Beyerdynamic dt250 or Fostex t40rp / t50rp mk3 ???
Jun 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

keppes

New Head-Fier

Hey there,

i am really into headphones since a few months and new on head-fi.org. I own the Superlux HD681 Evo and the Fidelio X2 as open hp´s and the Beyerdynamic DTX 350p for sports.

Right now i´m looking for closed headphones (over ear or on ear, over ear would be better) for music (rock, pop, etc.) and gaming. The headphones should have a present and lively midrange and an emphasised bass region with good subbass. I don´t need a very big soundstage, because i have the X2´s, but the ss should be decent. Dynamics and impact are really important for me. I love fast, tight and accentuated bass. The bass quality is more important for me than the bass quantity. But i don´t want bass light headphones like the dt 880, the k701/702 or the msr-7´s for example.
I´ve heard many different headphones in the last few weeks. Here are my top five (soundwise):

1. Focal Spirit Classic
2. Beyerdynamic DT 250 (80 ohm)
3. Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ear
4. Dt 770 pro (250)
5. ATH-M40x

The problem with the Focals is that the pads are not replaceable. That is a no-go for me in this price range. But i really like the clarity and the dynamics of these headphones. The Focals and the momentums 2.0 are also a little bit too pricey for me.
I really do like the sound of th dt250s and i am going to hear the 250 ohm version of them also. The sound is awesome, but i hate the cable, the look and the plastic materials / build quality. The dt770 pros have a better build quality and are more comfortable, but the midrange is too recessed for me. The sennheisers are very comfy, but the upper midrange / treble region is too aggressive in my ears. I don´t know how long i could listen to them before my head aches. The M40x´s are also ok, but i am looking for something more spectacular.

I´ve listened to other headphones like the ath-m50x´s, the ath-msr7, sennheiser hd 558, hd 598, the beyer dt 1350 and the beyer t51p, but i do like the sound of the headphones in my top five list more.

So, if i had to decide me right now, i would go with the dt250´s (80 or 250 ohm version), because of the great sound signature and dynamics. But i am really curious about the Fostex t40rp mk 3 / t50rp mk3 headphones. Unfortunatly i have no store with fostex headphones nearby. So i have some questions left:

1. I know that the t50rp´s are semi open, but how strong is the leakage of sound / isolation? Can i use them in public?
2. Are the t40rp or the t50rp nearer to the sound signature of the dt250 (80 ohm)?
3. Which one out of these three headphones (dt250, t40rp mk3 and t50rp mk3) has the best overall sound? Could somebody give me a short comparison?
4. Do you have some other closed alternitives for me, which i should listen to?

My price range is about 150 - 200 euros. Sorry for the bad english, but i´m still learning :wink:

Greetings
Keppes

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 7
I've not listen to most of the headphones your listing.
But the Fostex T40RP is my guess for one of the better buys.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 7
I own a pair of Fostex T40mk3 I would say are the best out of that list. They will need an amp to push them. With my fiio e12 they have the best bass of any have bones I have heard. Purchase a set of the shure 1540 pads and they are very calm cruel. Although with the stock pads to me is not that uncomfortable but the shure pads help
They also have a good mid range and nice but not harsh trouble

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 7
Hey, thx for your post. Did you here the t50rp mk3s, too? If so, could you write a brief comparison? That would be awesome! How big is the soundstage on the t40s?

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi I have not heard the t50
The T40 have a really good sound stage four is closed headphones. It is not quite the soundstage of a open headphone but it is good for clothes
I would imagine The T50 have a little wider soundstage.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 7
I haven't heard the T40 but I have the T50. I'm planning on trying some mods on it. In stock form its really sharp in the treble. It hurts my ears after a few songs. Also, its pretty hard to drive. A phone isn't enough power for it.

Jul 19, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 7
I finally bought the T50rp mk3s. I like the sound of the the dt 250 more and they are also more fun, but the Fostex have better build quality, changeable cable and PLANAR drivers :). The sound of my sansa clip zip is really loud and decent from my samsung galaxy s5. I would like to buy new pads, which increase the (sub)bass and lower the treble a little bit. SS and mids are good enough for me. So which pads sjould i buy to raise the bass and achieve a little warmer sound signature? I have found this here: http://m.imgur.com/a/CeAjl Accoeding to this the hybrid pads would suits perfect, wouldn't they? I am also considerung Shure 840, Shure 1540 and Shure 1940 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back