beyerdynamic DT-880
Apr 3, 2006 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dsrjohn

Head-Fier
Hi All

Who can explain if there are significant differences between the DT-880s that look like this:
DT 880 2005 edition
http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/Prem...ctdatabase_pi1[showUid][showUID]=174&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=105&cHash=63b457d726

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ma...mic-dt-880.php

and this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT880/

I see that HeadRoom upped their price to $349 from $259 but the pic of the headphones looks the same as before (or so it seems). Is this a totally different headphone than the last time I looked on Headroom a few weeks ago. I understand that they made a different looking model in the 80s BUT I am not referring to that one. I'm talking about the DT-880 in the last year or so. What has happened to it and are they really so different. Seems confusing because the new 2005 model looked no different than before and now there seems to be a new look. Anyone have a recent historyon this?

Thank you

john

Apr 4, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 18
Apr 4, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 18
Whoa, Tyll, why the sudden jump in price? Supplier problem?

Apr 4, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 18
The older version has the bigger bang for the buck. The difference is not noticeable I think, but then if you pay a bit more, you would be wanting some improvement (no matter how slight).

Besides I think the older version looks classic beyer. The new one looks like a sega/nintendo/space invader accessory.
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 18
I bought the older version deliberately for the classic looks. I also heard later that the new version does not have extension cable? That is also a great thing with the older model and having chosen it I have no regrets what so ever. They sound fantastic!
icon10.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for the responses guys. Somewhat helpful in terms of determining the newer look from the previous (pre 2005 or 2006) look. However my question is if Beyer changed the model before they changed the look. Here I see a DT-880 model that comes in the new soft case:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUFFIA-BEYERDYNA...QQcmdZViewItem

but still has the beyerdynamic nameplate in the middle of the headphone and has the pre-2006/2005 look. Does anyknow know if they changed the design around before changing the cosmetics? Wondering if, the DT-880 comes in the new soft case, does it mean it is the "NEW" DT-880 or do the cosmetics alone determine if it is the NEW DT-880.

When did beyer introduce this NEW model? Headroom and Meier only introduced their new prices recently and new pics. Does that mean that prior to the price change and new pics, the previous DT-880 models were the older design. Sorry about the specific questions but wondering if anyone knows the details.

Thank you

john

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

The new DT880 was clearly "warmer" in the sound, more , and punchier, bass.

An interesting observation. Beyer claims there's no difference in sound. Has anybody else noticed a difference in sound between the "old" and newer style DT880s? Describe the difference (if any). Thanks!

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
An interesting observation. Beyer claims there's no difference in sound. Has anybody else noticed a difference in sound between the "old" and newer style DT880s? Describe the difference (if any). Thanks!

Really? I must say I didn't know that. Where did you get that from?

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 18
I really like the design of the new edition. Have tried the old one, sounds very good out of EMP, but doesnt look good.

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali

I posted a comparison here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167969

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsrjohn
Wondering if, the DT-880 comes in the new soft case, does it mean it is the "NEW" DT-880 or do the cosmetics alone determine if it is the NEW DT-880.

The last of the old models were shipped in the same soft leather carry bag as the new ones. The cosmetics alone determine which version it is. It shouldn't be too hard to judge from the pictures.

Old:
dt880.jpg

New:
0020110880_1614.jpg

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 18
The last reply was the answer to my question. I guess I am now expecting the "old" version in the soft case when it arrives next week. Now wondering if the New version is significantly better...

john

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 18
I purchased the DT-880's from Headroom about a month ago for $259 and received the new ones. I think I just got lucky, but I doubt I was the only one.

From what I remember, the text description for the DT-880 on headroom has changed since I purchased mine, but the pictures look the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back