Beyerdynamic DT 880 or DT 990?
May 10, 2010 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

sh00t4par

Head-Fier
Hello. I am new to these boards and have found them a great resource in my research. I have read a lot of posts on headphones in my quest for a new pair. They will be used for listening to music off my iMac while I work and playing games on the Xbox 360 and Mac. I have seen a lot of recommendations for the DT880's for use in gaming and music. I found them on Amazon for $257 but I also saw the DT990 for $229. It would seem that is a better deal if the DT990 is the next model up. Both are the 250 ohms model. Is there any good reason to pay more for the 880's? What are the real differences between the two models? Thanks!

May 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 22
Hello, welcome to Head Fi (and yes, sorry about your wallet...)

Here is a pretty comprehensive review and discussion about the differences in the Beyer models, with the general consensus (I think) being that the DT 990's are quite similar but with more bass:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/234214/beyerdynamic-dt-880-and-dt-990-review-pics

There is a lot of related info here in the forums, so search around and you should find most of what you are looking for. Enjoy!

May 10, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 22
Thank for the reply. Yes I am looking at getting either a iBasso D10 or the audio gd Fun amp for my desktop to use with the iMac. For games I got the Astro Mixamp.

*Edit* Speaking of ibasso there website has been down since yesterday. Is there another way to buy from them?

May 10, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 22
Stop! Do not buy the 250 ohm versions! The 600 ohm versions sound so much better --> No shrilly treble and far more balanced and refined with non-recessed mids.

Don't let the 600 ohms scare you with beyerdynamic, they have proprietary efficient drivers that are really no harder to drive than the 250 ohm versions.

You can always upgrade your D10 down the road, but if you go for the 250ohm version, you'll have to upgrade BOTH!

Now between the DT880/990, the DT880s are the most balanced headphone of the previous flagship generation and the DT990s offer quite a bit more bass (and a bit too much for me). The DT990s are not "bass canons...this one's for you Skylab
wink.gif
), but I would say that the bass is too impactful to be considered "balanced".

Overall I prefer the DT880/600s.

The DT990s are NOT the next model up. The DT770 is the closed headphone version, the DT880 is the semi-open headphone version, and the DT990 is the open headphone version. They are all on the same "level", just different constructions (closed, semi-open, and open).

May 10, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
So I am curious, does a 600 Ohm dt880 plus a little eq'ing to bring up the bass a tad and perhaps drop the highs equal a T1?

LOL...simple answer: NO.

The DT880s are amazing cans indeed, but again, NO. Sorry.

The bass control, details etc... is in a whole new league. The treble of the T1s is the sweetest I've heard to date an no EQing or amping of the DT880s/DT770s (which I still own) can come close.

May 10, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 22
Sure MacedonianHero, go ahead and shoot down my pipe-dream of having T1 sound at dt880 prices. So what percent improvement are we talking here between the two? Or, if the T1 is a ten out of ten, where is the dt880?

May 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 22
LMAO...sorry about that.

I would honestly rate the DT880/600s as really good mid-fi headphones (and one of the top 2 or 3) and the T1s as simply the best headphones I've ever heard (with the HD800s as a close second).

Kind of hard to put numbers out of ten on them though...

I think Skylab (who I really respect around here) used the term "light years better"...(please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Skylab).

May 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
Thank for the reply. Yes I am looking at getting either a iBasso D10 or the audio gd Fun amp for my desktop to use with the iMac. For games I got the Astro Mixamp.

*Edit* Speaking of ibasso there website has been down since yesterday. Is there another way to buy from them?

I hear the Astro should be fine with games; the D10 and the Fun are two completely different monsters. 

May 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 22
i agree with sir MacedonianHero, go for the 600 ohm versions. i just upgraded from the dt 880 250 ohms, and while they were very good cans, the 600 ohm versions surprised me with better overall sq... it is the better deal, go for the 600 ohms! :D you will be bound to get it later anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back