Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro disassembly?
Jun 16, 2007 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GTanaka

Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi,
I've had my DT770 Pro 80s for about a year, and being my first head of a audiophile cans, I can't say I'm at all dissatisfied, though I can feel the heavy bass. But to the point, the fact is that I can be a little rough with my phones in carrying them around my neck, and the external cable has begun to come out a little. It's nowhere near anything that needs worry, but I was wondering if anyone here at head-fi had any knowledge on disassembly or replacement of this cable in case the problem came up. If otherwise, would you recommend the full cost of shipping them back for warranty instead?

Jun 17, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 4
Yeah. It's just so easy we'd hoped you'd figured it out on your own.

Remove the earpad.

You will see a retaining ring. Along the outside edge of the ring you will see where there are some slots where you can like insert a tool.

Using a thin flat-edged tool, gently pry up the retaining ring. Be careful that you don't slip, because you can easily perforate the baffle, and repairing the baffle is annoying.

Don't worry about the retaining ring, it costs $3.

Anyway, gently pry up one slot's worth of the retaining ring, and then another, and then it basically comes out.

After that, the baffle pretty much falls out.

The driver is snapped and glued into the baffle, and protected by the perforated aluminum grille built into the baffle.

You should be able to use a zip-tie to secure your cable inside the earcup.

Oh, and out-of-warranty service from beyer usa is $25 + parts + shipping both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back