Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 upgrade
Jun 14, 2023 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JediMa70

500+ Head-Fier
I wanted to give a try to them, because I want a good closed back alternative to the few open that I have (my collection is in my signature). DT770 are ok (better than the boring AKG 371.. but they are just ok, i was expecting something better. What I should consider in the 250 price range? Good bass, good isolation and comfortable to wear.

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 8
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b + pad roll

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Jun 14, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Jun 15, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Check the MSR7b thread here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...ssions-discussion-thread.893314/post-17421606

and here :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...ssions-discussion-thread.893314/post-17463833

I will add a caveat to my own post above: as we all know, Aliexpress is a lottery - the generic pads I scored a few months ago sound great, but the same pads from the same supplier today could be identical in construction and sound, or they could be radically different.
I don't know the MSR7b how would you describe them sound and comfort wise?

Jun 15, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 8
I don't know the MSR7b how would you describe them sound and comfort wise?

With stock pads, I'd describe the sound as smooth and analytical. Bass is modest but accurate, mids are slightly recessed, and treble is a bit emphasized with lots of detail, but without sounding sizzly. If you like the snap and dynamism of Beyer headphones, the MSR7b doesn't have that, but what I like about them is that they never seem to put a foot wrong - even on tracks and passages where other phones might get messy, the ATs just effortlessly deliver.

With the Aliexpress pad hack, bass comes forward significantly and the soundstage opens up - everything becomes more emotive and engaging without losing that sense of effortless detail. The new pads are also super comfy and have a bit more room inside. The stock pads are quite small and my ears had to "tuck" inside.

Jun 15, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 8
With stock pads, I'd describe the sound as smooth and analytical. Bass is modest but accurate, mids are slightly recessed, and treble is a bit emphasized with lots of detail, but without sounding sizzly. If you like the snap and dynamism of Beyer headphones, the MSR7b doesn't have that, but what I like about them is that they never seem to put a foot wrong - even on tracks and passages where other phones might get messy, the ATs just effortlessly deliver.

With the Aliexpress pad hack, bass comes forward significantly and the soundstage opens up - everything becomes more emotive and engaging without losing that sense of effortless detail. The new pads are also super comfy and have a bit more room inside. The stock pads are quite small and my ears had to "tuck" inside.
Thanks

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 8
If you can stretch you budget a little bit you may be able to find a good deal on Focal Elegia, at least if you are in the US. I just got these for around 380 Euros (European Ebay) a couple of days ago and I am honestly pretty blown away. All the lukewarm reviews made lower my expectations quite a bit, but with a tiny bit of EQ these are slowly becoming my favorite pair for non-metal music. I have never tried a Focal before but now that I have I can definitely hear why they are known for dynamics and slam. Music details have this "tactile" quality to them and somehow the bass has great impact even in bass-light tracks or passages. It's quite noticeable and something I haven't really experienced with my other headphones at least not to the same degree.

When I was shopping around on Ebay I saw people from the US selling these for as low as $250-300, for me they are a blind buy at that price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back