Beyerdynamic dt770 (32 ohm) vs Shure SRH840
Dec 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BigZam

New Head-Fier
Im about to pull the trigger on a pair of headphones. I will be using these plugged into my computer directly and will not be purchasing an amp. I listen to rock / electric / acoustic type of music. I play counterstrike competitively (I want a good soundstage, doesnt have to be amazing soundstage though). Right now the Beyers are $190 and the SRH 840 are $200, so there is not much of a difference in price. Im not crazy about bass, having bass that is present is nice. 

I will be wearing these for hours at a time.

What headphones do you recommend using without an amp?

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 6
I have owned the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 ohm and the Shure SRH840. I would get the SRH840 out of the two you mentioned. It has a more balanced sound. Both don't have much sound stage to speak of since they are both closed headphones. Both have plenty of bass to me, but I'm not a basshead. Both will be fine without an amp. Both are very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The SRH has better midrange, the DT has recessed mids which I don't like. IMO the SRH840 is the better headphone especially for the price.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 6
  Im about to pull the trigger on a pair of headphones. I will be using these plugged into my computer directly and will not be purchasing an amp. I listen to rock / electric / acoustic type of music. I play counterstrike competitively (I want a good sound stage, doesnt have to be amazing sound stage though). Right now the Beyers are $190 and the SRH 840 are $200, so there is not much of a difference in price. I'm not crazy about bass, having bass that is present is nice. 

I will be wearing these for hours at a time.

What headphones do you recommend using without an amp?

Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.
Comes with a basic headphone amplifier and Dolby Headphone surround sound.
The DG's CS4245 DAC chip might even improve audio quality, over the motherboard's DAC.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 6
I just picked up a set of 770s, part of their intended use was gaming (Arma mostly with some other light stuff inbetween), but they've had to go back. Build quality was spectacular, comfort was perfect, but the sound wise they just weren't what I was after. They do have a great solid, robust sound, but the soudstage is tiny. It felt like looking at the world down a narrow pipe.

They'd be perfect for a spot of recording, but didn't work, especially for gaming, for me.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 6
I play arma and use a headset for it..often there is so much noise it becomes impossible to pick out where some things are happening. I own the AKG K240 mkii set for semi-open use for all sorts of music. Great sound at a very good price too. I am thinking of getting some 840s of my own for gaming use since I figure I should grab a pair of closed quality phones eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back