beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80 - worth upgrading from 2009? (re: gaming, music)
Dec 23, 2020 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jklimek

New Head-Fier
I've been using beyerdynamic dt 770 (80 ohm) headphones since around 2009. They are in really good condition and I modified them a year or two ago to have a 3.5mm jack instead of the included cord.

However, I'm now working from home and am thinking about upgrading but I don't know much about headphones.

Are these headphones from 2009 still considered good? If I wanted to upgrade to something for around $200 - $250 is there anything better available?

The headphones will be used about 50% music and 50% gaming so something that sounds good with surround-sound (gaming) would be nice. I also like the full-size (over the ear) headphones as it blocks out my kids upstairs (virtual learning due to covid) and my wife (working from home).

EDIT: I'm talking about 100% usage from my computer and I'm using a very old Logitech Z-5500 THX amplifier/speakers with these headphones and PC.

Thanks for any advice or information!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 5
I personally don't think there is a better option until you hit about the $500 budget. I use my DT770 250 Ohm for gaming and I have many other more expensive options. You could probably find something in that range for gaming but you would probably sacrifice music quality.
EDIT: could not should

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply!

I'll have to do some more research, but how do the dt990 compare to the dt770?

I've never used open-ended (?) headphones so I don't have anything to compare these dt770s to.

It sounds like open-end headphones provide a wide sound stage which might be better for gaming?

Is it over-kill to have both the 770 and 990?

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 5
I like the 990 as well but they don't sound radically different. I lent them to my cousin so I can't compare right now.

Yes, open end would be better for gaming. Sennheiser makes a few of them. Check out Drop.com.

Nah, I have both. I like both for different reason. I bought them both used pretty cheap.

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 5
I personally don't think there is a better option until you hit about the $500 budget. I use my DT770 250 Ohm for gaming and I have many other more expensive options. You could probably find something in that range for gaming but you would probably sacrifice music quality.
EDIT: could not should

wholeheartedly agree with this, i tried a buncha headphones and i just went back to the dt770 80ohm and it feels nice to be back home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back