Beyerdynamic DT440
Nov 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #31 of 42
Tiny question, would DT440 with FIIO E5 from ipod nano will work outdoors?
thanks!

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #32 of 42
I have a question to people that have heard these....

Is the older silver model different sounding compared to the new black ones? Which one sounds better?

beyerdynamic-DT440.jpg

DT440.jpg

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD Hi eyeameye,

Since you had k271s and hd25 in the past, how do dt440 compare to these? It's not fair comparison cuz these are closed, but to sum it up??? It seems that dt440 are keeper. How'bout other two? I'm in a dire need of closed phones soon. I have been looking at dt660...Thanks.

Between the two you've asked about, forget the K271S and get the HD25-1, it's better at everything, and much easier to drive from any source.

As far as a comparison to the DT440, you're right, it's not fair. The honkiness that is somewhat of a trademark of closed phones is there on the HD25-1, but not too bad. Still, the open DT440 sounds so much better and more natural for guitars. The HD25-1 has more high end detail, to the point of being harsh at times. I haven't stumbled across any recording that sounded harsh on the DT440, it may lose some of the finest details, but that's a compromise willingly taken. It's been a while since I've owned the HD25-1, so the bass comparison is tough. They may have been equal, however, the overall thicker, warmer presentation of the DT440 IMO puts a heavier emphasis on the bass than the brighter, thinner presentation of the HD25-1. Both are very forward sounding cans, and the HD25-1 has a narrower soundstage. Comfort is better with the DT440, the HD25 is a head-clamp until you break it in, and even then exerts some pressure.

That comparison may seem like I'm bashing the HD25-1. It wasn't my intention at all, I actually liked it very much, and you probably won't find too many closed cans that sound better, period.

From your totally dismissive comments on the K271S, you seem to dislike detail and refinement. We all hear differently, but you haven't even mentioned why the poster shouldn't even consider buying the K271S. I think they are a closed back, less refined version of the K702, but with better bass!

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #36 of 42
Yes I've got 990v silver pads on my latest pair and greatly improves comfort without notably changing the sound. Previously found the black 990vb was better and the silver ones robbed the 440 of some highs and air. Not the case this time I don't know whether Beyer changes the material of these pads over time ?
  ALL WOES diminished with 990v on these

wink_face.gif

PS I returned my pair of 990 Premiums in the  end. Came to the conclusion they offer nothing other than fancier looks over the DT440.  The 'lesser' Beyers are such wonderfully open and natural sounding headphones. And yes they are in a higher class to the HD25 but quite different, Love them both which have been mainstays to me for several years.

Advise anyone to buy them while you still can.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #37 of 42
  Yes I've got 990v silver pads on my latest pair and greatly improves comfort without notably changing the sound. Previously found the black 990vb was better and the silver ones robbed the 440 of some highs and air. Not the case this time I don't know whether Beyer changes the material of these pads over time ?
PS I returned my pair of 990 Premiums in the  end. Came to the conclusion they offer nothing other than fancier looks over the DT440.  The 'lesser' Beyers are such wonderfully open and natural sounding headphones. And yes they are in a higher class to the HD25 but quite different, Love them both which have been mainstays to me for several years.

Advise anyone to buy them while you still can.

I'm not sure if you're speaking of the 440 with black centre

or the previous model.

I got the last version (black centre)

Anyway, the pads are not 990vb. The ones i have are some sort of cottony pad. Feels like some fabric. Similar to that of Philips 9500. The 990v is more comfy/better feeling, but the sound is slightly different. I prefer the original sound but just slightly.

To me there is a big difference in sound b/w 990.250P and 440.32. I use one for easy listening to edm/hiphop/hardrock and some metal. Dt440 for alternative rock, psychedelic rock. The 990 is emotionless (though more lively than 880) though both more detailed. 440 is very engaging and lively (again as i've mentioned before, like a polished up ksc75). It could be my amps (i use x1+ocean for 880.32E/990.250P) and just xtrempro X1 for 440.32. Though i have used both on same setup and notice they have different sounds. 440 is more of a sizzling (yet pleasant) and 990/880(even moreso) cleaner but less lively. This all relative to the 3 compared.

Interested in seeing others opinions but this thread is ofc not very lively :p

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #38 of 42
I'm not sure if you're speaking of the 440 with black centre

or the previous model.

I got the last version (black centre)

Anyway, the pads are not 990vb. The ones i have are some sort of cottony pad. Feels like some fabric. Similar to that of Philips 9500. The 990v is more comfy/better feeling, but the sound is slightly different. I prefer the original sound but just slightly.

To me there is a big difference in sound b/w 990.250P and 440.32. I use one for easy listening to edm/hiphop/hardrock and some metal. Dt440 for alternative rock, psychedelic rock. The 990 is emotionless (though more lively than 880) though both more detailed. 440 is very engaging and lively (again as i've mentioned before, like a polished up ksc75). It could be my amps (i use x1+ocean for 880.32E/990.250P) and just xtrempro X1 for 440.32. Though i have used both on same setup and notice they have different sounds. 440 is more of a sizzling (yet pleasant) and 990/880(even moreso) cleaner but less lively. This all relative to the 3 compared.

