Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250Ohms vs AKG K550
Feb 16, 2013 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

WeirdG

100+ Head-Fier
I have the option of getting both sets in the title on sale from local stores, but am having a hard time deciding on which one to choose.  I need a comfortable closed-back set for work, and wouldn't mind a little bit of bass.  I mostly listen to indie music, and a lot of it has a rock or folky sound to it.  The DT770Pro250s can be had for $165 new and the K550s can be had for $200 new.  I currently have a FiiO E10 Olympus DAC/Amp, but I'm upgrading to an Audioengine D1.

Is the K550 worth the $40 (after tax) upgrade?  Which one would you get and why?

WG

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Anyone?

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 12
They're both quality headphones, and both very comfortable.

The DT770's have significantly more bass.
The K550's have a more open, airy sound and
a larger soundstage.

Having owned both, neither would be my first choice in the price range.
But if I had to choose between those two only, I'd choose the K550.
The 770's just have too much bass for me.

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
They're both quality headphones, and both very comfortable.

The DT770's have significantly more bass.
The K550's have a more open, airy sound and
a larger soundstage.

Having owned both, neither would be my first choice in the price range.
But if I had to choose between those two only, I'd choose the K550.
The 770's just have too much bass for me.

In that price range, which set would you choose if not the DT770 or K550?  Keep in mind I'm looking for a closed set.

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Having compared both the soundstage on the dt770 was wider than the 550. The 550 is a nice phone though but the beyers are just a better headphone.

I agree with you.  I demoed them both today and found the DT770 had a better soundstage, and the K550s sounded flatter.  Both were connected to amps too.  I understand the DT770 80 ohm model is bass heavy, and the 250 ohm model isn't as much.  I'll be using them with either a FiiO E10 Olympus or Audioengine D1 depending on which one it sounds better with.

Based on my demo today, I ended up returning the K550s and purchased the DT770 Pro 250 ohm set.  I also like the fact the DT770 has a better frequency response.  Now should I keep the velour ear pads or swap them for something else?

WG

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 12
I like the Brainwavz hm5 pads, but then again, I have modded my 770 80's for more bass, so clearly I like a coloured sound.
I've read that the foam pads on the 880 and 990 are less dense, so going to pleather might change the bass response.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Here are my 770's with HM5 pads (and a recable with other bits) details here if you are interested

The Hm5 Pads are $17 from Mp4nation (free shipping), not that I know how they stand up against other options...

Thanks for the tip.  I've been looking for the EDT770S pads, but those are discontinued now.  The HM5 see like a good and cheap alternative.

WG

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 12
I did some digging around and I think I might get the EDT770S pads for my set.  I found someone selling a set and I might be able to get a decent deal.

WG

May 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 12
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT770S-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B008XHU9ZS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368307213&sr=1-3&keywords=beyerdynamic

The EDT770S pads are $34 at Amazon as of right now, and that includes Prime shipping, if you signed up for Prime.

What's the change between these "leather" pads and the velour, other than color and material? How stiff is the foam inside these?

May 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 12
I just got the Dt770 250 ohm model for $160 the other day at a local vendor. I went to try out their stock and see if they were nice people since they had just opened up, and ended up liking the sound the DT770's produced right out of the box so much that I bought them. They were also on sale, so that might have had something to do with it. After about 60 hours of burn in now, they sound far better than they did out of the box. I'm starting to hear more in general. Directional audio in games has improved as well, so if you're a gamer the 770's are very good. If I were you I'd keep the ear pads, they're really comfortable (par to my AKG Q701's, which I don't notice on my head if they're silent.) The only qualms I have with the Beyers would probably be the coiled cord and how they're a little bit clampy to begin with. If I were you, I'd probably stretch them a bit before wearing. I've tried the K550's, and they seemed a bit too flat for me and they were heavier on my head. The bass response was far too light for me and even though they were closed headphones there still seemed to be noticeable sound leakage at medium to high volumes.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 12
Hey guys, I'm also looking in this price range for closed-back, and I was wondering if yall had anymore advice on these two.  It seems like the general consensus on this thread is that the DT770's are a better bet?

I'd say I favor analytical sound more than bass-heavy sound, but at the same time I've heard two things about the k550's that I don't like. 1) The highs have a possible shrill-sounding frequency bump in the 5k-15k region 2) The "Real Image Engineering" marketing ploy by AKG might be a simple stereo frq-spreader effect instead of a true soundstage improvement (this is my conjecture after hearing about Bagheera's description in this review). 

For me right now on Amazon, the 770s 80ohm are around $230 whereas the k550 is $290.  Price differences aside, I think I just want the headphone that will "last" the longest not  in terms of material durability, but in terms of the sound-signature.  I've only heard the dt770 a while back, but unfortunately its not convenient for me to try either of these in person right now.

I listen to electronic (dance, dubstep, etc), hip hop, rock, metal, pop, film, jazz, classical (but no modern really), and occasional world music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back