Beyerdynamic DT 990600 Ohm - treble is too harsh!
Oct 2, 2018 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

onmywayaudio

New Head-Fier
The cable on my DT 990 Pros (250 Ohm) broke and it is not an easy fix. They were very good, so I replaced them with these special Chrome Versions that were also 600 ohm, problem is, the treble and sibiliance (or whatever the term is for that harsh s-sounding words make) is annoying and even sound artificial at times.

I'm running them through a tube amp called Bravo Ocean.

What do you guys recommend I do? Spotify does not have an EQ so software is out of the question.

Should I get another tube?

Thanks!

Oct 2, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 12
Beyers always have bright treble,but if youre used to your previous version perhaps the new pair needs time to burn in? Not saying this will or will not help but burn in is real IMO.

Dunno what type of tubes your amp takes but if you can look into Mullards. Very nice warm sounding.

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 12
The cable on my DT 990 Pros (250 Ohm) broke and it is not an easy fix. They were very good, so I replaced them with these special Chrome Versions that were also 600 ohm, problem is, the treble and sibiliance (or whatever the term is for that harsh s-sounding words make) is annoying and even sound artificial at times.
What do you guys recommend I do? Spotify does not have an EQ so software is out of the question.
Should I get another tube?
Thanks!
Edit, never mind.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 12
What is this special "600-Ohm version Chrome version" cable?

It's just one of the color schemes of the 600ohm version of the headphones, I think.

If you're listening on PC, you can do system-level EQ using something like EqualizerAPO.

If the issue is with your amp, it might be that it doesn't have enough power at 600 ohms. I don't know if that's something a tube would fix.

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 12
It's just one of the color schemes of the 600ohm version of the headphones, I think.
If you're listening on PC, you can do system-level EQ using something like EqualizerAPO.
If the issue is with your amp, it might be that it doesn't have enough power at 600 ohms. I don't know if that's something a tube would fix.
Edit, never mind.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 12
They didn't change the cable, they bought a whole new pair of headphones.
Your right, I did not read the original post correctly.
The DT990 600-Ohm is a better sounding (better controlled) headphone then the DT990 250-Ohm (I own both).
Hopefully the OP has access to maybe a stereo amplifier or A/V receiver he could try plugging the headphones into.
If the headphones improve plugged into the receiver, then you know it's Bravo Ocean issue,
if they sound the same?
Maybe defective headphones?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 12
I'll try with my Onkyo receiver later.

Tried with Phone as source, through same amp and the treble is lower/less harsh but only by a bit.

They've been burnt in. The amp has waaaay more than enough power. Like 1/5th is more than enough for max volume. Bass is great of course.

I can also compare them with my Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10.
43035668_1219825748181819_4942026457267306496_o.jpg

Sibilance test:
That song @3:07 when she says "So" feels like a quick dagger stab in my ears because of how sharp and harsh it is. Anyone else?

Oct 2, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 12
I'll try with my Onkyo receiver later.
Tried with Phone as source, through same amp and the treble is lower/less harsh but only by a bit.
They've been burnt in. The amp has waaaay more than enough power. Like 1/5th is more than enough for max volume. Bass is great of course.
I can also compare them with my Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10.
Sibilance test:
That song @3:07 when she says "So" feels like a quick dagger stab in my ears because of how sharp and harsh it is. Anyone else?

Usually the DT770/DT880/DT990 do their best when used with a tube headphone amplifier
Guess they like all the voltage.

Just plugged my Dt990 600-Ohm into both my solid state and tube headphone amplifier.
I'm might(?) be hearing sibilance.

Oct 2, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 12
if it helps, here's the entry from the sound glossary:

"Essy", exaggerated "s" or "sh" sounds in vocals. Sibilant sounds carry most of their energy through the 4Khz to 8Khz range, but can extend to 10kHz, depending on the individual. Sibilance is often heard on radio.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back