Interested in seeing others opinions but this thread is ofc not very lively :p

I've actually had both versions!

Both came with slightly itchy 'Jersey Cloth' the originals had very nice metal grills but the headband was brittle. Mine developed various cracks. It's a shame Beyer couldn't retain the original grills with the newer more robust black headband

The black velour pads I'm referring to are the quite hard to find EBT990vb designed as an alternative for DT880/ 990. They are an option when you order the custom Manufaktur models from Beyer

Despite that they made the DT990pro I had at the time sound horribly bright but suited the 440. They are the reason the DT990 special edition which comes with the black pads as standed should be given a wide berth unless you want the straight cable and intend changing the pads to silver. IMO

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #39 of 42
By the way I find the DT440 versatile, not genre specific. At least with everything I listen to ( including jazz and classical as well as classic/ progressive rock and a little ambient/ older electronic music) sounds very good.
A headphone you can just select 'shuffle all song' and just enjoy everything thrown at them. I don't listen to any modern pop/ r&bA/ rap etc though so cant comment on those
gs1000.gif

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #40 of 42
  By the way I find the DT440 versatile, not genre specific. At least with everything I listen to ( including jazz and classical as well as classic/ progressive rock and a little ambient/ older electronic music) sounds very good.
A headphone you can just select 'shuffle all song' and just enjoy everything thrown at them. I don't listen to any modern pop/ r&bA/ rap etc though so cant comment on those
gs1000.gif

I can listen to almost anything even on my $15 Ksc75 but certain genres I require a little more spice in one area or a little tamed spice in another. Though I think one can listen to almost anything on 440 with preset eq settings, i find the flatter 660.32 better for classical/jazz (ethiopian jazz mostly). EDM I go to xb1k (for its soundstage and bass), and 770.80/sz1k for hip hop. EDM doesn't sound right to me on open cans, same with hip hop. Basshead cans required. At moderate volume i can listen to any genre, but at high volumes, some cans become genre specific. To me anyway.

I do recall the old headband complaints. I guess maybe they changed the composition of the plastic or something. Last batch of 440/660 seem pretty sturdy to me
happy_face1.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #41 of 42
I can listen to almost anything even on my $15 Ksc75 but certain genres I require a little more spice in one area or a little tamed spice in another. Though I think one can listen to almost anything on 440 with preset eq settings, i find the flatter 660.32 better for classical/jazz (ethiopian jazz mostly). EDM I go to xb1k (for its soundstage and bass), and 770.80/sz1k for hip hop. EDM doesn't sound right to me on open cans, same with hip hop. Basshead cans required. At moderate volume i can listen to any genre, but at high volumes, some cans become genre specific. To me anyway.

I do recall the old headband complaints. I guess maybe they changed the composition of the plastic or something. Last batch of 440/660 seem pretty sturdy to me:happy_face1:

Well everyones different. KSC75 can't be mentioned in the same breath as the Beyer. Don't rate them at all and couldn't really listen to ANYTHING on those. PortaPro far far nicer.

The 440 is as good as anything I've heard (maybe not saying a Lot!!)for classical. It just gives such a great illusion of listening to speakers that no other headphone in my experience manages.More so even than the Sony PFR V1 'personal field speaker' Just so airy and detailed. Extension to the highs with sparkling treble and a decent bass is required for satisfying listening to classical not flatness. Spine tingling and just as good with jazz Just me I suppose :grinning:

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #42 of 42
Well everyones different. KSC75 can't be mentioned in the same breath as the Beyer. Don't rate them at all and couldn't really listen to ANYTHING on those. PortaPro far far nicer.

The 440 is as good as anything I've heard (maybe not saying a Lot!!)for classical. It just gives such a great illusion of listening to speakers that no other headphone in my experience manages.More so even than the Sony PFR V1 'personal field speaker' Just so airy and detailed. Extension to the highs with sparkling treble and a decent bass is required for satisfying listening to classical not flatness. Spine tingling and just as good with jazz Just me I suppose :grinning:

They are not at same level, just sound similar to my ears with 440.32 being a higher quality (aka smoother, more pleasant sizzle) vs the annoying sizzle. It has more distortion to my ears than 880 but has this pleasant full sound ( I say sizzle because its sparkle is somewhat grainy not to the point of annoying). Maybe to hardcore audiophile IDK. But if someone were to ask whether a 440 or 660 for classical, 660 is the easy choice. Its better than 880.250 to my ear. I prefer the flatness for certain classical (like Indian or African, or South AMerican Classical). I listen to "Classical" sometimes, not that much, but i don't think the elevated bass is required. Thats just IMO. Everyone is different. But don't get me wrong the 440 is great all rounder. I underestimated it heavily , but it showed me.
devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back