Beyerdynamic DT770 or Mad Dog's and DAC/AMP?
Apr 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MrBeats

New Head-Fier
First off hello everyone this is my first post and my first foyer into great sound I hope.

I have a budget of around 500$ for this but I am having a bit of problems figuring out what DAC/AMP I should pair up with one of my final two options.

I can get a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 or 250 ohms for about 200$ or go all in and grab a pair of Mad Dog's [47ohms] from Mr Speakers for 300$.

This leaves me with about 200-300$ left for a DAC/AMP and here is where I could use some help. I am planing to use these for games movies and music. The reason I picked these two headphones in particular is because they are both closed backed and I need this as I often game not to far away from people 2-3 feet.

Ideally I would also like to use Dolby Headphone for games and something similar for movies. Is there anything out there in DAC/AMP that would do this for me?

So far the best that I have been able to come up with is to grab a ASUS Xonar Essence STX but I have it on good authority from Dan himself from Mr Speakers that this will not be enough

"The STX is really better for high impedance dynamic headphones, it's not a great match to a planar.    
People who use the STX take the line out to drive a better amp with good results...."

and to make matters worse I've been reading on the forms that the amp on the card isn't even really all the great for powering the Beyer's 80's

really really want Dolby Headphones for gaming is there any solution to this as sadly using RAC lines on the card seems to disable DH :frowning2:

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi,

Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm version is still a solid pick!

As far as I know the STX output impedance for headphones is aprox 10 Ohm.

Quote: Innerfidelity
(...) Damping factor is the load impedance divided by the source impedance. As a rule of thumb, a damping factor of 10 or more is desirable for the source to be able to drive the load with authority.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones-page-2

I guess STX won't have much troubles driving 80 Ohm Beyers. (Damping Factor = 8 is ok)

DT770 80 Ohm versions have more bass, while 250 Ohm versions are a bit more balanced.

I haven't heard Mr Speakers Mad Dog yet, based on some measurements and reviews I guess they have darker treble vs DT770 Beyers (Some people like them more, some don't)

You should read about Schiit Modi/Magni combo and you could also consider SoundMagic HP100.

Best Luck!

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 7
  I have a budget of around 500$ for this but I am having a bit of problems figuring out what DAC/AMP I should pair up with one of my final two options.
I can get a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 or 250 ohms for about 200$ or go all in and grab a pair of Mad Dog's [47ohms] from Mr Speakers for 300$.
This leaves me with about 200-300$ left for a DAC/AMP and here is where I could use some help. I am planing to use these for games movies and music.
The reason I picked these two headphones in particular is because they are both closed backed and I need this as I often game not to far away from people 2-3 feet.
Ideally I would also like to use Dolby Headphone for games and something similar for movies. Is there anything out there in DAC/AMP that would do this for me?

So far the best that I have been able to come up with is to grab a ASUS Xonar Essence STX but I have it on good authority from Dan himself from Mr Speakers that this will not be enough
"The STX is really better for high impedance dynamic headphones, it's not a great match to a planar.   People who use the STX take the line out to drive a better amp with good results...."
and to make matters worse I've been reading on the forms that the amp on the card isn't even really all the great for powering the Beyer's 80's
really really want Dolby Headphones for gaming is there any solution to this as sadly using RAC lines on the card seems to disable DH :frowning2:

I prefer my ATH-A900X's over the Beyer FT770 (80 & 250).
The Asus Xonar Essence STX does a fine job of driving all my headphones, even decently drives the Beyer DT880/DT990 600-Ohm versions.
Another option is to get the Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used $60.
The DX/D1 & STX/ST use the same C-Media CMI8878 audio processor.
Spend the rest of your budget for an external headphone amplifier.
Schiit Magni ($100) or Objective 2 ($130) external headphone amplifier can be hooked directly to the DX or D1 sound card (still can use the Dolby Headphone).

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 7
The ATH-A900X is actually not a bad idea how do you find the floating head pad thing's they kinda put me off a little without knowing how well the feel epically for 8h + listening. What is their sound-stage like compared to the DT770. Also, as far as bass go's cant you tone it down a bit manually?

Currently I'm looking at this for my setup: Xonar Soundcard > Fiio E17 > Fiio E09K > Headphones. Reason for this is; as far as I'm aware the Xonar cards do not output DH and other DSP over the RCA hookups :frowning2: But will output it trough the spif out

http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread/4725

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Did some checking on the ATH-A900x's and I remember why I after seeing them before I didn't like them is the wing system. Many many people have stated that they either do not like it for long listen times (2 points of pressure) and the bigger problem of some people who it just does not fit. In terms of audio it has better mid's than the DT770 but weaker base and I believe they both have about the same presence in the high's. Both are also very close in terms of their soundstage's though I believe the 900x's are a bit better. Basically a difference of > shape to < shape signitures. At this point I think I'm getting the DT770 250's (not as much overpowering base but still strong) and the Mad Dog's if the build has the money to afford them as they crush anything in the less than 300$ category.

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 7
  The ATH-A900X is actually not a bad idea how do you find the floating head pad thing's they kinda put me off a little without knowing how well the feel epically for 8h + listening. What is their sound-stage like compared to the DT770. Also, as far as bass go's cant you tone it down a bit manually?
Currently I'm looking at this for my setup: Xonar Soundcard > Fiio E17 > Fiio E09K > Headphones. Reason for this is; as far as I'm aware the Xonar cards do not output DH and other DSP over the RCA hookups :frowning2: But will output it trough the spif out
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread/4725

With the Xonar Essence STX & ST, you can't output Dolby Headphone thru the RCA line-output, just basic 2-channel.
But with the Xonar DX & D1, the 3.5mm green jack can function just like the STX/ST's RCA output or like a headphone output (without a true headphone amplifier).

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks this is just what I wanted to hear as this means I have a lot of options on how to connect my headphones. Will probably use the one of the two soundcards as the dac then use either the Fiio E09k or the Schiit Vali for my amp.

Cheers m8 should even be able to get my Mad Dogs now with this setup as it cuts the cost of a separate dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back