Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80ohm or NAD VISO HP50?
Oct 22, 2015 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

haozhendeng

New Head-Fier
I'm new to the audiophile world and looking for a good pair of headphones for everyday use. I listen mainly to rock, pop and some female vocals. After doing a lot of research I've come down to these two options: Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80ohm or NAD VISO HP50.

The sound signature I want:

Punchy, deep enough bass with impact and thrum, like those you hear in live gigs, but not boomy or anything like headphones that are typically known for bass heavy

Good mids and highs with some sparkly treble. Overall balanced sound.

Energetic, engaging and musical.

So Which one would be a better choice for me? I don't have a chance to audition either of them where I live. Or are there better headphones out there for my preferences? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 23
You should consider the Soundmagic HP-150

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 23
NAD might not be a good choice for you - bass might not be deep enough or hard enough and they're not really musical.
Beyer seems like a bit better in bass department (quantitywise) and bit more musical but they're also much harder to drive.

From what you wrote I think Philips Fidelio L2 are the best choice for you. And they sound amazing even from good smartphone plus build quality and design is much better than both Beyer and NAD.

I've had all 3 of them and soundwise NAD was my favourite but only with Oppo HA-2. With other sources I didn't like them that much so synergy is needed. Beyer was my least favourite.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 23
  NAD might not be a good choice for you - bass might not be deep enough or hard enough and they're not really musical.
Beyer seems like a bit better in bass department (quantitywise) and bit more musical but they're also much harder to drive.

From what you wrote I think Philips Fidelio L2 are the best choice for you. And they sound amazing even from good smartphone plus build quality and design is much better than both Beyer and NAD.

I've had all 3 of them and soundwise NAD was my favourite but only with Oppo HA-2. With other sources I didn't like them that much so synergy is needed. Beyer was my least favourite.

Sorry I forgot to mention, but as I live on campus in my dormitory, going with close headphones seems much more rational. And the Philips Fidelio L2 has a semi-open design. Any other suggestions?

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 23

Besides, does bass become more punchy and textured on the HP50 when amped? And how do you mean they're not musical? I've heard so many good things about them that I'm that close to pulling the trigger, but I am still hesitating as I have not tried them for myself.

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 23

Besides, does bass become more punchy and textured on the HP50 when amped? And how do you mean they're not musical? I've heard so many good things about them that I'm that close to pulling the trigger, but I am still hesitating as I have not tried them for myself.

Problem with bass generally speaking is that everyone seems to interpret neutral quantity very differently.
What source will you use? They don't need much power but they do need good synergy. With HA-2 bass is punchy and well textured and they sound more musical than usually.
It's hard to describe what "musical" is - let me put it that way - while playing music on Fidelio L2 you may be motivated to stand up and dance, on NAD Viso you're more likely be sitting and relaxing listening and enjoying the music. NAD are only slightly warm, more on the neutral side, L2 are warmer and more "fun" sounding.

Nonetheless if you'd decide to buy Oppo HA-2 as well:) I would very strongly recommend Viso HP50.
If you listen mostly from smartphone then maybe Sennheiser Momentum would do the trick for you.

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 23
  Problem with bass generally speaking is that everyone seems to interpret neutral quantity very differently.
What source will you use? They don't need much power but they do need good synergy. With HA-2 bass is punchy and well textured and they sound more musical than usually.
It's hard to describe what "musical" is - let me put it that way - while playing music on Fidelio L2 you may be motivated to stand up and dance, on NAD Viso you're more likely be sitting and relaxing listening and enjoying the music. NAD are only slightly warm, more on the neutral side, L2 are warmer and more "fun" sounding.

Nonetheless if you'd decide to buy Oppo HA-2 as well:) I would very strongly recommend Viso HP50.
If you listen mostly from smartphone then maybe Sennheiser Momentum would do the trick for you.

I used to like sitting back and enjoy the music, but now I constantly find myself demanding more energy.
I've actually tried the Momentum for an hour or so. Bass on the Momentum is far from satisfying for me. I know the bass is there but definitely not deep or punchy. It actually seems a bit loose. I want something that makes me want to dance :)

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 23

I used to like sitting back and enjoy the music, but now I constantly find myself demanding more energy.
I've actually tried the Momentum for an hour or so. Bass on the Momentum is far from satisfying for me. I know the bass is there but definitely not deep or punchy. It actually seems a bit loose. I want something that makes me want to dance :)

To be honest I think the DT770 fits my need in terms of SQ very well, but it's not at all portable. That's the deal breaker. 
So it all comes down to whether HP50 has the same kind of bass as DT770..

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 23
HP50 has definitely less bass than dt770pro but a better one in quality.
Unfortunately my knowledge and experience with closed headphones in this price range ends here.
I think what you're looking for is Sony XBA-H3 or XBA-A3 but in over-ears form. Maybe try something from Sony - it shouldn't be hard to find them somewhere and try them out - it's Sony after all.

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 23
  HP50 has definitely less bass than dt770pro but a better one in quality.
Unfortunately my knowledge and experience with closed headphones in this price range ends here.
I think what you're looking for is Sony XBA-H3 or XBA-A3 but in over-ears form. Maybe try something from Sony - it shouldn't be hard to find them somewhere and try them out - it's Sony after all.

What do you mean by the bass on HP50 has better quality?

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #12 of 23
  It has better definition, better texture and definitely better control. And it's also faster. DT770 is more boomy and loose.
(I sold Viso 2 weeks ago so it's fresh impressions, however DT770 were sold like more than 2 years ago so it's from distant memory)

So is it safe to say the bass on HP50 has more 'impact' than on DT770? By impact I mean speed, thrum, thump, percussion etc. You get the idea. I have no idea if this is the way to put it, but I like the instant explosion of bass with plenty of tightness...
Which one of these two headphones would make you feel like you're there, say at a live gig?
Also did you use an amp with the Beyer?

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #13 of 23

So is it safe to say the bass on HP50 has more 'impact' than on DT770? By impact I mean speed, thrum, thump, percussion etc. You get the idea. I have no idea if this is the way to put it, but I like the instant explosion of bass with plenty of tightness...
Which one of these two headphones would make you feel like you're there, say at a live gig?

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #14 of 23

So is it safe to say the bass on HP50 has more 'impact' than on DT770? By impact I mean speed, thrum, thump, percussion etc. You get the idea. As I've said I don't like anything mushy.

Well, DT770 will give you more thump but HP50 will give you more precision, better separation and clarity. I think DT770 is definitely more mushy than HP50.
DT770 must be used with amp to be driven properly.
About the lifelike expericence - it's hard to say. Like I said HP50 is more precise, but DT770 has wider soundstage if I recall correctly. For live music DT770 might actually be better.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #15 of 23
  It has better definition, better texture and definitely better control. And it's also faster. DT770 is more boomy and loose.
(I sold Viso 2 weeks ago so it's fresh impressions, however DT770 were sold like more than 2 years ago so it's from distant memory)

I just found out that I can get the Oppo HA-2 for a fair price. Do they bring about huge improvements? If so I think I would be very happy with this combo since I have to get an amp anyway whichever one of these two headphones I get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back