Beyerdynamic DT770 32, 250 or 600 Ohm?
Jul 14, 2007 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ech0

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been searching through the forum(s) here trying to decide on a new set of closed headphones. At the present I have a pair of Senn HD280's. These are my second set of headphones and I want to try a different pair. I will use the headphones for movies / hdtv recordings and music (rock mostly).

I'm considering the Beyer DT770 (2005 version). The source will for the most part be a dvd player and also a pc (mythtv setup). At the present I'm using a SOHA amplifier and will be building a Millet Max Hybrid soon. I was all set to go for the Denon AH-D2000, but, I read the isolation was not all that great. That's when I moved on to the Beyer DT770.

Considering my source and amp(s) which DT770 should I go with 32, 250 or 600 ohm? I have no idea if the SOHA or Millet Max would be sufficient to drive the higher ohm headphones.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ech0

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 12
You will probably be better off with either the 250 or 600 ohm headphones. Low impedance headphones will demand more current from your amp which is more difficult to design for in the SOHA or millet max cases. In this respect, you should avoid the 32 ohm as long as you don't plan on listening to them sans-amp.

As for the difference in sound between the 250 and the 600, I am not sure.

Jul 14, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will probably be better off with either the 250 or 600 ohm headphones. Low impedance headphones will demand more current from your amp which is more difficult to design for in the SOHA or millet max cases. In this respect, you should avoid the 32 ohm as long as you don't plan on listening to them sans-amp.

The standard SOHA has a relatively weak opamp output, but the Millett Max has a relatively beefy bipolar diamond buffer output using to-220 size transistors that could drive small efficient speakers if the output dc-blocking capacitors were increased in size sufficiently, plus some power supply upgrades. More rail capacitance, 3-amp transformer, lm338 regulator.

Standard Millett Max or RevMH millett with or without a dDB board has no problem driving 32-ohm headphones. Has enough power to drive 16 and 8 ohm headphones as well, but the standard 470uf output caps might attenuate the bass due to the high-pass-filter effect.

With most opamps, the 80-ohm dt770 would be the minimum impedance 770 you would really want to run off the SOHA. digi01's boards could be configured with to220 regulators and you could put two opa551's on a browndog adapter and get plenty of juice out of the SOHA as well.

Running unamped, the 600ohm dt770 may be too quiet to really enjoy when plugged into something with less gain than a studio mixing board or a home stereo system. The 600ohm dt990 sure is. DAPs, PCDPs, and computer sound cards need not apply.

In the pre-2005 version, the sound quality of the 80ohm was generally preferred over the 250ohm version.

Dunno if it's the same for the 2005 version, or if you can even order the 80-ohm drivers with 'manufacture' headphones.

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 12
have no idea how much current capability the Millet max have, but for any amp with <500mA output, I'd alway go for the high ohm phones. I am currently driving my Beyer 990/600 with 2x BUF634 per-channel. I know the 600 ohm phones only need 10mA to generate 60mW, and 2x Buf634 can pump out 500mA, in theory..... The key word here is "effortlessness"
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 12
Well based on everyones responses, I'm leaning towards the 250 or 600 ohm. This is assuming that I interpreted the comments properly. I'm new to amp building so some of the comments were a bit over my head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj
In the pre-2005 version, the sound quality of the 80ohm was generally preferred over the 250ohm version.

Dunno if it's the same for the 2005 version, or if you can even order the 80-ohm drivers with 'manufacture' headphones.

I've read the pre 2005 version is preferred too. However, I don't care for the looks of the dt770pro. I prefer the 2005 version in regards to appearance. For the 2005 version the only options in regards to ohms are the ones I stated in the original post. I haven't found a lot of posts on the sonic differences on the 2005 versions. The posts "usually" end up comparing 2005 version to DT770 Pro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats
have no idea how much current capability the Millet max have, but for any amp with <500mA output, I'd alway go for the high ohm phones. I am currently driving my Beyer 990/600 with 2x BUF634 per-channel. I know the 600 ohm phones only need 10mA to generate 60mW, and 2x Buf634 can pump out 500mA, in theory..... The key word here is "effortlessness"

I need to go investigate what the output capabilities of the Millet Max and SOHA are. If I knew for sure the amp would be sufficient for the 600 ohm headphones that would be the way I would go (at the moment). However, that concern is making me lean towards the 250 ohm.

I will only be using the headphones in one place and with one of the two amps mentioned above, fwiw.

Are there any owners of the 2005 version that would care to comment on what they chose and why? Or better yet, someone that has listend to both the 250 and 600 ohm versions.

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 12
Yah, none of those. 80ohm. (pre 05)

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 12
From what I've been able to find it seems as if the SOHA would be the better choice for the 600 ohm version. The only thing I would need to change is to jumper where I have a 150 ohm output resister now. And I have this particular resistor set up with a test socket so no problems there. I'm referencing a stock SOHA and a stock Millet Max here. The SOHA's highest gain is higher than that of the M.Max. The Millet Max may be able to handle it with a 12ae6 tube, although, I'm not sure??

With that said I may go with the 250 ohm version because I'm just now getting ready to build the Millet Max (as soon as I get my PCB's) and I want to be able to use the headphones with both amps.

Anyone care to comment? Have I got this sorted out halfway decent?

Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm
Larry at Headphile thinks the 80ohm version sounds best... JFYI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX
Yah, none of those. 80ohm. (pre 05)

Thanks for the comments guys...But, I think the newer ones, 05 versions, just look better.

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 12
It's better for you to go for the 250omn one if u got a gd amp..As 32 is for portable and the bass is not better than the 250 at all. The 600 is nothing to dual with this as it's much hard work to push up to the limit.
etysmile.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ech0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the comments guys...But, I think the newer ones, 05 versions, just look better.

They certainly don't sound better. getting them cuzt they look better?? LOL
blink.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 12
I just ordered the dt770's (250 ohm version) through Beyerdynamic's Manufacture site. Now the wait begins. From various posts here at HeadFi it seems like I'll have a 3 to 4 week wait.

Thanks to all for your help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back