Beyerdynamic DT770-05 still kicks arse!
Oct 5, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #46 of 63
Crossfeed helps toning down brightness but very little. Probably only around 1 to 2db of a difference on my past meier headfive. I hear the 2moves crossfeed has an even more subtle effect on the sonics.

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #47 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crossfeed helps toning down brightness but very little. Probably only around 1 to 2db of a difference on my past meier headfive. I hear the 2moves crossfeed has an even more subtle effect on the sonics.

I don't notice a huge difference in the highs when I am using crossfeed, so I expect you are right..

I am considering getting them re-cabled as this may help settle the highs and give them a little more bass. Have any of you done this?

-Robert

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #48 of 63
Why you don't use/try a less porous foam (of the same diameter as stock, obviously), they perhaps can help to tame the highs and reduce the sibilance a lot, and give to the headphones more mids presence; and you don't have to pay a lot for those expensive recables. This mod is free and possibly can work with your headphones. You can also try to use an additional (to the stock porous foam) thin (very fine) cloth under the stock foam, this could help too....
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjgarcia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't notice a huge difference in the highs when I am using crossfeed, so I expect you are right..

I am considering getting them re-cabled as this may help settle the highs and give them a little more bass. Have any of you done this?

-Robert

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #49 of 63
Well, I ordered a DT-990 today so we will see if that gets me closer to where I want to be.
biggrin.gif

The only thing I am looking for is more bass, the treble seems to have settled down after more time, or I'm getting used to it..
wink.gif

-Robert

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #51 of 63
Quote:

darth beyer your 770s
biggrin.gif

Can't. He has a 2005 consumer edition. Darth Beyers are modded DT770/80 Pro's.

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #52 of 63
Ive read somewhere that the 05 editions make great darths. forgot who was saying that hes having his second one made and he loves the 770 05 darths the best among his other darths
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #53 of 63
Quote:

Ive read somewhere that the 05 editions make great darths. forgot who was saying that hes having his second one made and he loves the 770 05 darths the best among his other darths
biggrin.gif

They are called "Luke Skybeyers".
There are some around.

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #55 of 63
Has anybody owned the 2005 880 and the 2005 770 at the same time? If I could have a closed version of the 880s with more bass punch I would be sold. Can anyone do a short comparo? I have already searched and everything I have read talks about the lack of bass in the new 770s. I am thinking they will just sound like an inferior 880.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #56 of 63
I believe Headroom has graphs for the both of them. Maybe that can help you a bit. Look-up the graphs for the 880s and then in the dropdown menu select "beyerdynamic dt770 -2006" However, they could be different 770s than the 2005, does anyone know for sure? I've read elsewhere that they keep the graphs up even for models they've stopped selling.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but looking at the graphs you'll see that the dt770s frequency curve dips below the dt880s at around 150-425hz then stays very slightly below as you go higher in frequency, then at 3.5khz dips again, etc.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #57 of 63
Those graphs about the DT770 '06 seems to be of the old DT770pro/80 version. That prominence in the lower bass is identical to that of my ex DT770s (+10db in the lower bass too (below 60hz)). And it is supposed that the Frecuency response is more balanced in the new DT770s....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocksteady /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe Headroom has graphs for the both of them. Maybe that can help you a bit. Look-up the graphs for the 880s and then in the dropdown menu select "beyerdynamic dt770 -2006" However, they could be different 770s than the 2005, does anyone know for sure? I've read elsewhere that they keep the graphs up even for models they've stopped selling.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but looking at the graphs you'll see that the dt770s frequency curve dips below the dt880s at around 150-425hz then stays very slightly below as you go higher in frequency, then at 3.5khz dips again, etc.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #58 of 63
I currently own both the DT880 and DT770 in 600 Ohm variants from the Manufaktur. I personally prefer the DT770 slightly. The DT880 is too "pillowy" in sound, instruments are a bit too undefined in soundstage, mids too recessed which creates that pillow sound. The 770 got that needed presence in comparison to the 880. The 770 also has boosted treble but it only got annoying on 2-3 tracks out of hundreds til now so thats ok.

Oh yeah and the 880 sounds grainy from my mp3 player
wink.gif
Its buttersmooth through my dac 1 & phonitor. No other headphone i currently own shows this kind of difference.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own both the DT880 and DT770 in 600 Ohm variants from the Manufaktur. I personally prefer the DT770 slightly. The DT880 is too "pillowy" in sound, instruments are a bit too undefined in soundstage, mids too recessed which creates that pillow sound. The 770 got that needed presence in comparison to the 880. The 770 also has boosted treble but it only got annoying on 2-3 tracks out of hundreds til now so thats ok.

Oh yeah and the 880 sounds grainy from my mp3 player
wink.gif
Its buttersmooth through my dac 1 & phonitor. No other headphone i currently own shows this kind of difference.

That sounds encouraging, guess legacy of bass monster Pro version prevents many from trying them and drives popularity down. We'll see in a week.
beyersmile.png

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocksteady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but thats because they don't use the TK421
beerchug.gif

Sorry, just couldn't resist. One of my favorite movies of all time Buck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back