Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO volume too low for me...ASAP suggestions for alternatives?
Jan 24, 2020 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

riahc3

100+ Head-Fier
Hello

I got the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 and the volume is too low....On top of that it seems the 32 is more or less the same

Also, they arent as comfy as Id wish.

Any alternatives?

Also please ASAP because I have to return them to amazon

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 26
I got the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 and the volume is too low....On top of that it seems the 32 is more or less the same

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Hea...eadphone+amplifier&qid=1579939273&sr=8-4&th=1

Note that there can be compatibility issues with some smartphones and even Win10.

Bent the metal headband and the kink at the transition into the gimbals inward to tighten and outward to loosen.

Any alternatives?

Not if you still want a portable and find the Beyer too tight.

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 26
This is a amp, not a headphone

Bent the metal headband and the kink at the transition into the gimbals inward to tighten and outward to loosen.
The fix is OK, its not a tight issue.....Its more that it gives way too much heat in and around ear.

Not if you still want a portable and find the Beyer too tight.
I never mentioned the word "Tight" in OP

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 26
This is a amp, not a headphone

Apparently I have to explain this: use that amp to drive a headphone.

You're basically asking what car can you power with the engine you don't want to replace that will be faster than the barebones Lotus 7 chassis you have, and when told that anything that is even a kilo heavier than it will be slower and you're told to replace the engine instead, you say, "that's an engine, not a chassis."

I never mentioned the word "Tight" in OP

That's kind of why I used "if."
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/if

The fix is OK, its not a tight issue.....Its more that it gives way too much heat in and around ear.

Anything that will wrap around your ears will always be hotter, even if the fit is loose.

Unfortunately anything else will still cover more of your ears even if they don't wrap around them, like the leather pads trying to seal off your entire outer ear on the NAD HP50.

Your other alternatives are in-ear monitors...but then you might have a problem with your ear canals getting hot.

Just stick with the PMX-60 because not even the iGrado has anywhere near the sensitivity of that headphone and you are absolutely adamant about not using an amp as to respond "that's an amp, not a headphone" like I was dropped on the head. Of course it's an amp, you use that to make it go louder.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 26
Hello

Any alternatives?

As I see it, options is either to keep the 770 and get an amp sou that you get some sound out of them.

Or another pair of headphones, if you want to change, what are you looking for in terms of sound? Open/closed? Budget?

If the 770s are painful to wear, then just return them and look for something else.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 26
Apparently I have to explain this: use that amp to drive a headphone.

Every headphone I have used, I have not had to get a amp for. Im complimenting the PMX 60 for two reasons:

1: The over the neck design is a bit uncomfy and stressful
2: They are worn out.

But the PMX 60 has great sound quality and are pretty OK. I dont know how they will do for LONG hours sessions (I dont imagine they will not do as great) but Im looking to use them as compliments.

Anything that will wrap around your ears will always be hotter, even if the fit is loose.
I think Ive come to this conclusion yes. This might be why getting the ATH-M60x is a better choice than getting the ATH-M50x

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 26
As I see it, options is either to keep the 770 and get an amp sou that you get some sound out of them.

Or another pair of headphones, if you want to change, what are you looking for in terms of sound? Open/closed? Budget?

If the 770s are painful to wear, then just return them and look for something else.
Getting a amp is not a option. On top of that, like I mentioned, the 770 Pro are slightly uncomfy for me as they get too hot around and in the ears.

In terms of sounds, I listen to hip-hop music (so Id like the headphones geared towards that) and watch movies. Im also going to be using these headphones for streaming.

I wouldnt call them "painful" but Im not too comfy with them. Im gonna watch a movie this weekend but all signs point to returning them. That being said, I need a alternative: It would be nice to order the new ones now, so they arrive Monday and return the old ones Monday.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 26
I think Ive come to this conclusion yes. This might be why getting the ATH-M60x is a better choice than getting the ATH-M50x
The m60x is definitely a better idea to the m50s if you think the 770s are to hot.
The dt770 uses velour pads, which is not near as hot as the m50x pleather, IMO.

and, I do think the m60x is way superior in sound quality to the 50s

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 26
Every headphone I have used, I have not had to get a amp for. Im complimenting the PMX 60 for two reasons:

1: The over the neck design is a bit uncomfy and stressful
2: They are worn out.

But the PMX 60 has great sound quality and are pretty OK. I dont know how they will do for LONG hours sessions (I dont imagine they will not do as great) but Im looking to use them as compliments.

Something is going to give at some point. Every design is a compromise between response smoothness (or deliberate bass enhancement with any degree of care for the rest of the range, which will be its own compromise), sensitivity, materials, and price.

Even for an IEM having 117dB/1mW like the Westone 2 or 120dB/1mW like a Shure SE535 is relatively rare, let alone 125dB/1mW from Aurisonics now that it was absorbed by Fender and the ASG line killed off.

