohm DT770 drivers (suppost to be more neutral than the 250 and 600 ohm versions) would sound in the DT990 cup.

Mr. Phelps......er Radar: This wiil be your mission if you choose to accept. Let us know how it turns out. This tape will self distruct in 5 seconds.
orphsmile.gif
280smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
eggosmile.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #66 of 73
My 880's just arrived literally 5 minutes ago. Woop woop!
They're a lot smaller than I thought and they're so comfy!

Right, now to give them a listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #67 of 73
I'm speechless. Straight out of the box, and running through a porta corda and onboard computer sound, they sound brilliant to my ears. I'm hearing things I've never heard before and the sound of violins and voices are lovely.

Now to buy a 1212m and a decent amp, sorry wallet.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #69 of 73
I was able to hear the 880 once over transit -> bel canto dac 2 -> corda prehead. In comparision with the sennies we had (555, 595, and 650) they were terribly bright and lacking bass. I didn't like them.

Might just be me though.

Mar 8, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #70 of 73
Someone posted here on this forum that they had a very good experience with support from Beyer in the US. (Do a search?)

I also just got my Corda HA-2 MkII SE and Nora Jones sounds even better!
smily_headphones1.gif
and the amp has only been on for 2 hours or less.

EDIT: After upgrading from the CORDA HA-2. Oh, and I got a free little gift too!
icon10.gif
Thanks, Jan!

Mar 8, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #71 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Fox
What is the warranty period for Beyer phones? Have people had good experiences with servicing or replacing parts? This is with the 880s in mind.

If im not mistaken you have a standard 1 year warranty. The nice thing about these phones is that you can take them apart very easy, everything is user-replaceble. Havent had any experience with servicing though, neither have i ever heard anything about it (people always complain when stuff goes wrong, never hear them when things go right)

Mar 8, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Fox
Have people had good experiences with servicing or replacing parts? This is with the 880s in mind.

The first pair of DT880's I had developed an intermediate cutting-out of the right channel. Beyer US replaced them quickly and with no problem. No troubles since. Afraid I don't remember offhand what the warranty period is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back