Beyerdynamic DT 770/80 vs Custom One Pro's Quick Comparison
Nov 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #61 of 104
Ok I just put the velour pads on...I found a good track with some good bass and first tired one pad, keeping the pleather on my left, but it was difficult to tell a difference trying one ear at a time. So I put both on, and to be honest I can't tell much of a difference at all. I'm no expert...but I say go for it if you prefer the comfort of velour. I think they need to break in a bit, but the sound seems the same to me.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #62 of 104
Hey jeromium,

beyerdynamic provides 2 types (and 2 colors for each) of velour pads.
EDT770V (black=770VB) for closed back design cans,
EDT990V (black=990VB) for open or semi-open back design.
Could you tell which pads did you use for your COP?

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #65 of 104
My COP's arrived today. I am not qualified to do a legit review but I will share my thoughts on them best way I can. The other decent over-ear headphone that I have to do an A/B comparison is the HD280Pro. Also, I am a basshead, so my comments are with the port sliders all the way open and they will stay that way. :wink:

FiiO E11 on setting 0 and 1. (still experimenting between FiiO and clip zip eq)

Highs - They are superior on the HD280Pro, they sound more clear to me.
Mids - The same here, they sound better on the HD280Pro.
Mid Bass - COP's.
Bass - COP (yesss).
Bass Impact - COP (headphone cups actually shake from the impact, more so after some eq in my RB clip zip (still learning advanced eq settings).
Sub Bass - COP (oh lawd).

The only strange thing that I noticed is that sometimes the right speaker will clip/distort when I crank up the volume real high, even with FLAT eq settings. This doesn't happen at all on the left speaker. Also tried the same songs (at the same volume/eq settings) on the HD280Pro and this doesn't happen either. I do like to listen to my music really loud, but due to what I stated above I'm a little worried. Hopefully I don't have a defective unit. :frowning2:

If anybody has the same issue please let me know.

Edit: I am going to let them burn in after hours for a couple days. But overall I am very pleased with the sound and specially the bass/sub bass when paired with the E11. Hopefully the right speaker clipping is just me and not an issue with the headphones. I was also really surprised on how light these headphones are despite of their size. I used them in the gym today and (of course) the pads got a little hot and sweaty, but for regular use I think they will be fine. I will still buy the velours anyways as soon I have the funds.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #66 of 104
Quote:
My COP's arrived today. I am not qualified to do a legit review but I will share my thoughts on them best way I can. The other decent over-ear headphone that I have to do an A/B comparison is the HD280Pro. Also, I am a basshead, so my comments are with the port sliders all the way open and they will stay that way. :wink:

FiiO E11 on setting 0 and 1. (still experimenting between FiiO and clip zip eq)

Highs - They are superior on the HD280Pro, they sound more clear to me.
Mids - The same here, they sound better on the HD280Pro.
Mid Bass - COP's.
Bass - COP (yesss).
Bass Impact - COP (headphone cups actually shake from the impact, more so after some eq in my RB clip zip (still learning advanced eq settings).
Sub Bass - COP (oh lawd).

The only strange thing that I noticed is that sometimes the right speaker will clip/distort when I crank up the volume real high, even with FLAT eq settings. This doesn't happen at all on the left speaker. Also tried the same songs (at the same volume/eq settings) on the HD280Pro and this doesn't happen either. I do like to listen to my music really loud, but due to what I stated above I'm a little worried. Hopefully I don't have a defective unit. :frowning2:

If anybody has the same issue please let me know.

Edit: I am going to let them burn in after hours for a couple days. But overall I am very pleased with the sound and specially the bass/sub bass when paired with the E11. Hopefully the right speaker clipping is just me and not an issue with the headphones. I was also really surprised on how light these headphones are despite of their size. I used them in the gym today and (of course) the pads got a little hot and sweaty, but for regular use I think they will be fine. I will still buy the velours anyways as soon I have the funds.

First thing, great review.
I'm no expert either but sometimes thats what you want. Someone just like you that can put it in terms us new people can understand so great job!
Now on to what you mentioned...
I hate to say it, but its not a defective pair, the same thing happen to me. They sound really good at low volumes but at times with the volume up they crack, distort, or just feel like they are trying to hard. My issue was they would bottom out way to easily even at low volumes when the notes were to low. They are by no stretch detail monsters. They were built to compete with the V-moda Crossfade Lp, Lp2, M-80, M-100, & Beats line so detail really wasn't the goal with these but the problem with that is most people that bought them are Beyer fans like myself and were expecting detail clarity with better portability. They are better than most of what is out there but still have a ways to go to be on the same level as some of the other $199 Beyers out there. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #67 of 104
Is there a difference between the dt770 / 80 & the dt770 / 250? Tyll noticed some difference between the different impedence models of the dt880 so does the same thing apply to these?

