Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Mar 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Piegoodman

New Head-Fier
So I was able to purchase the M50s for about ~$85 used on Amazon, and so far, they sound fantastic. However, after reading some reviews, many people recommend the Beyers as having better sound for a similar price. I found a used pair on Amazon for ~$135. Should I return the M50s and spend the extra $50 on the Beyers?

Thanks. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 7
The DT990s have a very different sound signature and require an amp to perform their best; they're also open-back. But only you can decide which one's better, really. It's very plausible that you get the Beyer's and find them disappointing.

I'd play it safe and just keep the M50s for now, especially if you like them. "Better" is a very subjective thing.

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 7
  The DT990s have a very different sound signature and require an amp to perform their best; they're also open-back. But only you can decide which one's better, really. It's very plausible that you get the Beyer's and find them disappointing.

I'd play it safe and just keep the M50s for now, especially if you like them. "Better" is a very subjective thing.

Are there any headphones I can buy for ~$85 that sound better than the M50s in terms of being better balanced?

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 7
The DT990s are definitely a better class of headphone than the M50s. They will have better clarity and a much better soundstage. But they are not neutral headphones if that's what you mean by "balanced."

Now if you want something very neutral for <$85, NVX XPT100 are the same cups and drivers--sound the same--as the Fischer Audio FA-003 and Brainwavz HM5 (same manufacturer makes all three), but only $80 right now (the others sell for $125 or more on average). See these threads

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585281/review-brainwavz-hm5-a-new-neutral-champ
http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 7

So basically the M50 is the best pair of headphones I can get for under $100?

Those headphones look kinda sketchy, not gonna lie. I've never heard of the company nor do they seem very comparable to the M50 in overall sound detail. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 7
Those headphones look kinda sketchy, not gonna lie. I've never heard of the company nor do they seem very comparable to the M50 in overall sound detail. 

You mean they seem sketchy because you know so much about headphones in comparison to all those people in those discussions I linked to for you? LOL

The NVXs and the M50s have a different sound signature. They are equivalent in class, but one may suit your personal tastes more than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back