Beyerdynamic DT770pro80's V Audio Technica ATH A900's
Dec 8, 2007 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Rattle

500+ Head-Fier
I recently bought the 900's and while I love the sound and positioning I kinda dont like the head band, the 2 pads on top that come down on your head, well they just bother me, I dont know if they will ever be comfortable for me.

The 770's look much more comfortable to me.

Was wondering if anyone has both can you give me a comparison.
I am running unamped out of an XFI extrme music card but I will be picking up a pa2v2 shortly.

Main listening is rock/metal/beastie boys/some trance/D&B

Just looking for suggestions and comparisons between the 2 as I may move to the 770's

thanks.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 22
I had the a700's, and I ended up returning them amd getting the 770's. They are very comfortable and sound great with all of the genres you listed. I listen to rock/Metal with them as well as the occasional trance song. The powerful bass is well....powerful! Then will require some time to burn in, and the pa2v2 will work with them just fine. However, you may want to invest in a better amp later on.

Also, the pads on the a900/700 suck. The ones on the dt770 are much better. Take a look on ebay, you can get the 770's for ~150.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 22
My A900's have pads that have lost all their vinyl, making them very bass-light.

But aside from that, the DT770 has a much warmer sound signature, less 'airy' than the A900.

I liked the DT770 the first time i put it on my head. I've had the A900 for a couple weeks and I'm not sure i like it.

Dec 8, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 22
To date, the 770s are the most comfortable 'phones I have had on my head. I miss 'em.

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 22
Most comfortable for me is the MB-Quart QP55x.

They weigh nothing, have no clamping force at all, have very soft velour pads, and what tiny pressure they exert against the head is by four elastic bands on each earcup instead of a fixed set of pivot points.

But they don't compare to either of the headphones being discussed here in sound, and they're open with <1db of isolation.

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most comfortable for me is the MB-Quart QP55x.

They weigh nothing, have no clamping force at all, have very soft velour pads, and what tiny pressure they exert against the head is by four elastic bands on each earcup instead of a fixed set of pivot points.

But they don't compare to either of the headphones being discussed here in sound, and they're open with <1db of isolation.

funny you should mention those mb quarts. I just bought a pair from the FS forum that have modified DT770 drivers in them! I cant wait to see how they sound.

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 22
That should be interesting if nothing else.

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 22
couple days later and they do not bother me so much, i cant really even feel the pads on my head now. The sound has opened up a bit, I am really liking these.

I think maybe if I buy another set of good cans sometimes I might try the dt770's but I am very happy with the a900's now
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 22
I own both the A900 and DT770/80. I find both to be very comfortable. The A900 3D wing support may take some getting use to for some listeners but I didn't find them to be uncomfortable. As previously mentioned, the earpads on the A900 don't last long and will flake and peel rather quickly. I recommend that you replace the A900 earpads with A1000 earpads from bluetin or W5000 pads from audiocubes. The DT770 velour pads are indeed comfy and remains cool so that for some listeners their ear won't get hot and sweaty.

The A900 has a foward sound that can come off sounding bright with some recordings. It has excellent detail and tight bass that doesn't extend deep. Many also will find that the A900 has it mids recessed. The DT770 on the other hand has a warm sound to it with bass that extends quite deep. Some may find the bass in the DT770 to overpower everything else or sound a little too flabby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back