Beyerdynamic DT177X 32 ohm headphone... cause for concern?
Oct 27, 2019 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Digeeedad

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Beyerdynamic DT177X headphone scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I've read quite a few comments where some owners are a bit disappointed in their lack of sub bass. I'm coming to the 177X from a Beyer DT770 pro 80 ohm, which seems to have a good sub bass response. Of the DT770 headphones, the 32 ohm version was said to have the weakest bass and overall impact. The DT1777X is a 32 ohm headphone. I came across the quote below and linked article regarding headphone ohm rating and wondered if anyone might care to comment?

" So, what has all this got to do with Beyerdynamic DT 880 headphones? Simply this: For any given headphone amplifier or source, you want to use the highest impedance DT 880 that will still allow you to reach your desired listening level on the source you are using. Higher impedance headphones will give you a higher damping factor for a given amplifier. Using a lower impedance headphone than necessary means that your damping factor will be lower, and the resulting sound will be less “tight.” " Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones-page-2#c1o7rKUQWtHAiPjp.99 *The video, included on the page, is really good and speaks to the 32 ohm deficiencies. So, certainly being no expert, or really understanding all of this well, based on the above, it seems it could be argued that by Massdrop going with a 32 ohm headphone for "portability" and easy driving, it has also resulted in the diminished low end/sub bass headphone??

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 5
What sources or DAC/amp are you plugging your headphones into?
While the DT177X (32-Ohm) may not have as much bass as the DT770 80-Ohm, I would guess the DT177X would offer a general overall improvement in audio quality.

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Might be best to wait until the DT177X arrives and you have had a chance to test them, plugged into everything.
Then post back about any issues you might still have with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back