BEYERDYNAMIC DT770....80 or 250 Ohm
Dec 19, 2008 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SmoothSound

New Head-Fier
Looking for a closed heaphone with good bass to use for late night movies and gamming.

From what I have read it seems as though the BEYERDYNAMIC DT770's are what I am looing for ( bass heavy ).

Now... I assume the 80 ohm version will be easier to drive over the 250 ohm version. I will be using a receiver to drive them. I've tried my pair of AKG 702's and Sen 650 on the same receiver with no issues so power is not an issue.

My issue is maintaining that solid bass at the lower to moderate volume. But still need to maintain an excellent soundstage for gaming?

So the 80 or the 250? Or are there better choices out there?

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmoothSound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for a closed heaphone with good bass to use for late night movies and gamming.

From what I have read it seems as though the BEYERDYNAMIC DT770's are what I am looing for ( bass heavy ).

Now... I assume the 80 ohm version will be easier to drive over the 250 ohm version. I will be using a receiver to drive them. I've tried my pair of AKG 702's and Sen 650 on the same receiver with no issues so power is not an issue.

My issue is maintaining that solid bass at the lower to moderate volume. But still need to maintain an excellent soundstage for gaming?

So the 80 or the 250? Or are there better choices out there?

Yes. The DT150 would be a better choice.
It has great bass, and an exellent soundstage to boot.
And they sound a lot better than the DT770 pro 80 ohm I once had.
They are 250 ohm. When your amp can drive the HD650, then the DT150 should be no problem at all.

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And they sound a lot better than the DT770 pro 80 ohm I once had.

Other than soundstage, could you elaborate on that statement? How is the voicing? Is it warmer or brighter than the DT 770 Pro? I'm pretty sure the DT 770 Pro is a keeper for me, but I'd like to hear more on the DT150 if you'd oblige.

Thanks.

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by elephino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than soundstage, could you elaborate on that statement? How is the voicing? Is it warmer or brighter than the DT 770 Pro? I'm pretty sure the DT 770 Pro is a keeper for me, but I'd like to hear more on the DT150 if you'd oblige.

Thanks.

The mids of the DT150 are more clear. Voices sounds very good. No recessed mids.
It's difficult to say if DT150 is warmer or brighter than DT770 pro 80 ohm, because the sound is different. The bass of the DT150 is integrated in the overall sound, with excellent definition. DT770 pro bass has sometimes a life of their own. To my ears, the DT150 is more balanced
And I think the DT150 reveals more detail. It has better treble too, with less sibilance.
To sum it up: powerfully warm sounding, with good clearity.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks so much. Nice description. Maybe a Deus Brut vs. Chimay? I listen to a lot of rock and shoe-gaze, but I also listen to ars antiqua/nova and classical. It looks like I can get my hands on the DT150s for a trial so I think I'll check them out and make a decision- I don't think I'm ready for two sets of cans yets. Really appreciate your time.

Love your avatar, BTW.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by partysnatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT-150s sound to be down my alley, I really hate it when the bass "detaches" itself from the rest of the sound. But 250 Ohm means I will definitely need to buy an amp as well?

They sound best when amped. But that doens't have to cost you a lot of money.
Get yourself an old, used integrated amplifier with a headphone socket. It will work fine with the DT150.
Or a not too expensive headphone amp.
Unamped they will sound muddy.

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound best when amped. But that doens't have to cost you a lot of money.
Get yourself an old, used integrated amplifier with a headphone socket. It will work fine with the DT150.
Or a not too expensive headphone amp.
Unamped they will sound muddy.

Thanks for the advice, I looked a bit and I am considering buying the Zero DAC + headphone amp now, I figured it would be a nice start, hear how that sounds with my existing setup, then I can look into buying the DT150 after that.

With the warm sound / comfy bass you describe, they are the most interesting sounding phones I've read about so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 13
Thanks again for the tip Tiemen, I suddenly remembered that I had an M-Audio 2496 card lying around with a good DAC, and a Marantz amp which I haven't used for anything the last years.
biggrin.gif

Now I'm hooked up with an amp + DAC, and all I need is some new phones, DT150 on the top of my list for now..

Even amped + with a decent DAC, I still think my AKG K-300s have too small of a soundstage and a lacking mid though.. I'm having way more fun on my Portapros. I hope the DT150s have some of that fun and smooth feeling of coherence between mid and low.

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 13
The DT 150 are Uber...pick up small nuances..i.e. footsteps...FPS games...analytical as hell but wonderfully musical.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 13
Between the 80 and the 250 ohm, I like the sound of the latter better. The 150 can be fantastic, but it really needs an amp to shine. Sometimes they can sound overly dark to me.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Between the 80 and the 250 ohm, I like the sound of the latter better. The 150 can be fantastic, but it really needs an amp to shine. Sometimes they can sound overly dark to me.

With the 250 ohm, you mean the DT770 Pro 250 ohm, or the 2005 consumer edition (also 250 ohm)?
There are three Pro edition........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back