Beyerdynamic DT 880 32 Ohm or 250 ohm? (With Dayton DTA 120 amp)
Jul 8, 2014 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

briancvrrbs

New Head-Fier
I currently own a Dayton DTA 120 amplifier which I'm loving. Recently, I decided to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT880 32 ohm version thinking that I would use them during train rides or in the car but that idea quickly flew by. I ended up purchasing Sennheiser HD 25i II to use while on the road and now use the DT880's while at home for games, music, or movies. However, because I no longer plan on using the DT880 with my iPod, I was wondering if the 250 ohm version would be adequately powered by the Dayton headphone output. I heard the jump in sound quality from the 32 to the 250 is quite significant but I'm worried that the headphones wont be adequately powered. I looked up reviews on the Dayton amp but specifically the headphone output on it and was unable to find any information on it's capabilities.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 4
I think 250 Ohm is about right for a typical headphone amp - I've heard that these amps may struggle with 600 ohms but it's reasonable to assume that if 250 ohms cannot be done then what's the point of designing the amp?

Also you might have some on here disagreeing with what you've read regarding the headphones' impedance affecting sound quality.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 4
If anyone is ever looking for the same answer to the question I asked myself, i'll be posting a comparison soon of the 32 and 250 ohm Beyers being driven by the Dayton amplifier. Just received the BD DT880 250 today and will be testing tomorrow 
beyersmile.png

Btw, thank you SteveHiFi for your response :)

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 4
How do the 250ohm Beyerdynamics sound? And do you still like the way that your Dayton DTA-120 amp is performing? I'm thinking about getting this amp as well but am worried about the headphone output and other issues like background hiss. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back