BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO 80/250 Ohms + AMP
Oct 21, 2016 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nixxi

New Head-Fier
Hello all, i'm in the process of getting a new pair of headphones after my Sennheiser HD 558's died out. After some research I ended up picking between BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO 80 and 250 Ohms versions. As far as I can tell the 80 Ohms version have the most bass out of the different versions. As much as I liked my 558s I felt like they needed a bit more bass and somewhat quiet in some situations. And the amount of sound leakage wasn't ideal for summer because of the loud AC in my room. I found a pair of 80 Ohms online for about $120 which I thought were good enough to power with my motherboard's sound card (ASRock Z77 Extreme4). I don't have any experience with AMP/DACs and whatnot but I saw another deal of the 250 Ohms with a FiiO A1 Amp and some other small stuff for about $170. Which deal would be better? Or perhaps just the 250 Ohms with one of the Fiio E series AMPs? I would prefer to spend less than $200 in total. I am mainly going to use them for gaming and music listening (I listen to pretty much most genres). Thanks.

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 6

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Guess the FiiO A1 wound drive the DT770 somewhat decently, but the DT770 really need a more powerful headphone amplifier, then the A1.

I own the DT770 80-Ohm and 250-Ohm, but really prefer the sound of my semi-open Soundmagic HP200 headphones better.
Check out the Soundmagic HP150 (closed) headphones.

Maybe buy a Creative labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (used, $68), to go with whatever headphones you pick.
It's built in headphone amplifier is a fair bit more powerful, then the FiiO A1.

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 6

Toulouse

Head-Fier
I'm driving my DT770-80 with a FiiO A3 and enjoy it. I suspect the DT770-250 would be a handful for the A1.
As a side note, One thing I didn't like about the 250's was the cable - it is long and coiled. The 80 ohm is long and straight (I've braided mine to make it shorter.). Just a personal preference, but coiled cables aren't for me.

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 6

Nixxi

New Head-Fier
I'm driving my DT770-80 with a FiiO A3 and enjoy it. I suspect the DT770-250 would be a handful for the A1.
As a side note, One thing I didn't like about the 250's was the cable - it is long and coiled. The 80 ohm is long and straight (I've braided mine to make it shorter.). Just a personal preference, but coiled cables aren't for me.

Hmm...you're right about the coiled cable, I almost forgot about that! Did you ever try your 770s without the amp? How was the result compared to used the amp?

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 6

Toulouse

Head-Fier
My old ipod 5G needs the volume at about 50-60% with the DT770s and the sounds is ok; however, the little A3 seems to add a noticeable amount of depth.  Could just be my old ears.

Let me know what you end up with and how you like it.

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 6

jamescheru

Head-Fier
I received my Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 Ohms last Saturday. I’m really loving these Beyers, there a joy to listen.

The headphones had recessed mids right out of the box. However, with a burn in of less than 10 hours, I could see the changes in the sound signature. The mids and vocals are a lot clearer now. Bass was always good and now settling into a nice tight controlled low end with burn in. These headphones change a lot with burn in than any other headphones I ever had. I plan to let them burn in for a couple more hours.

I have been driving them using my Astell & Kern AK Jr. These cans need a proper desktop amplifier to bring out the sound. The operating range I have now on my Astell & Kern is from 55 (below which the sound is too low) and 75 (which is the maximum output of the player). This is a very small range. I was never able to listen to my Bose SoundTrue Ultras (which are infamous to have low volume level compared to other in ear headphones) above 70 on the DAP.

I previously have Fiio E07, which I think will be able to drive these headphones but I never liked the sound signature of Fiio E07s. There were too bright for my liking. I’m planning to get the Schiit stack - Schiit Modi 2U and Schiit Magni 2U to drive these headphones.
Please share your thoughts on Schiit Modi 2U and Schiit Magni 2U.

Users who are viewing this thread