Sadly you're on a forum where people are willing to pay the sensitivity penalty with an amplifier if it gets smoother response (or just listen at a lower volume), so chances are apart from IEMs nobody might be familiar with anything close to the sensitivity of a mass market headphone whose primary design parameter is "make sure it gets loud on whatever people shopping at a big store are likely to have in their pockets." You're basically looking for a scooter among a bunch of people who have performance cars and if they ever use a bike as a daily driver it's something like an Aprilia Shiver.

Your best bet really is to get a PMX 60 again or whatever replaced it in Sennheiser's line so the sound will be close.

If the DT770 on what i assume were velour pads already too hot, the only way the M60X with leather pads can be any better is if you wear it forward and follow the contour of the earlobe...but that still leaves you hot wherever the earcup covers the rest of your ears.

Also if the DT770 at 96dB/1mW is too soft and the benchmark is a 122dB PMX-60 chances are you'll perceive a 102dB/1mW headphone closer to the first than the latter.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #10 of 26
Something is going to give at some point. Every design is a compromise between response smoothness (or deliberate bass enhancement with any degree of care for the rest of the range, which will be its own compromise), sensitivity, materials, and price.

Even for an IEM having 117dB/1mW like the Westone 2 or 120dB/1mW like a Shure SE535 is relatively rare, let alone 125dB/1mW from Aurisonics now that it was absorbed by Fender and the ASG line killed off.

Sadly you're on a forum where people are willing to pay the sensitivity penalty with an amplifier if it gets smoother response (or just listen at a lower volume), so chances are apart from IEMs nobody might be familiar with anything close to the sensitivity of a mass market headphone whose primary design parameter is "make sure it gets loud on whatever people shopping at a big store are likely to have in their pockets." You're basically looking for a scooter among a bunch of people who have performance cars and if they ever use a bike as a daily driver it's something like an Aprilia Shiver.

Your best bet really is to get a PMX 60 again or whatever replaced it in Sennheiser's line so the sound will be close.

If the DT770 on what i assume were velour pads already too hot, the only way the M60X with leather pads can be any better is if you wear it forward and follow the contour of the earlobe...but that still leaves you hot wherever the earcup covers the rest of your ears.

Also if the DT770 at 96dB/1mW is too soft and the benchmark is a 122dB PMX-60 chances are you'll perceive a 102dB/1mW headphone closer to the first than the latter.

Its actually a lot simpler than that: What you think is best for you, is not best for everyone else.

That being said, I do blame myself for not giving enough info the posts. Not really much I can do as I attempted it but obviously havent transmitted it correctly.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 26
Its actually a lot simpler than that: What you think is best for you, is not best for everyone else.

No.

It's about how if you think of this as a video game you're creating a character and you get XX points. And you only have those XX points. That's the sensitivity, smooth response, distortion resistance, longevity, and cost of the headphone drivers. And then even if you use a cheat code (ie, more money) to unlock YY points, some parameters can't be increased (current tech limitations).

I actually addressed what is best for you: just get another PMX-60 or whatever took its place in Sennheiser's line up. It might not be perfect, but you won't end up complaining you can barely hear the sound but won't use what they require. Sticking to what's familiar is still easier than railing at the different compromises involved with whatever you replace it with. It's like staying in a tiny old town and get married never divorce vs a series of expensive divorce proceedings downtown.

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 26
The m60x is definitely a better idea to the m50s if you think the 770s are to hot.
The dt770 uses velour pads, which is not near as hot as the m50x pleather, IMO.

and, I do think the m60x is way superior in sound quality to the 50s
Well, this is horrible; The m60x are not available to buy. I was just gonna buy them. Damn it

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 26
Another option is the Koss Porta Pro Classic

These have got to be the ugliest things Ive seen in the entire universe and using them on steam will get some laughs but oh well....

Most people are saying they are comfy

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 26
Yes.

If you cant admit that what might be the best for you, might not be the best for everyone, you might want to have that checked out and stop giving advice.

HF_01.jpg

Another option is the Koss Porta Pro Classic

These have got to be the ugliest things Ive seen in the entire universe and using them on steam will get some laughs but oh well....

Most people are saying they are comfy

That needs at least 128mW to get the same output that the PMX-60 can do with 1mW.

Just to be clear. This is not telling you to get an amplifier. This is telling you to find some other headphone that's closer to the PMX-60's 122dB/1mW sensitivity.

Do I need to say that again? Because I'm getting the feeling I need to say that again, based on your recent replies.

Just to be clear. This is not telling you to get an amplifier. This is telling you to find some other headphone that's closer to the PMX-60's 122dB/1mW sensitivity. Or to just stick with the PMX-60.

At minimum: I can not willfully endorse you to blow money on something that will just have such a handicap that you refuse to address and then shockingly get mad at us about when it does suffer that handicap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back