Beyerdynamic DT831 Recable - Questions/Suggestions/Support
Mar 22, 2007 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mehtheinfernal

Head-Fier
Okay, so my cat chewed my dt831 cable in half awhile back.
I want to recable them and add in 120 ohm resistors while I'm at it (been using an Oehlbach adapter up until now).

I've lurked the other threads for awhile reading up, trying to build the courage to go through with this. It's not going to fix itself though.

So, what would you guys suggest component wise for recabling these? I definitely don't need enhanced highs. Was thinking of Mogami mini-quad. I also want to put nylon sleeving over it. What sizes should I get? Maybe my cat just has a fetish for rubber chew toys. I don't know. At any rate, all wires have now been coated in BitterYuck (found at fine pet stores everywhere). Adapter wise, iron dreamer suggested Neutrik's since they would be roomy enough to house the resistors as well.

Once I decide on the parts I'll try to take some pictures of my progress (does anyone have a picture of the internals of the dt831's?).

Any help/suggestions/input/experiences/etc. would be greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks!

Mar 23, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 4
That Sucks! But it's not a problem, it's an opportunity.

I just got the Beyerdynamic 831, and eagerly await your report. Here's hoping for an inspired upgrade that looks amazing, sounds fabulous, makes everyone jealous, and starts a new trend in Beyerdynamic 831 recabling.

Go go go!!!

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 4
If you're going to use Starquad, you want 1/4' Nylon Covering and 1/2" 3:1 heatshrink IMO. I did a quide on recabling DT880 and it might prove helpful. The link is in my signature.

Regarding the resistors, if you don't feel the need to change the resistance again, I'd install them in the driver enclosures as there is more room to work and you're more likely to short something out if you install them in the connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back