Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm AMP?
Jul 14, 2014 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fxsoap

New Head-Fier
I’m looking at purchasing the Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm. After reading and watching a few reviews I realized that they require an amp. I will be using these exclusively for gaming and want the most accurate and immersive sound.

Is there a set better than this one for gaming or is this a good choice? If so, what amp (looking for cheap, saw Magni or Moni? Something like that.) would be recommended for this?

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 10
I like using the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 external DAC/Amp to drive my 600-Ohm Beyer headphones, $270+shipping.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

If you end up getting a Modi DAC, get the one with the S/PDIF optical input, works with sound cards (like headphone surround sound).
The USB one bypass the sound card features.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Are these headphones over-kill for strictly gaming use?

Not really over kill for gaming use......but.
The DT880 Pro 250-Ohm is almost as good as the Premium 600-Ohm and the Pro 250 is a lot less cash.

Check out the AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) and Audio Technica ATH-AD900Xs (40-Ohm).
As the ATH-AD900Xs are only 40-Ohm, they should work fairly good without a headphone amplifier.
What sources are you plugging the headphones into?

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 10
Not really over kill for gaming use......but.
The DT880 Pro 250-Ohm is almost as good as the Premium 600-Ohm and the Pro 250 is a lot less cash.

Check out the AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) and Audio Technica ATH-AD900Xs (40-Ohm).
As the ATH-AD900Xs are only 40-Ohm, they should work fairly good without a headphone amplifier.
What sources are you plugging the headphones into?

+1

I agree. Skip the DT880 600 ohm version and go for one of the other options PurpleAngel listed. Then you can put the difference in money toward a better soundcard or better amp. :)

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 10
it would be a direct plug into the back of the motherboard, no soundcard inbetween...
would you still recommend the AKG K612 Pro?

I read a lot of stuff about sound leaking out of these and they use a battery?

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 10
It would be a direct plug into the back of the motherboard, no sound card in between...

Do you know the make and model of your motherboard?
Get a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (Walmart $85)
Comes with a built headphone amplifier, easily drive the K612 or DT880 250-Ohm.
The DT880s offer a decently balanced sound, maybe a little on the "bright" side.
The K612 Pro mostly get positive reviews.

The DT880 and K612 are both open headphones, so the "audio leak" should be about the same.

The Audio Technica ATH-AD900Xs are open headphones, they are only 40-Ohms, easy to drive without the need of an amplifier.

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 10

Do you know the make and model of your motherboard?
Get a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (Walmart $85)
Comes with a built headphone amplifier, easily drive the K612 or DT880 250-Ohm.
The DT880s offer a decently balanced sound, maybe a little on the "bright" side.
The K612 Pro mostly get positive reviews.

The DT880 and K612 are both open headphones, so the "audio leak" should be about the same.

The Audio Technica ATH-AD900Xs are open headphones, they are only 40-Ohms, easy to drive without the need of an amplifier.

I should note I’m completely unaware of a lot of the jargon used and have very little experience with this realm of audio. I have almost strictly bought “gamer” style or gamer advertised HP.

Motherboard is an Asus Extreme Z edition!
I have seen a few videos saying that a sound card was not necessary and caused a lot of interference to sound and bleeding into quality. Is that not accurate?
Is leaking/bleeding audio a problem/issue with gaming?

Also I own these and have used them for Xbox gaming, they have an optical port, but are wireless HP. Are they good enough for just gaming?
Pic:
http://cdn-assets.turtlebeach.com/products/51/images/px5_1.jpg
Link to site:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/ps3-headsets/ear-force-px5/51

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 10
It would be a direct plug into the back of the motherboard, no sound card in between...

Can't be sure your motherboard can drive 120-Ohm headphones.
That why I recommend the Sound blaster Z sound card.

All open headphone leak, but it's usually not enough to really bother someone in the same room (on an airplane might be a different story).
Most headphones do not come with batteries, only noise canceling or wireless have need of a battery.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Motherboard is an Asus Extreme Z edition!
I have seen a few videos saying that a sound card was not necessary and caused a lot of interference to sound and bleeding into quality. Is that not accurate?
Is leaking/bleeding audio a problem/issue with gaming?
Also I own these and have used them for Xbox gaming, they have an optical port, but are wireless HP. Are they good enough for just gaming?
Pic:
http://cdn-assets.turtlebeach.com/products/51/images/px5_1.jpg
Link to site:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/ps3-headsets/ear-force-px5/51

Motherboard on-board audio has been getting better every year.
But I'm guessing your looking at motherboard's that cost $200 or more for the really good built in audio hardware.
With modern sound cards installed into modern motherboards, there is usually very little interference or bleeding (if any noticeable at all). 
Technically, getting an external DAC/Amp is usually the cleanest audio

Unless your motherboard comes with DDL (Dolby Digital Live), the TBS PX5's surround sound features will not work with it.
A sound card like the Xonar DX or D1 (used $60) will provide DDL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back