Beyerdynamic DT150
Feb 26, 2009 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FatMom

New Head-Fier
Last month I bought these cans as a well as a new soundcard (claro halo) I downloaded the free NIN ablum the slip in both lossless uncompressed wave and 192kbps mp3, the problem is, shouldnt I head I difference between both?

Yes I am a newb to all this stuff, I bought this for gaming, took the claro halo for the amp and dolby headphone, and the dt150 because they are suposed to be a good bang for you buck set, but really, I cant even tell the difference even between the dt150 and my little porable akg headset
frown.gif

what i am missing here?

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 7
First of all, the little portable AKG is actually a pretty good set, if they're the 414's. Really a nice bang for the buck portable.

Second of all, the DT150's, FWIR, really need a powerful, dedicated headphone amp. I am not really familiar with the claro halo, but my guess is that is part of the equation. The thing that really makes the DT150's shine is powerful bass, and powerful bass needs a lot of power to do right.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, the little portable AKG is actually a pretty good set, if they're the 414's. Really a nice bang for the buck portable.

Second of all, the DT150's, FWIR, really need a powerful, dedicated headphone amp. I am not really familiar with the claro halo, but my guess is that is part of the equation. The thing that really makes the DT150's shine is powerful bass, and powerful bass needs a lot of power to do right.

they are the k26p.

HT omega also claim that the sound card can output up to 600ohm while the dt150 require 250 , heres the link http://www.htomega.com/clarohalo.html

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by FatMom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are the k26p.

HT omega also clain that the sound card can output up to 600ohm while the dt150 require 250

Yeah, those are pretty solid too, FWIR.

Hmm, I don't think its the amp then.

I'd guess its mostly that, in all honesty, the difference between solid intro level headphones (which is basically what the AKGs you have are) is very subtle. It takes a pretty trained ear to hear the difference. The difference between, say skullcandy and the DT150's is noticeable to just about anybody, but the AKG's you have and the DT150's? It's pretty subtle, in all honesty.

If you really can't tell a difference, sell them on the For Sale forum on here, and consider yourself lucky.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 7
Speaking from experience, you really need an amp with enough juice to do the DT150s justice. I only found out their true potential when I got a Graham Slee Solo amp, which is specifically designed to satisfy powerhungry beasts such as the HD6x0s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back