Beyerdynamic dt531 Ramblings: WOW!
Jun 6, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #17 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I think that source/amp plays a biiiiiig role here, because while the dt531s do groove with the bithead, they really open up with the Nad/Perreaux setup. The difference can almost be night and day.

..yes imo it's due mostly to the fact dt531 are ultrasensible cans and also "quite receptive"
they sound very different from setup to setup ( even more then cd3000 for my little exp. )
I'll try in the next future also some cable swap for them
now you got me wanting to ear perreaux with my cans
frown.gif

we could start thinking a central europe head-fi meeting for this summer ..
[size=xx-small]i'd love you to give a listen to the earmax pro amp [/size]

Jun 6, 2004 at 10:54 AM Post #18 of 75
DT-860 seems to use same headband as hd280, and ultrasones.. Now as my ultrasones are waiting for headband mod to raise them from death.. I wouldnt buy those, if I wasnt ready to replace the band. And they probaly have few of the ultrasones minor problems as well, looking the cupsize... I would rather get 531.

Jun 6, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
..yes imo it's due mostly to the fact dt531 are ultrasensible cans and also "quite receptive"
they sound very different from setup to setup ( even more then cd3000 for my little exp. )
I'll try in the next future also some cable swap for them
now you got me wanting to ear perreaux with my cans
frown.gif

we could start thinking a central europe head-fi meeting for this summer ..
[size=xx-small]i'd love you to give a listen to the earmax pro amp [/size]

We're having a meet in Finland sometime in August.
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #20 of 75
Quote:

they really open up with the Nad/Perreaux setup. The difference can almost be night and day.

Definitely. I've got a second pair and they produce a really big bold sound with the Perreaux, seem to have subjectively more detail than the CD3000 and definitely have more bass.

I almost believe they have some kind of harmonic distortion in them to make them sound "nicer". Either way I really dig the sound I get from these cans. Love em!
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #21 of 75
Quote:

I almost believe they have some kind of harmonic distortion in them to make them sound "nicer".

true
anyone of you want to sell for 20$ his perreaux ?
tongue.gif

you're getting me sad for having not listened to perreaux + dt531

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #23 of 75
Quote:

But with the Perreaux, I haven't listened to all my cd's yet, but certain recordings that I feel weren't so well mixed, like Gladiator and the LOTR soundtracks, are being done proud by the dt531s. They're injecting the Luuuv back in.

I just want to clear up the fact that the LOTR ST is not mixed in a studio .
It was recorded live in a hall to give it that open airy feeling.
Plus CD is not the best format to handle the sound of the LOTR series.
it requires DVD-audio or SACD.

Jun 6, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #24 of 75
Yes, I've played in many a gymnasium, and that's exactly what it sounds like. Turns out the mystery is no mystery at all. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

edit - Well I do hope it wasn't really in a gym. But when you do lots of performing in concert halls, you get introduced to the wonderful world of crappy acoustics. Not that I have the kind of experience that the musicians on this cd do, not by long way, but from my experience it's one of the things on the list to complain about with your friends while taking a break from performing.

Jun 6, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #27 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by electic
Where can I get these and how much are they?

I think with a bit of stressing google , you can get one pair from one online shop
search " dt 531 "

for price reference : (imo) they're well worth 200+$ (I'm not joking) for what they offer ( most versatile cans i've tried up to now )

let me know if you find them

Jun 6, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #28 of 75
If you live in Europe they turn up pretty frequently at ebay Germany (new stock and usually as Buy It Now options, usual price is around 90€ + shipping).

Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
(imo) they're well worth 200+$ (I'm not joking) for what they offer ( most versatile cans i've tried up to now )

Although I agree with boodi that the 531 are extremely versatile I have to disagree that they can compare with 200$ headphones.
I listened to them side by side with the Senn hd 600, sony 3k, beyer 880, etc. and the 531 were definatley inferior to all of them.

To be honest I had high expectations from the 531 but they were not as groovy as I though they'd be and they sounded extremely simliar to the beyer 880 (in my ears), just lacked a couple of things in areas such as soundstage, details, refinement, comfort (yes, I find the Beyer 880 more comfortable),highs, mids, bass (not more bass but with more texture), .... - the 880 were simply better. And I'm not saying this because I own the 880. I would have loved to sell my Beyer 880 and get some 531 instead and save some money and have less problems with amplification ( this is where the 531 win because the 880 are pretty demanding when it comes to source and amp). On a lesser source and lesser amp than the Prehead and the Rega 2000, which I used for the evaluation, the 531 might have come even closer to the 880.