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #68 of 104
Quote:
Is there a difference between the dt770 / 80 & the dt770 / 250? Tyll noticed some difference between the different impedence models of the dt880 so does the same thing apply to these?

Thats a tough one, because I've heard the same thing with the DT 990/32,250, & 600. But on the same hand I've heard the complete opposite that they all sound the same or that the 990/250 and 990/600 sound the exact same and the 32 is the only one that you can tell behaves a little different from the others. Regarding the 770's either way you're going to need a good source to run these. You can run the 80's off of a portable devise but you wont get half of what they are capable of producing. Bass is weak, soundstage gets tiny, and overall you don't get what you pay for. You almost have to use some sort of amp or the ZO 2 with the 770's to get them to preform the way they are supposed to. 

What will you be using them with? Oh, and don't worry about the cord length, its the same length no matter what impedance you get.   

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #69 of 104
Quote:

Thats a tough one, because I've heard the same thing with the DT 990/32,250, & 600. But on the same hand I've heard the complete opposite that they all sound the same or that the 990/250 and 990/600 sound the exact same and the 32 is the only one that you can tell behaves a little different from the others. Regarding the 770's either way you're going to need a good source to run these. You can run the 80's off of a portable devise but you wont get half of what they are capable of producing. Bass is weak, soundstage gets tiny, and overall you don't get what you pay for. You almost have to use some sort of amp or the ZO 2 with the 770's to get them to preform the way they are supposed to. 

What will you be using them with? Oh, and don't worry about the cord length, its the same length no matter what impedance you get.   

Well, whichever I get I'd be using it mainly at home. Laptop -> Fiio e17 -> M-stage. Found this on Beyers site

"This low mass can easily be accomplished with thinner (lower weight) wire, but the thinner wire has a higher impedance. This means that the DT 770 PRO with 250 ohms sound more natural, but plays (depending on the used headphone amplifier) not as loud as the 80 ohms version"

So I know which I'm getting. I just wish the 250 ohm didn't have a coiled cable. Hate those >.<

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #70 of 104
Quote:
Well, whichever I get I'd be using it mainly at home. Laptop -> Fiio e17 -> M-stage. Found this on Beyers site

"This low mass can easily be accomplished with thinner (lower weight) wire, but the thinner wire has a higher impedance. This means that the DT 770 PRO with 250 ohms sound more natural, but plays (depending on the used headphone amplifier) not as loud as the 80 ohms version"

So I know which I'm getting. I just wish the 250 ohm didn't have a coiled cable. Hate those >.<

LOL no need for concern, they don't have the coiled cable like the 990/250's. So you're going with the 250's because they're supposed to be more natural. Does that mean they're supposed to be more neutral? Not sure I get what they mean by that.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #71 of 104
LOL no need for concern, they don't have the coiled cable like the 990/250's. So you're going with the 250's because they're supposed to be more natural. Does that mean they're supposed to be more neutral? Not sure I get what they mean by that.

I'm just guessing it has to do with treble and bass extension, probably better PRaT

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #72 of 104
Quote:

First thing, great review.
I'm no expert either but sometimes thats what you want. Someone just like you that can put it in terms us new people can understand so great job!
Now on to what you mentioned...
I hate to say it, but its not a defective pair, the same thing happen to me. They sound really good at low volumes but at times with the volume up they crack, distort, or just feel like they are trying to hard. My issue was they would bottom out way to easily even at low volumes when the notes were to low. They are by no stretch detail monsters. They were built to compete with the V-moda Crossfade Lp, Lp2, M-80, M-100, & Beats line so detail really wasn't the goal with these but the problem with that is most people that bought them are Beyer fans like myself and were expecting detail clarity with better portability. They are better than most of what is out there but still have a ways to go to be on the same level as some of the other $199 Beyers out there. 

Thanks... but I still have a lot to learn as far as reviewing headphones.

I agree with you in that the COP cant handle a lot of power, but I still think my COP had an issue, because (at least in my case) the clipping/distorting only happened in the right speaker. I even panned the sound to both left/right just to be sure. I took my time and made different advanced eq presets on the zip and then played with the E11 and COP sliders and every time it was the same thing. The right speaker started to clip once I passed 6 on the E11 with moderate to bass heavy songs.

I already sent mine to Beyer for repair, so if this is an actual design flaw of the headphone then I guess I'm screwed because now its an issue between me and Beyer, and not the place where I bought it (RazorDogDeals).

