Beyerdynamic DT770 (Pro) Ear Pad Options – Pictures and Part Numbers.
Jan 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

KillingTime

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]I thought I’d post some information on ear pad options for the venerable DT770 Pro, and it’s HiFi cousin – the DT770. If you know where to look on the Beyer website, or if you live on HeadFi, then the answers are simple, but if like me you just wanted some good closed back headphones with great  isolation, then the options can be a bit bewildering.[/size]
[size=medium]For those that don’t know, Beyer make a range of professional headphones that come with detachable ear pads. Some of the more popular headphones are listed below:[/size]

[size=medium]770 Series (closed back). [/size]
[size=medium]880 Series (semi-open back).[/size]
[size=medium]990 Series (Open back)[/size]

[size=medium]Within the 770 Series you have:[/size]

[size=medium]DT770 Pro - Studio Headphones[/size]
[size=medium]DT770 - HiFi Headphones[/size]
[size=medium]DT770M - Drummer Headphones[/size]

[size=medium]Each headphone series above features detachable ear pads, and while they’re all interchangeable fit-wise (all have the same mounting dimensions), their acoustic properties differ. This means if you put the wrong ear pads on your earphones, you’ll change the sound. This wouldn’t be a problem if each ear pad looked completely different, but many of the ear pads look the same. Case in point, the grey velour stock pads that are shipped with standard headphones (880’s are different to the 770’s)[/size]

[size=medium]Why is all this important?[/size]

[size=medium]If you want to replace worn pads, or wish to change to pads that offer a different feel (leather instead of velour etc) without changing the sound of the headphone, you need to locate the correct ear pad. Many retail outlets I’ve found (web and real) don’t specify the manufacturer’s part number, and rely on visual appearance alone. It’s not enough. The culprits tend to be box shifters with little manufacturer specific knowledge. They offer the best deal, but if you end up with incorrect pads, it’s money wasted, however cheap.[/size]
[size=medium]I recently wanted a pair of 770s as the sound isolation on my 880’s was letting in too much background noise. The 770’s benefit from around 20dB of external noise isolation, which can be increased if you change the stock velour pads for vinyl.[/size]

[size=medium]To answer the question “how do you know which pads to buy for a particular headphone”, you simply look at the manufacturers specification sheet for the phones you own. The part number are listed in each sheet.[/size]

[size=medium]A common mistake on the 770 series is to buy 770M vinyl pads, and place them on the 770\770Pro (once fitted, externally, they look identical). The 770M headphone is designed for drummers, and their pads lack the acoustic damping found on 770\770Pro pads.[/size]

[size=medium][/size]

[size=medium][/size]

[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]Beyerdynamic recommended pads:[/size]

EDT770V. P/N: 926660. SilverVelour. For 770Pro and HiFi.

[size=medium]EDT770VB. P/N: 906166. BlackVelour. For 770Pro and HiFi.[/size]
[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]EDT770S. P/N: 904783. Vinyl. For the 770M. Note the lack of rear perforations.[/size]
[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]EDT330S. P/N: 407097. Vinyl. For the 770Pro and HiFi.[/size]
[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Pads that will fit the 770 but are designed for other Beyer headphones:[/size][/size]

[size=medium]EDT300GT. P/N: 900780. Clear. Designed for HS300 Aviation. Have a good following with the 770Pro.[/size]

[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]Hope this helps![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back