Beyerdynamic DT770/32 vs Custom One Pro
Oct 24, 2015 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

striner

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

As mentioned in another thread by me, I've been to a physical store today to try out some headphones. I must say I was quite unimpressed by the Audio Technica ATH-M50x (I guess I expected a bit too much after all the praise everywhere), but I did fall a little bit in love with the Beyerdynamic DT770/32 (played from my phone, so 32 ohm was a must).
I also saw the Custom One Pro, but I could not try that one out, as there was only one left in its box. The idea of customizable bass and decals appeals to me, but I don't want to exchange too much of sound quality just for that.
Can anyone tell me their experiences with the difference between these 2?

According to the frequency response graph, the COP is (a lot?) worse at producing high tones. How does this affect the overall listening experience? 
Also note my phone was at max volume, and the sound on the 770's was just loud enough. 16 ohms on the COP would mean they can go at least twice as loud?
Will the bass on the COP drown out other notes?

Thanks!

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 2
If you compare graphs of M50X, M50, DT770, Custom One Pro, you'll notice the original M50 and DT770 are much brighter -more true sound monitors. The M50x were more consumerized-I don't think they lost anything they just became more user friendly for people that didn't like bright highs. Likewise Custom One Pro's are more marketed towards consumers rather than professional studio use.

Once you get use to that studio sound though you really miss those highs so I can see why you prefer the DT770's. (also I'd still recommend the DT770's if you like that sound signature over the original M50's because the soundstage on the original M50's is horrendous)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back