Seems like I am going to end up spending more money and wait until I can have the green for an M100 or just buy the DT770-80 and have somebody do a removable cable mod for me.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #73 of 104
Quote:

Thanks... but I still have a lot to learn as far as reviewing headphones.

I agree with you in that the COP cant handle a lot of power, but I still think my COP had an issue, because (at least in my case) the clipping/distorting only happened in the right speaker. I even panned the sound to both left/right just to be sure. I took my time and made different advanced eq presets on the zip and then played with the E11 and COP sliders and every time it was the same thing. The right speaker started to clip once I passed 6 on the E11 with moderate to bass heavy songs.

I already sent mine to Beyer for repair, so if this is an actual design flaw of the headphone then I guess I'm screwed because now its an issue between me and Beyer, and not the place where I bought it (RazorDogDeals).

Seems like I am going to end up spending more money and wait until I can have the green for an M100 or just buy the DT770-80 and have somebody do a removable cable mod for me.

This is why I always buy from Amazon or eBay with sellers with a return policy just in case things like this happen. But honestly I dont know if its a design flaw vs the result of have 16ohm rated speakers. They just can't handle power. They were made strictly for iPhone type sources so adding you fav portable amp is not a great idea unless you plan on playing them at relatively low volumes and with the ports on the first or second sliders max. And where's the fun in that!     

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #74 of 104
[size=10.5pt]Hi guys, first time jumping on here and was hoping to get some advice from the professionals. [/size][size=10.5pt]Currently running HD25’s and a pair of Miles Davis Trumpets with a E11 amp and absolutely love the sound, especially the bass out of the Trumpets! Unfortunately the HD-25’s can be a little uncomfortable for long periods and wanted to upgrade to a good quality on-ear headphones, especially for around the house. The search has brought me a choice between the [/size][size=10.5pt]COP, DT770 or [/size][size=10.5pt]V-Moda M100. Wanted something which was versatile so could be used to listen to music with or without an amp, plus plus even to watch a movie, but have fantastic sound. Tend to listen to a mostly House or RnB. So looking hopefully below the $400 mark for a selection.[/size]

[size=medium]Any suggestions or feedback?[/size]

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #75 of 104
[COLOR=000000][SIZE=10.5pt]Hi guys, first time jumping on here and was hoping to get some advice from the professionals.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=000000][SIZE=10.5pt]Currently running HD25’s and a pair of Miles Davis Trumpets with a E11 amp and absolutely love the sound, especially the bass out of the Trumpets! Unfortunately the HD-25’s can be a little uncomfortable for long periods and wanted to upgrade to a good quality on-ear headphones, especially for around the house. The search has brought me a choice between the[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=000000][SIZE=10.5pt]COP, DT770 or[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=000000][SIZE=10.5pt]V-Moda M100. Wanted something which was versatile so could be used to listen to music with or without an amp, plus plus even to watch a movie, but have fantastic sound. Tend to listen to a mostly House or RnB. So looking hopefully below the $400 mark for a selection.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Any suggestions or feedback?

Welcome!!

For that price range you have a ton of great options! You mentioned that you'll be using them from home a lot, do you prefer open or closed back cans like the ones you have now. Closed cans are known for the isolation and typically better bass. Open are more well open lol with better soundstage and depth.

Open
HE-400 $399 (new) Overall best sounding headphones I've ever owned or listened to. A little on the heavy side and zero portability but for home use the best.

Beyerdynamic DT990/250 $199 and under (new) there is a 32ohm rated version but since you already have the e11 no point waisting an extra $150 for the same thing. Fantastic headphones top to bottom and the most comfortable cans I've ever tried.

Closed
DT770/80 $149-$220 (new) Fun cans, super comfy and will handle all types of music well. Soundstage rivals that of the open cans and is better than any other closed headphone I've tested under $700.

COP's $189 (new) are good for the money but not sure I'd recommend them. Def would not use them with the e11. I actually did while testing and it wasn't a good experience... Great at low volumes but raise it and all turns to mush. Highs crack lows fall off and general sadness kicks in... I wanted to love these headphones and at low volumes I did. But I couldn't let it go that while cranked even a little they broke lose.

M-100 super hype headphones are still new but I posted a review from a trusted source in this thread so you can read more about them. $300 is a bit much for what they are IMO. Super super wide soundstage HUGE BASS and that's about all there is to em. Do your home work...

Audio-Technica a900x. $237 All arounders with great sound comfort and price. Definitely worth a serious look!

Used
Denon d2000's $299 and under Amazing period

Lets us know what you think,

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back