Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 32Ω bass reduction mod
Jun 15, 2019 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sejsel

500+ Head-Fier
I am starting this thread in hope that someone (anyone) could answer this query - question.

I find these cans to have some really nice qualities. Clear, excellent separation, speed, detail and natural sounding, apart from one thing that kills them completely to my ears, and that is the overwhelming bass response with EDM - Electronica, Dance, house and similar types of music. I am used to more flat, neutral bass response, as well as more layered and detailed, and tighter bass.

As I have said, these headphones would otherwise be actually my favorite for the budget closed-type headphone alternative, to be used indoors while not at home.

I would now kindly ask anyone, (for the sake of keeping the discussion focused on this very issue, as given in the title of the thread) not to give the recommendations for other headphones (I happen to be familiar with some of them in the same - similar price range) and for the sake of all of us to keep matters simple and perhaps make an attempt solve this particular problem for a number of users who feel the same (there are a lot of them expressing the same regarding the bass response on these).

So if we could concentrate on simple and easy way (or any way ) to reduce the bass on these and make it flatter and more uniform in response and sound, I would be really grateful for that .

I have also started the thread without any intention whatsoever to have it divert into discussion of the type "I don't think these are bassy headphones, they do not have exaggerated bass response" - in other words, debate about the opposite kind of perception of their sound.

I have tried the simplest of bass reduction means by sinking the bass through the control of the - say - quick time player - but this wooliness remains as a general characteristic, and I fear that there is no easy physical (non-software) solution to this, or no solution at all, at this stage.

To keep it simple, is it possible to reduce significantly the bass response on these, and how ?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 6
I am starting this thread in hope that someone (anyone) could answer this query - question.

I find these cans to have some really nice qualities. Clear, excellent separation, speed, detail and natural sounding, apart from one thing that kills them completely to my ears, and that is the overwhelming bass response with EDM - Electronica, Dance, house and similar types of music. I am used to more flat, neutral bass response, as well as more layered and detailed, and tighter bass.

As I have said, these headphones would otherwise be actually my favorite for the budget closed-type headphone alternative, to be used indoors while not at home.

I would now kindly ask anyone, (for the sake of keeping the discussion focused on this very issue, as given in the title of the thread) not to give the recommendations for other headphones (I happen to be familiar with some of them in the same - similar price range) and for the sake of all of us to keep matters simple and perhaps make an attempt solve this particular problem for a number of users who feel the same (there are a lot of them expressing the same regarding the bass response on these).

So if we could concentrate on simple and easy way (or any way ) to reduce the bass on these and make it flatter and more uniform in response and sound, I would be really grateful for that .

I have also started the thread without any intention whatsoever to have it divert into discussion of the type "I don't think these are bassy headphones, they do not have exaggerated bass response" - in other words, debate about the opposite kind of perception of their sound.

I have tried the simplest of bass reduction means by sinking the bass through the control of the - say - quick time player - but this wooliness remains as a general characteristic, and I fear that there is no easy physical (non-software) solution to this, or no solution at all, at this stage.

To keep it simple, is it possible to reduce significantly the bass response on these, and how ?

IME experience cutting a wide bass band doesn't really work well.

If you have access to a proper parametric EQ (EqualizerAPO/Peace GUI is great for Windows), try the "new pads" settings provided by this reddit user as a base:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index
This is still an overall warm tilt (tuned to the harman target curve), but fairly aggressively carved sub-bass that might neutralise it enough for your liking.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 6
IME experience cutting a wide bass band doesn't really work well.

If you have access to a proper parametric EQ (EqualizerAPO/Peace GUI is great for Windows), try the "new pads" settings provided by this reddit user as a base:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index
This is still an overall warm tilt (tuned to the harman target curve), but fairly aggressively carved sub-bass that might neutralise it enough for your liking.

Thanks;
However, all I get when logged in in DropBox account (required for the download) is the .pdf file with the FQ graphs for corrected FQ.
I couldn't find any file with the actual EQ settings to be downloaded.

Jun 15, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Furthermore, if trying to apply the settings for the given EQ bands manually, I could not find the app for Mac OS (the OS that I am using) that allows (either in 10 band eq mode or 31 band eq mode) to adjust the eq settings for the frequencies given in the .pdf file.

The frequencies given in the Beyerdynamic DT770 (new earpads).pdf file are not the standard EQ frequencies found in normal 10 band or 31 band parametric equalizer.

The eqMac 2 app offers system-wide EQ settings, and it appears that the individual frequency bands can be renamed manually.
Whether this results in the actual change of the EQ band for particular band, or only in the change of the name for the corresponding standard EQ band (at its place) is unknown to me, at the moment.

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 6
Furthermore, if trying to apply the settings for the given EQ bands manually, I could not find the app for Mac OS (the OS that I am using) that allows (either in 10 band eq mode or 31 band eq mode) to adjust the eq settings for the frequencies given in the .pdf file.

The frequencies given in the Beyerdynamic DT770 (new earpads).pdf file are not the standard EQ frequencies found in normal 10 band or 31 band parametric equalizer.

The eqMac 2 app offers system-wide EQ settings, and it appears that the individual frequency bands can be renamed manually.
Whether this results in the actual change of the EQ band for particular band, or only in the change of the name for the corresponding standard EQ band (at its place) is unknown to me, at the moment.

Hmm seems like a bit of a challenge on Mac (strangely). Not sure if there are any media players for Mac that can host VST's (should be plenty decent free EQ plugins). Could be one way to achieve it but getting pretty complex/power user...

What you're trying to achieve is a narrow band boost at 100hz by 3-6db to taste, and a scoop out of all the frequencies beneath that as a wider band by about -3 db.
I've found messing with the mids and highs beyond that effects the soundstage/openness (diffuse field tuning)of the DT770's, and leaving them alone (with the above changes to the lows) sounds most "neutral/natural/enjoyable" for most music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back