Beyerdynamic DT-770 (Pro/80) vs. DT-770 (Pro/250) vs. DT-990 (Pro/250)
Nov 8, 2011 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Fakeyfakerson

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it all. Up until a few weeks ago I owned the DT-770 (Pro/80) model and loved it. Both of the drivers ended up rattling (from what I've read probably due to hair getting in the drivers) so since I had them covered by squartrade I sent them back for a full refund instead of trying to fix them myself. I really enjoyed them so naturally I reordered them via amazon a few days ago.

Today they arrived and I realized that I accidentally ordered the 250 Ohm versions
frown.gif
Embarrassing, I know, but they look identical to the 80 Ohm version and I thought all 250 Ohm versions looked like the redesigned 2005 versions. Serves me right for not checking the specifications more closely! So now I'm in a bit of a pickle. Do I send these back and reorder the 80 Ohm versions (for an extra $30, unfortunately), keep these, or go for the DT-990 Pro 250 Ohm version (the pre-2005 version, with older black plastic).

I'm definitely going to keep these (Pro/250's) around for a week or so to test out, but I'm wondering about your guys opinions as well. From what I gathered the general consensus is the Pro/80's sound a bit more balanced. Thoughts, opinions? Thanks!

Edit: They'll be driven by an Xonar Essence STX so powering them isn't a problem
beyersmile.png

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 13
Heya,

Keep the 250ohm if you want a closed headphone. They're just as good. They're just higher impedance, and so require a small amount of more juice. If you are having trouble driving them, then consider replacing with the 80ohm version again. If you're having no issue driving them, then keep them. It's that simple. If you want an open air headphone, then swap to the DT990 PRO (you will gain a little more sound stage, but otherwise, a very similar sound). I love the DT770's because as a closed headphone, they have a good sound stage, good isolation, and are still comfortable. One of my favorites, because they accomplish it with velour pads instead of leather.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Title says it all. Up until a few weeks ago I owned the DT-770 (Pro/80) model and loved it. Both of the drivers ended up rattling (from what I've read probably due to hair getting in the drivers) so since I had them covered by squartrade I sent them back for a full refund instead of trying to fix them myself. I really enjoyed them so naturally I reordered them via amazon a few days ago.
Today they arrived and I realized that I accidentally ordered the 250 Ohm versions
frown.gif
Embarrassing, I know, but they look identical to the 80 Ohm version and I thought all 250 Ohm versions looked like the redesigned 2005 versions. Serves me right for not checking the specifications more closely! So now I'm in a bit of a pickle. Do I send these back and reorder the 80 Ohm versions (for an extra $30, unfortunately), keep these, or go for the DT-990 Pro 250 Ohm version (the pre-2005 version, with older black plastic).
I'm definitely going to keep these (Pro/250's) around for a week or so to test out, but I'm wondering about your guys opinions as well. From what I gathered the general consensus is the Pro/80's sound a bit more balanced. Thoughts, opinions? Thanks!

I first bought the DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm (nice bass), I liked them so much I ordered the DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm.
I really really like the sound of the DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm, use it with an Essence STX (3X LME49860NA) and Onkyo 706B receiver.
Hopefully you'll like them too and save $30.

What source(s) do you plug your headphones into?

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 13
They're in an Essence STX so driving them is not an issue. I've been reading a bit on these forums and it seems a lot of people say the 250 Ohms have more loose bass but less mids. I'm going to give them a listen tonight.

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 13
Have you thought about replacing the three op-amps.
You can get 3 LME49860NAs for $15.
The LM4652 (STX buffer op-amp) was renamed the LME49720NA,
then the cherry pick of the LME49720NA are labeled LME49860NA.
The LME49860NA is the LME49720NA with a better voltage range.

I've heard the AD797 are great op-amps for the STX, price for 3 is around $30-$35.

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Gave them a listen today. Hard to tell since they aren't broken in but it seems to me like they're how others described. More bass but not as controlled, slightly recessed mids.

What weird, the Pro 80-Ohm are usually considered the bassest of the two.
As I own both models, I'll test them when i get home in 30 minutes.

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 13
Yea, I think the sound quality combined with the coiled cable being a nuisance means I'm going to end up shipping these back. Looking on eBay and there are some on there for $150 new from a reputable seller. I may start a new thread for this question, but is that generally a safe thing to do? There isn't a big chance that they'll make fake beyerdynamics, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110773228387

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Yea, I think the sound quality combined with the coiled cable being a nuisance means I'm going to end up shipping these back. Looking on eBay and there are some on there for $150 new from a reputable seller. I may start a new thread for this question, but is that generally a safe thing to do? There isn't a big chance that they'll make fake beyerdynamics, right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110773228387

They have great feedback.
Lots of the fake stuff is shipped out of Hong Kong.

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 13
How is the comparison DT-770 (Pro/80) vs. DT-770 (Pro/250) vs. DT-990 (Pro/250)DT770 in term of :

1) Bass. Which one has more quality bass which is tighter, deeper, punchy and not the "BOOM BOOM BOOM"?

2) Sounds stage. Which one has the wider sounds stage?

3) Sounds separation. Which one has very detail separation?

4) Mids range.

5) High. Which one has a very smooth treble yet it won't hurt your ear?

6) Confort

7) Build quality

If I pay with ipod classic, is the its internal amp is good enough to drive ths headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back