Beyerdynamic DT880 Modding
Apr 10, 2014 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NotaLefty

100+ Head-Fier
I want to buy a pair of DT880 Premium's, but there are a few things that I don't like about them. I would prefer two detachable cables, rather than one attached. Also, since the drivers are not angled, I would like to replace the pads with angled ones. I have never modified a pair of headphones, so I'm not sure how difficult it would be to do a dual-detachable cable mod on the 880's. After doing some quick searching, I can't seem to find any angled pads that would fit the 880's. I don't really care whether they're leather or velour. 

So to the question - Has anyone done the mods that I have listed above or know how I would go about doing it if it isn't too difficult? Also, are there angled pads that fit the 880's? Thanks in advance for any help!

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 12
Alpha Pads fit the DTxx0s nicely and are angled. Why would you want to swap out the pads though? The DT880 pads' foam is designed to compliment their semi-open back cups, putting non velour on those COULD make them sound terrible. 

Here's my old pair of DT880s with a detachable cable, single entry. It's super easy man.

That same pair of DT880s with my DT770s. 

This is what needs to be done, thats it.

OR you could do this. I terminated my DT770 600 ohm Premium to 2 3 pin mini-xlrs. This is more difficult, you have to make the entry hole for the right cup.

I hope this helped!

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 12
Alpha Pads fit the DTxx0s nicely and are angled. Why would you want to swap out the pads though? The DT880 pads' foam is designed to compliment their semi-open back cups, putting non velour on those COULD make them sound terrible. 

Here's my old pair of DT880s with a detachable cable, single entry. It's super easy man.

That same pair of DT880s with my DT770s. 

This is what needs to be done, thats it.

OR you could do this. I terminated my DT770 600 ohm Premium to 2 3 pin mini-xlrs. This is more difficult, you have to make the entry hole for the right cup.

I hope this helped!
I just bought a secondhand pair, and the pads look pretty nasty from the pictures, so I need to change them regardless. I just figured that I would see if there were any viable pad replacements other than stock. I'm really leaning towards the dual entry mod, but I have never modded a pair of headphones to that extent, so I'm pretty nervous about doing it. I also have no clue as to what things I need to order to make that possible.

Also, those alpha pads look fantastic. Was that your picture? If so, how did it affect the sound and comfort?

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 12
Yeah those are all my pictures. The seal is awesome with them, and the bass response increases a little bit but you sacrifice a little bit of the soundstage. Comfort: awesome.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 12
You have to be pretty careful when soldering the beyer DTxxx drivers, the voice coil wire will come off the tabs you solder the wires to if you heat it up too much or snag it with your soldering iron. Just a warning. I've never done it, but many have.

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 12
Apr 14, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 12
  You have to be pretty careful when soldering the beyer DTxxx drivers, the voice coil wire will come off the tabs you solder the wires to if you heat it up too much or snag it with your soldering iron. Just a warning. I've never done it, but many have.

I'll agree with that one, I had to replace one of my DT990s drivers due to those stupid little hairthin wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back