Beyerdynamic DT 770/990 or Sennheiser HD 598 For Gaming ?
Jun 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Lucaaaa

New Head-Fier
Hello, (Sorry for my bad english I'm French)

I really hesitate about my new headphone for Gaming (Arma, Battlefield, etc...)

Which one is the best ?

- Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

- Sennheiser HD 598

My Sound card : Asus Xonar DX

My Mic : AntLion ModMic.

Thanks in advance !
Cordially.

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 22
That might have to do more with the game/soundcard software itself.
I admit, I'm not too familiar with this topic, but the sound processing is done by the software itself (obviously) and then fed to your headphones. 

In terms of headphones themselves, all of the one's you've listed above are great headphones. Now, I'm not too familiar with gaming itself and what you look for specifically in a gaming headphone, but I'd imagine the frequency response in all of those headphones are more than adequate to pick up any audible sounds you require for gaming. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 22
  Hello, (Sorry for my bad english I'm French)
I really hesitate about my new headphone for Gaming (Arma, Battlefield, etc...)
Which one is the best ?
- Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
- Sennheiser HD 598
My Sound card : Asus Xonar DX
My Mic : AntLion ModMic.

Vive La France

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board battery, in the BIOS, before you installed the Xonar DX.
Here are some third party drivers for the Xonar DX, they seem to be a little better then the Asus drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

The Xonar DX is a great sound card....except it's not that great for driving headphones.
Adding an external headphone amplifier to be used with the Xonar DX should improve audio quality, of any headphone, over plugging the headphone directly into the Xonar DX.
The FiiO E11K is a good low cost headphone amplifier.

Check out the AKG K612 Pros (155 Euros)
http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_612_pro.htm?sid=0d30849e9ee17c0c29c97f08e2fc4146

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 22
Vive La France

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board battery, in the BIOS, before you installed the Xonar DX.
Here are some third party drivers for the Xonar DX, they seem to be a little better then the Asus drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

The Xonar DX is a great sound card....except it's not that great for driving headphones.
Adding an external headphone amplifier to be used with the Xonar DX should improve audio quality, of any headphone, over plugging the headphone directly into the Xonar DX.
The FiiO E11K is a good low cost headphone amplifier.

Check out the AKG K612 Pros (155 Euros)
http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_612_pro.htm?sid=0d30849e9ee17c0c29c97f08e2fc4146

Thanks for the information but I dont have the money for the amplifier..

And for the AKG you think is better for gaming?
And what you think about the Dt and the sennheiser for gaming?

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 22
I think, without an amp, your best bet from that list is the Sennheiser HD 598. 
AKG K612 and both Beyerdynamics are likely difficult to drive without an amp (ie. you might not get enough volume from your sound card alone)

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 22
  What do you mean by "difficult to drive" ? to configure ?

Difficult to get adequate volume out of (ie. maximum volume from your computer may still be too quiet for your liking). 

Headphones have different impedance and sensitivity ratings. Certain headphones, like the Beyerdynamics and the AKGs above require more power (typically from an amplifier) to reach adequate volume whereas the Sennheiser HD598 should be able to reach decent volume with your soundcard alone. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 22
Thanks for the information but I don't have the money for the amplifier..
And for the AKG you think is better for gaming?
And what you think about the DT and the Sennheiser for gaming?

I own two DT990s (250 & 600-Ohm) and the HD558 (same 50-Ohm) driver as the HD598.
and they both have their positives.
The DT990 is more a full bass/full treble sound, which slightly over shadows the mids, but the mids are clear.

The Xonar DX's front Speaker/headphone jack does not really output enough power to drive 250-Ohm DT990 headphones.
The 50-Ohm HD598 should easily be driving by the Xonar DX.
The HD558/HD598 have a slightly veiled sound, it's a very clear sound, but it kind of like your sitting more at the back row of a concert.
I'm fine with the way my HD558s sound, but some prefer a more in your face type sound.

You might consider selling off the Xonar DX and get a Sound Blaster Z.
The SB-Z's built in headphone amplifier is somewhat decent
and easily better for driving headphones, then the Xonar DX.

Maybe consider trying to find a good price on a used HD558, remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558 and your getting headphones that are somewhat between the HD558 and HD598.

The 120-Ohm AKG K612 Pro seems to be a well balanced headphones, for use with just about anything, but it needed to be driving with a fair amount of power to sound their best.
Even a little harder to drive then the DT990 250-Ohm.

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 22

The HD558/HD598 have a slightly veiled sound, it's a very clear sound, but it kind of like your sitting more at the back row of a concert.
I'm fine with the way my HD558s sound, but some prefer a more in your face type sound.

I agree with the 558 veil.  It's more of a "smearing" of the notes, I guess.  It's a good headphone if you want to hear as if you've been drinking.

Even with the foam mod, the 558 are very in my face.  So in my face with voices and similar mids sounds that it makes the pretty big soundstage sound smaller than it is.  I know it's a pretty big soundstage, but a lot of the time sounds are close.  It's often like sounds are big and directly at my face and I want to push them away if I could.  Those sounds, and those sounds are common, kind of put a wall up that sort of limits hearing the separation of sounds farther away, making the soundstage sound a lot smaller than it can be.   

And without the foam mod, it's even worse.  The first time I listened to them, my first thought was "No."

Anyway, OP, DT990 is a wonderful headphone. But as was said, it needs a decent amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back