Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO volume too low for me...ASAP suggestions for alternatives?
Jan 26, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #16 of 26
That needs at least 128mW to get the same output that the PMX-60 can do with 1mW.

Just to be clear. This is not telling you to get an amplifier. This is telling you to find some other headphone that's closer to the PMX-60's 122dB/1mW sensitivity.

Do I need to say that again? Because I'm getting the feeling I need to say that again, based on your recent replies.

Just to be clear. This is not telling you to get an amplifier. This is telling you to find some other headphone that's closer to the PMX-60's 122dB/1mW sensitivity. Or to just stick with the PMX-60.

At minimum: I can not willfully endorse you to blow money on something that will just have such a handicap that you refuse to address and then shockingly get mad at us about when it does suffer that handicap.

Removed all the bloat.

This is still you thinking that whatever works best for you, works for everyone else. Besides getting a amp, you have had really no advice (a janky mod a headphone is not advice and/or solution). Why not (for the loudness problem, not the comfy) "Well, there are USB headphones that give out louder sound due to built in DAC (or whatever). Try one of those". That would actually be respected and a real alternative. You saying your personal opinion on what sounds better, saying get a dac, or almost anything else, really does not help with the current issues.

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #17 of 26
Removed all the bloat.

This is still you thinking that whatever works best for you, works for everyone else. Besides getting a amp, you have had really no advice (a janky mod a headphone is not advice and/or solution). Why not (for the loudness problem, not the comfy) "Well, there are USB headphones that give out louder sound due to built in DAC (or whatever). Try one of those". That would actually be respected and a real alternative. You saying your personal opinion on what sounds better, saying get a dac, or almost anything else, really does not help with the current issues.
You are limiting yourself a lot here.
If you want same volume from same source, there isn’t that many options as
If you could add an amp, then there’s a world of headphones to chose from.

By not knowing anything how they sound, I’ve found these:
Sennheiser HD 400s, HD 569
Plantronics rig 800hd

but as I said, no idea how they sound.

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #18 of 26
This is still you thinking that whatever works best for you, works for everyone else.

Now THIS is me thinking what's best for me, works for everyone else.

"Get an In-ear monitor and a Fiio Q1."

Did I tell you to do that? No. I told you to stick with the perfect headphone with the perfect sound with the extreme sensitivity advantage that you will keep comparing everything to and get mad when sensitivity and power are specsplained to you. Because sticking with something you already know for sure works for you is the safest bet as opposed to comparing something with a relative sensitivity handicap.

Unfortunately this discussion isn't going anywhere because you're about as sensitive as the PMX-60...except it's a totally different sense of being "sensitive."

Besides getting a amp, you have had really no advice (a janky mod a headphone is not advice and/or solution).

I just reiterated one.

It's the third paragraph above.

But then again I've already lost count of how many times I repeat that and you don't consider it a solution.

Why not (for the loudness problem, not the comfy) "Well, there are USB headphones that give out louder sound due to built in DAC (or whatever). Try one of those". That would actually be respected and a real alternative.

1. A DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter. The only effect it will have on loudness is the gain on the line output voltage that it will send to the amplifier circuit, the gain and power for which are still more important...which in turn are less important than sensitivity. The headhone's, not yours, just to be clear.

2. If it runs off USB it'll run off a 5V, 500mA power supply, and not even wireless headphones are all equipped with drivers that have 122dB/1mW sensitivity.

You saying your personal opinion on what sounds better, saying get a dac, or almost anything else, really does not help with the current issues.

122dB/1mW vs your so far 96dB/1mW that you complain isn't loud and not getting a 106dB/1mW headphone ie +10dB is where psychologists peg the human perception to perceive the loudness having doubled is not an opinion.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #19 of 26
You are limiting yourself a lot here.
If you want same volume from same source, there isn’t that many options as
If you could add an amp, then there’s a world of headphones to chose from.

By not knowing anything how they sound, I’ve found these:
Sennheiser HD 400s, HD 569
Plantronics rig 800hd

but as I said, no idea how they sound.
Well, even if you have no idea how they sound, giving links to reviews talking about how good they are for hip-hop, for movies and that streamers have long sessions with them and are comfy, would be helpful :)

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #20 of 26
Now THIS is me thinking what's best for me, works for everyone else.

"Get an In-ear monitor and a Fiio Q1."

Did I tell you to do that? No. I told you to stick with the perfect headphone with the perfect sound with the extreme sensitivity advantage that you will keep comparing everything to and get mad when sensitivity and power are specsplained to you. Because sticking with something you already know for sure works for you is the safest bet as opposed to comparing something with a relative sensitivity handicap.

Unfortunately this discussion isn't going anywhere because you're about as sensitive as the PMX-60...except it's a totally different sense of being "sensitive."

I just reiterated one.

It's the third paragraph above.

But then again I've already lost count of how many times I repeat that and you don't consider it a solution.
How you fail to see that that is NOT a solution to the question of "what other headphones should I get because I want to use another pair that is not the PMX 60", is beyond me. Im starting to think you are simply trolling me. Or worst.

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #21 of 26
Well, even if you have no idea how they sound, giving links to reviews talking about how good they are for hip-hop, for movies and that streamers have long sessions with them and are comfy, would be helpful :)

Thought you would be happy to get some options and thought you could google it yourself.

good luck with the hunt!

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #23 of 26
Ok so the AKG K371

I notice them way more comfy then the DTT 770 Pro. My ears don't feel as hot.

Volume is way better. Like way way better. Like I said, this is probably because the others where 80 and these are way less....

But....

The vocals are not quality. They feel really degraded and low quality. They get lost in the beat. The bass is good (not as good as the DTT 770 Pro) and the rest of the beat too but the vocals are really bad.

There is also a side note: The pads literally fell off the headphones like in it's third use. I noticed that the pads didn't look like 100€+ headphones so I'm returning this as I feel I got a defective unit.

We are almost back to square one. The thing is to return these and get the same hoping that it is a better unit or go for something different.

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #25 of 26
Return that 770 and get a Sony MDR-1AM2! Very light, comfortable and can be driven by a potato. Also they have a very consumer friendly sound signature that will sound fantastic with hip-hop and electronic music. Amazing bass and amazing detail. VERY underrated headphone around here, but check out their thread here on head-fi and you'll see they do get lots of love from the people who own them. Myself included.

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #26 of 26
Return that 770 and get a Sony MDR-1AM2! Very light, comfortable and can be driven by a potato. Also they have a very consumer friendly sound signature that will sound fantastic with hip-hop and electronic music. Amazing bass and amazing detail. VERY underrated headphone around here, but check out their thread here on head-fi and you'll see they do get lots of love from the people who own them. Myself included.
I just read that one but I cant find the Sony MDR-1AM2; Only Sony MDR-1AM2S and Sony MDR-1AM2B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back