Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm Thoughts and Recommendations?
Dec 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Systehm

New Head-Fier
Let me first stress to you all that I am a first time buyer of "high-end", if that is appropriate to say, headphones, so please do your best to excuse my possible ignorance or stupidity. I have been researching various companies such as Denon, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, Shure, ect. for quite some time now and finally came to a decision of what brand and model I wanted to buy that fit my price range ($150>).

Today I purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm's. For a few days I have been trying to decide between these or the DT 990's. I actually purchased the DT 990's (Pro 250 Ohm) last night, but woke up feeling really unsure of the purchase. I canceled the order and placed one on the DT 770's. I am a pretty indecisive person, even now I am unsure if I made the right choice for my uses. I wanted the DT 990's for their sound stage and good positioning (for Gaming) that a lot of people say are excellent features of the headphones.
I haven't owned a pair of open back headphones so I wasn't too sure what to expect, fearing that I'd be bothering others. Also I have a loud air conditioner about 3 feet from my desk that is on most of the Summer, so that worried me a bit. Besides the noisy AC, I sit in a relatively quiet room.
I also prefer isolation when gaming and listening to music, so that added to my decision a bit.
I mainly listen to bass heavy music (Darkstep, Rap) but also Classic Rock, less bass heavy EDM, and Pop.
I will also be using these for Gaming quite regularly, mainly RPG, RTS, and FPS games. I've purchased an Antlion ModMic to use with these headphones.

I still need to purchase an Amp for these headphones. I'm thinking a Fiio E11, but as this is my first Amp I've had to buy I really have no clue what is good and what is to be avoided. I need something that is portable, at least for now, I am looking into purchasing a larger Desktop Amp at a later time. I have no dedicated sound card to use, besides the Realtek 7.1 crap that is built into my Motherboard.

So here are my questions to you.
Do you think I made the best or right choice (DT 770 over the DT 990) considering what I will be using them for and the "environment" I will be using them in?
What (portable) Amp would you recommend to me?
If you have any experience with the DT 770 or DT 990, how did either headphone fair while listening to bass heavy music and while gaming?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 3
i have the 990 pros and theyre pretty good. i play csgo and the directional hearing is okay. im looking into amps at the moment, but so far i am happy with my purchase. people in the room would be able to hear sounds from the headphones such as shooting, and if a tv show is in thw background, youd be ablle to hear it while there is no action in a game.

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 3
Well I just got the headphones today, and tried them out without an amp. The vocals and instruments on some Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, and Phil Collins (FLAC) sounded fantastic! Unfortunately when I tried to them with Dubstep, the bass was just about non-existent, but I was expecting that without an amp. I also should mention they haven't been burned in, so I'm sure that added greatly to my first impressions. I purchased a Fiio E6 that I'm hoping will be fine for taking them on the go and at home in the mean time until I get a desktop amplifier such as a Magni Schiit after the Holiday season. Otherwise I am VERY impressed with them and can't wait to hear them at their full potential, or at least better with the E6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back