BEYERDYNAMIC dt770pro 80Ohm vs 250ohms
May 5, 2007 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Gurra1980

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi friends!

It doesn't mater how much I love my 650 with some music, but I can't stand to listen to metal with them, I always seem to fall asleep. I knowed this before I bought them though but I thought I could live with it.

So I have searched for a headphone that is more fun, I like dt880 but I want more bass (I even Eq up the trebble and bass on my iriver when using ksc75! I like it!! Long live TEAM V-Power! so dt770 seems to be a good choise, I have even been thinking of Grado sr-225, but I didn't like RS-1 due to the small soundstage and it had to little bass. So as I can understand, dt770 would be a good companion to my 650. What do you guys/gals think? is it a really fun can? And is the 80Ohms maybe to neutral for me, I would like to have the lower 80Ohm so I could use it with my iriver if I had to.

Or do you have any other suggestion?

Thanx

May 5, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Head-Fi friends!

It doesn't mater how much I love my 650 with some music, but I can't stand to listen to metal with them, I always seem to fall asleep. I knowed this before I bought them though but I thought I could live with it.

So I have searched for a headphone that is more fun, I like dt880 but I want more bass (I even Eq up the trebble and bass on my iriver when using ksc75! I like it!! Long live TEAM V-Power! so dt770 seems to be a good choise, I have even been thinking of Grado sr-225, but I didn't like RS-1 due to the small soundstage and it had to little bass. So as I can understand, dt770 would be a good companion to my 650. What do you guys/gals think? is it a really fun can? And is the 80Ohms maybe to neutral for me, I would like to have the lower 80Ohm so I could use it with my iriver if I had to.

Or do you have any other suggestion?

Thanx

I don't really care to use the DT770 with metal or grunge. The mids left something to be desired with guitar passages and vocals.

You may find otherwise, so if you could demo a DT770 or purchase from a place with a liberal return policy, I'd go that route before dropping $150 - $200.

The DT770 is a "fun" can in the sense that it does have that air-moving bass (at least to my ears). I really liked it for pop music, dance music, etc. I like the can, but my experience with metal and grunge made me reach for my other cans.

You claim to like the DT880 but need more bass. You also claim to have no problems EQ'ing. Why not EQ with the DT880 to get the bass to where you need it to be?

May 5, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 18
What you need is DT990's, not 770's. They are like DT880's with more bass.

May 5, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I pay attention when Skylab offers his opinion on the Beyer line of headphones.

May 5, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really care to use the DT770 with metal or grunge. The mids left something to be desired with guitar passages and vocals.

You may find otherwise, so if you could demo a DT770 or purchase from a place with a liberal return policy, I'd go that route before dropping $150 - $200.

The DT770 is a "fun" can in the sense that it does have that air-moving bass (at least to my ears). I really liked it for pop music, dance music, etc. I like the can, but my experience with metal and grunge made me reach for my other cans.

You claim to like the DT880 but need more bass. You also claim to have no problems EQ'ing. Why not EQ with the DT880 to get the bass to where you need it to be?

I am mainly going to use it with my x-can and therefor no eq in the chain.

May 5, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

The dt990 with metal housing is to expensive.

The dt990pro that is made of black plastic (looks like it) is super cheap, what is the difference?

May 5, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 18
Hahaha.
Reading the title i thought the thread was discussing the DT770 with different impedances.
Never listened beyers, but i read that the DT880 is the neutral one and the DT990 has more bass response. Can't say anything from my head about the DT770 though ...

May 5, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

The dt990 with metal housing is to expensive. The dt990pro that is made of black plastic (looks like it) is super cheap, what is the difference?

I can assure you that the PRO-version has very good SQ, at the fraction of the prize of the consumer version. Some people speak about more forward midrange in the consumer version, though other's hear only minor differences. Regardless, the prize/performance ratio of the DT 990 PRO is excellent...

May 5, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 18
That said, I compared the older "pro" version and the new (2005) consumer version side by side, and I felt the improvements were well worth the money.

May 5, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahaha.
Reading the title i thought the thread was discussing the DT770 with different impedances.
Never listened beyers, but i read that the DT880 is the neutral one and the DT990 has more bass response. Can't say anything from my head about the DT770 though ...

Yea maybe I choosed the wrong title, although it was one of the questions.

May 5, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

That said, I compared the older "pro" version and the new (2005) consumer version side by side, and I felt the improvements were well worth the money.

I haven't found any store that has the 990 here in Gothenburg, so I can't listen to them, but if I chould buy 990 then my 650 has to go. what are the main difference between 650 and 990? I guess the 990 is more bright, how about the PRAT that is so wonderfull on my 650? Vocals? soundstage? I'll check what headroom says to.

May 5, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 18
i know what it feels like to listen to metal with the HD650 and HD595. horrendous...absolutely horrendous.

one of the reasons why i went with the DT990 '05. i think theyre excellent for metal. definitely fun. brings out the energy in metal. even though the mids are a little recessed when directly compared to the HD650, i think theyre sufficient. everything on these cans are sufficient. bass, mids, highs......

ok mebbe the highs can get a lil high at times
biggrin.gif

EDIT: just an FYI..ive tried listening to metal on my DT990 '05 (250 ohm) with my director's Darkvoice 336i. i almost fell asleep. the sound was a lil too warm for my liking and everything was so friggin SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW.....it took the energy away from listening to metal. even Metallica's S&M made me sleepy. ugh...

my conclusion.... tube amps + metal = BIG NO NO

May 5, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

I purchased my DT 990 PRO for $219. I guess I got a good deal...

May 5, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

what are the main difference between 650 and 990?

More realistic bass, more presence, and more funny ride. What else do you want?

May 6, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More realistic bass, more presence, and more funny ride. What else do you want?

I want it to sound like I am there at the stage!
wink.gif
No but actually I really like my 650, but I never got goosebumps like I actually do with my ksc75 some times.

Maybe I'll just have to take the risk and do a Blindbuy. I just can't think of any other can that will work for me right now.

And BTW is there a genre that the 990 doesn't do very good? or are they very good alrounders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back