Beyerdynamic DT 880 (need advice!)
Oct 23, 2004 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

will75

1000+ Head-Fier
THE BACKGROUND: Hi all. I purchased a pair of Philips HP890's about a year and a half ago. I use them on my pc with the integrated sound that came with the computer. They don't seem power hungry so the source is ok. They are very comfortable and I'm happy with the sound.

THE PROBLEM: As many others have said, the build quality is poor. There are serious cracks that have formed and they are almost unwearable.

THE QUESTION: I'm interested in getting some Beyerdynamic DT 880's. However, I'm worried that my PCs cheap integrated sound won't power them due to their high impedance. If the only problem will be that they won't get really loud I can live with that. I'm just looking for advice on this. I may get an amp later but I want to know if they will be good without one as well (good, just not optimal).

THE THANK YOU: Thank you!

Will

Oct 23, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Will,

I have a pair of Beyer 880s, and, at the moment, listen to them straight out of my powerbook or iPod. True they don't sound as full as when properly amped - but their wonderful characteristics are still very evident. The open, airy, wide soundstage is all there.

Other head-fi members have suggested the 880s are unbearable without proper amping, but I think you can still enjoy their quality out of an iPod or other portable. (Having said that, I have an SR-71 portable amp coming from the States right now, in order to make the most of the Beyers). IMO, buy the best possible component now, because later your other equipment will inevitably be upgraded to make the most of it.

One thing to note is that the 880s have a heavy, and fairly stiff coiled cord that does not allow much stretch (as compared with the soft rubber cord of the Sony 7506, for example). I've read that the latest 880s have a straight cord. I have a very successful (for me) mod that works like this: I use a rubber band to make a U-bend in the cord as it comes out of the headphone (this "arcs" the stiff cord away from collars etc), then I have one of those conference name-tag plastic clips attached to the top coil of the coiled section (about 30cm/12inches from the headphone itself). I clip the plastic clip to my shirt front which relieves the weight bearing on the left side of the headphones (the cable is single sided). It sounds stupid, but it makes the headphones much lighter and balanced feeling on my head. It also allows for head movement without the cord dragging over collars etc.

And I would also say that, I do have portable phones like the Sennheiser PX200, and the Sony 7506 for use in other situations. So the 880s are great headphones, but they are really best for listening while sitting pretty much still.

Cheers,

Puzzle

Oct 23, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 11
I think it'd be a waste of money. I had the dt880s for almost a year. I've used them from a portable and a cheap integrated, sound was barely acceptable (gave me wierd headaches also). Even with a semi-decent amp, it still won't be that good. Dt880s are insanely power-hungry, but they sound great when their stomach is filled, even if only half-way. I think you'd be better off with a A500/A900/HD595. You could also get a cheap chaintech soundcard for starters ($30). If your soundcard doesn't sound good, your music probably won't sound good.

Oct 23, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 11
The Beyer 880 is awesome but onboard audio would be a no no. If it was a pro-sumer card like the E-Mu 1212m, RME PAD or Chain AV710 then its good. Key good not great. Frankly onbaord audio really can't drive headphones, earbuds included, Beyer 880 especially.

Oct 23, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the replies thus far. How much would a soundcard cost that could drive cans like these?

Oct 23, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 11
will75: If you liked the sound of your HP890, I'm not sure whether you'll be very happy with the sound of the DT880, especially unamped and driven by a soundcard. I'd rather recommend to try the DT440, DT250/250 or the Sennheiser HD 595 for such a situation.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Will75, if you have any kind of reciever or integrated amp laying around, using the headphone jack on that will be acceptable for the DT880s until you can get a *good* amp for them. As far as upgrading your soundcard, $26 should be all you need to get a Chaintech AV-710.

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:49 AM Post #10 of 11
The DT 880 is a very good headphone, especially for around $180 on the used market.

However, I would also strongly recommend the use of an amp for the DT 880. They may sound "good" without one but will sound a lot better with an amp. You'll notice the absence of an amp particularly in the bass region and also through a midrange that lacks authority.

Oct 23, 2004 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 11
The DT440 is one of the few home use headphones that can be driven by portables.The DT880 requires large amplifiers with heavy gauge powercords to even wake them up.Its a good headphone but a poor choice for your purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back