Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (Amp)
Mar 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Xiaonyx

New Head-Fier
Wasnt sure if it was a better idea to start this thread on this topic or the portable amp topic..

I have recently decided to get the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's off of Amazon. They seem to fulfill my needs for a pair of headphones. However, they are said to be more of a at-home pair. But i would be using them portably at my school as well as at home. I am new to this amp thing, and not sure if i should get one with these cans since i am already going over my budget purchasing them. (Of course amazon has risen up the price since i first looked)
I was thinking about getting the 32ohm edition, since it can be powered by my iPod. But i heard there is a sound difference from the 80ohm version. Which should i get? And if the 80ohm truly is better, what is a cheap portable amp i can use?
Are there any other headphones out there similar to these beyers? If so what are they?

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:
Wasnt sure if it was a better idea to start this thread on this topic or the portable amp topic..

I have recently decided to get the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's off of Amazon. They seem to fulfill my needs for a pair of headphones. However, they are said to be more of a at-home pair. But i would be using them portably at my school as well as at home. I am new to this amp thing, and not sure if i should get one with these cans since i am already going over my budget purchasing them. (Of course amazon has risen up the price since i first looked)
I was thinking about getting the 32ohm edition, since it can be powered by my iPod. But i heard there is a sound difference from the 80ohm version. Which should i get? And if the 80ohm truly is better, what is a cheap portable amp i can use?
Are there any other headphones out there similar to these beyers? If so what are they?

If you want to go portable then I'd get the 32 Ohm version. They are easier to drive with a Portable Amp. Look at the FiiO offerings in terms of Portable Amps. Really good cost/performance ratio and they have them at Amazon.com so you can try it risk free.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 16
If you want to go portable then I'd get the 32 Ohm version. They are easier to drive with a Portable Amp. Look at the FiiO offerings in terms of Portable Amps. Really good cost/performance ratio and they have them at Amazon.com so you can try it risk free.

Thanks for the oppinion, so the 32ohm is recommended to be powered by an amp as well?

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the oppinion, so the 32ohm is recommended to be powered by an amp as well?

No. No amp needed.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
Quote:
No. No amp needed.

Beautiful, but are there any other construction / sound differences between the 32ohm and 80ohm? Besides the pads

A small, very small, difference. I noticed a difference between DT880 250 ohm and 600 ohm, and for the $40 I paid more for the 600 ohm I thought it was worth it(already had an amp so didn't matter much.) I'd say the 32 ohm will be perfect in your situation.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 16
A small, very small, difference. I noticed a difference between DT880 250 ohm and 600 ohm, and for the $40 I paid more for the 600 ohm I thought it was worth it(already had an amp so didn't matter much.) I'd say the 32 ohm will be perfect in your situation.

Alright, looks like we have a winner! Time to rack up an extra $50..

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 16
Go for the 32 ohm version, assuming it is around the same price and as easily attainable as the 80 ohm version; as the 32 ohms will be easier to drive from your ipod.

I have the 80 ohm version and it is driven nicely/loudly by my ipod (4th gen) and iphone 5. However, it does not get loud enough from my ipod nano (6th gen). So it really comes down to what source you are using.

Don't worry about an amp for now, especially since you write that you are already over budget. Get the headphone and pair it with your ipod and see how it sounds. If you like it and it gets loud enough, then you are good to go. A budget/cheaper amp might improve the sound quality to your ears, but these improvements are very subtle. If you are doing critical listening at home, and feel that you'd like to get an amp to better drive the cans, then look into amps. For whichever ohm version you get, if they are not loud enough for portable use with your ipod, look into budget amps like the Fiio E11 or E6 - they should be fine for your purposes.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 16
Go for the 32 ohm version, assuming it is around the same price and as easily attainable as the 80 ohm version; as the 32 ohms will be easier to drive from your ipod.

I have the 80 ohm version and it is driven nicely/loudly by my ipod (4th gen) and iphone 5. However, it does not get loud enough from my ipod nano (6th gen). So it really comes down to what source you are using.

Don't worry about an amp for now, especially since you write that you are already over budget. Get the headphone and pair it with your ipod and see how it sounds. If you like it and it gets loud enough, then you are good to go. A budget/cheaper amp might improve the sound quality to your ears, but these improvements are very subtle. If you are doing critical listening at home, and feel that you'd like to get an amp to better drive the cans, then look into amps. For whichever ohm version you get, if they are not loud enough for portable use with your ipod, look into budget amps like the Fiio E11 or E6 - they should be fine for your purposes.

The 32ohm version is actually more since it is considered limited edition im guessing. I am actually using an iPod Touch 4th.. You say it powers your 80ohm pair nicely? Like how loud?

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

The 32ohm version is actually more since it is considered limited edition im guessing. I am actually using an iPod Touch 4th.. You say it powers your 80ohm pair nicely? Like how loud?

Honestly, I'd just safely go with the 32 ohm version.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
Right, but i have just heard better things about the 80ohm. And i can always get an amp in the future if theres any issues.

Well then I guess you answered you own question. 
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #14 of 16
e11 + 80 ohm version is probably around the same price as the 32 ohm LE. So go for the e11 and 80 ohm version of the dt770. The sound will probably be better and you should be able to go loud enough to damage your hearing severely
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back