Don't get me wrong, the 531 are great headphones, especially for the price, but they cannot compare with headphones that are in a higher league.

Going back to the original quote: if you think of the extra money you would have to spend on amp and source, then the 531 are maybe worth 200$ if you consider the money you'd have to spend to get an equally good sound out of the Beyer 880. Note that this is only hypothetical because I haven't done a side-to-side evaluation with the 880 and the 531 on a lesser source and amp. I assume that the 880 would still win, though by a smaller margin. The 880 sounded pretty damn good out of a Corda HA-1 MKII.

Taking into consideration that the 880 can be had for around 160-230$ (used, mint, new) I'd still get the 880 for home use anytime.

(consider this a 531-hype prevention post
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 6, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #29 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Although I agree with boodi that the 531 are extremely versatile I have to disagree that they can compare with 200$ headphones.
I listened to them side by side with the Senn hd 600, sony 3k, beyer 880, etc. and the 531 were definatley inferior to all of them.

Disagree here. I've owned the HD580, CD3000 and DT880, and the DT531 can happily trade blows with any of them.

If they were so inferior, then why have I sold them and gone back to the 531's? Simple, because they are NOT inferior at all. Sure, the 531's are not superior in any particular regard, but neither are the the others.

The 580 is probably more neutral and maybe a touch more realistic, but cannot even come close to the fun, bouncy aspect of the 531. They sound distinctly unimpressive compared to the 531 IMO.

The CD3000 is probably even more exciting sounding than the 531, also a bit more refined. However, it cannot match the bass performance of the 531, it sounds extremely unforgiving, and is not as groovy as the 531.

As usual, the low price tag of the cans means nobody will take them seriously.

Quote:

To be honest I had high expectations from the 531 but they were not as groovy as I though they'd be and they sounded extremely simliar to the beyer 880 (in my ears), just lacked a couple of things in areas such as soundstage, details, refinement, comfort (yes, I find the Beyer 880 more comfortable),highs, mids, bass (not more bass but with more texture), .... - the 880 were simply better. And I'm not saying this because I own the 880. I would have loved to sell my Beyer 880 and get some 531 instead and save some money and have less problems with amplification ( this is where the 531 win because the 880 are pretty demanding when it comes to source and amp). On a lesser source and lesser amp than the Prehead and the Rega 2000, which I used for the evaluation, the 531 might have come even closer to the 880.

I've had the 880 as well. Far too boring and hifi orientated. Yes, they have a bigger soundstage, and smoother sound than the 531, but they cant rock out like the 531, the bass is nowhere near as punchy (I felt the 880 to be extremely thin out of every amp I've tried it with).

I am amazed you think they sound anything alike to be honest, because they definitely dont!!!
confused.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #30 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Disagree here. I've owned the HD580, CD3000 and DT880, and the DT531 can happily trade blows with any of them.

If they were so inferior, then why have I sold them and gone back to the 531's? Simple, because they are NOT inferior at all. Sure, the 531's are not superior in any particular regard, but neither are the the others.

The 580 is probably more neutral and maybe a touch more realistic, but cannot even come close to the fun, bouncy aspect of the 531. They sound distinctly unimpressive compared to the 531 IMO.

The CD3000 is probably even more exciting sounding than the 531, also a bit more refined. However, it cannot match the bass performance of the 531, it sounds extremely unforgiving, and is not as groovy as the 531.

As usual, the low price tag of the cans means nobody will take them seriously.

I've had the 880 as well. Far too boring and hifi orientated. Yes, they have a bigger soundstage, and smoother sound than the 531, but they cant rock out like the 531, the bass is nowhere near as punchy (I felt the 880 to be extremely thin out of every amp I've tried it with).

I am amazed you think they sound anything alike to be honest, because they definitely dont!!!
confused.gif

Hi Paul, I think it's a good thing that there are different opinions on a pair of headphones. I guess we just have different ears and it might also be due to the fact that I primarily used classical and jazz music for the comparison and not a lot of electronical music.
I admit that it is misleading to say that some headphones are superior to others, it's more like superior in my ears. Well, I just wanted to put in some con-531 opinions because that is how I felt about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back