Beyerdynamic DT-770 + C&C Box impression and DIY Stand! (pic included!)
Mar 15, 2007 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Grey Massacre

500+ Head-Fier
Hello there,

This is my first post and this post will be a very mixed post. I have been lurking on these forums for quite a quite and I think it is the time to give back some of my knowledge! I am a total newbie, but I have read countless hours on this forum in the past years. I would describe myself as a bass-head that really like colored sound, I like to tweak my sound to the maximum.

I will describe a bit of my listening experience. My first high-end phones were the Grado-SR80 which I liked for quite a long time. I bought these like 6-7 years ago at the same time my friend got his Sennheiser 570 which I found sounding quite dark and warm and at that time I liked the clarity of my Grado's.

Last year I have acquired Beyer's DT-770 pro, I must say I enjoy those. They provide me the sound signature I like: dark sounding and a warm sound and as you guys probably know drums are very present in the metal genre and cymbals can be really fatiguing when listening for a long period of time, so it was good new sound coming from the Grado's! So I have what I wanted : fun, warm, non-fatiguing headphones with a lot of bass slam. Initially the headphones were driven by an iPod Nano straight from the jack, later I decided to go for an amp that would provide me good bass performance and more options to tweak the sound (I have read the extensive amps review made be Skylab) and I have chosen the C&C Box. I really enjoy the sound coming from the amp mostly because of the switches especially the bass extension and the soundstage one.

Now about 2 weeks ago I have gotten my Cowon F2 4gigs and I like it better over my iPod Nano with Rockbox. The sound quality to me is better and I have messed with the sound options for about 2-3 hours straight and I have found the sound I wanted. I feel the firmware on the D2 is as good if not better than Rockbox, the GUI is much more refined as well. I feel that my DT-770 are used to their full potential now! I mostly do all my listening at late night and it is great that on F2 I can dim the LCD, the battery life is really good as compared to my 1.5 years old Nano. On a more negative side I feel that the player have way too small buttons. Surprisingly I have found myself using the built in FM tuner which I found a useful option.

Now I decided to make a headphones stand after seeing some in the DIY, banana stand didn't do it for me. I wanted a really utilitarian look, something METAL, so I copied some used that took pipes. I have sanded it with really fine wool and I made it chrome with a nice slate base. See picture:

Well I guess this is it, I went quick on some details, if there is anything you guys want me to clarify don't hesitate to ask! Now I am interested in going for some Sennheiser HD-595 because I feel the sound is a bit in between the Grado and Beyer sound!

Waiting on your replies or any input and please forgive my poor english.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you,

Charles

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Whooooaaa....what's with the swirly strip on the DT770 cup? Trippy
blink.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whooooaaa....what's with the swirly strip on the DT770 cup? Trippy
blink.gif

Hey there Vile!

After a while on one side of my heaphones the sticker started to sort of peel off, so I decided to totally remove it and use a nice thick plastic sticker to style up those phones! The sticker was originally 3 flaming skulls, so with an exacto I made two new strips!

Charles

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Thats a very creative set-up, and you are definetly Head-Fi material.Thanks for your thoughts and opinion, nice!

Live Free in the Matrix! Freeone-j

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice stand
smily_headphones1.gif
I might just have to make one similar to that if you don't mind
icon10.gif

Hey there werdwerdus!!

Sure go ahead, that's the point, sharing thoughts to help each others!

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back