Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium - Ohm identification
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BlueScorpion33

New Head-Fier
Hi, I bought a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium Edition HiFi Headphone from a ebay seller that sells Amazon Warehouse items and the headphone was stated as the 600 Ohm version (which why I bid extra for).

I have now received the DT 990 headphone and it a legit Amazon Warehouse item and the headphone it self is in almost brand new condition. However the problem is that the box doesn't make it clear if the headphone I received is the 600 Ohm version or the 250 Ohm version and I can't find any marking on the headphone itself to know the Ohm version of the headphone either.

So my question is do you guys know anyway of finding out which ohm version of DT 990 Premium I received?

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 10
I don't have a multimeter and I also didn't want to open up the headphone itself. Anyway I emailed Beyerdynamic directly and then said:
You should find the impedance at 3 places:
1. On the plug (mostly older models)
2. Below the barcode on the bottom of the packaging
3. On the packaging top side, where one of the three versions is checked.

The top of the box was hard to see but I also looked more closely on the bottom of the packaging and there was another Amazon barcode sticker and an Amazon Warehouse sticker that was partially blocking the original barcode section but I can see through the Amazon barcode sticker that it does say it was the 250 Ohm version.

The Beyerdynamic also asked if there was a serial number on the packaging and gave him the serial number and he looked up their database to confirm that it was indeed for the 250 Ohm version.

So I have now opened an ebay request for refund on this headphone as I bid high thinking it was the 600 Ohm version as stated on the ebay listing.

At least now U got the chance to check the sound of a DT 900 and it sound better to me than my DT 770 pro and my old ATH-M50, though I still like the sound signature of my RX900 compared to the DT 900 and my D2000 is still can't be beat. The DT 990 has excellent bass impact for an open backed headphone. I liked this 250 ohm DT 990 enough to plan on buying a new Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 600 Ohm version from an authorised dealer very soon.

Also I am really pleased with both the speed and helpfulness of Beyerdynamic's customer service.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 10
It should display the ohm rating on the plastic part of the 3.5mm plug. If its 250Ω, the plug will be blank. If it's 600Ω, the plug will have 600Ω written on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back