BeyerDynamic DT 770 32Ohm, 80Ohm or 25Ohm for my PreSonus FireBox Audio Interface?
Feb 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ZooBooBooZoo

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I checked some phones today(ATH-50M, and a couple of sennhiesers, couldn't get demonstration for shure phones...)
I was looking at something around 150-200$.

I heard a couple of DT770. the 1st one I had to check with my iPhone(no PC or phones amp etc. at the store[What?]) and it was quite good, nice seperation of sounds, and quite clear but too low of a volume and I couldn't be sure of it, and at another store I listened to another pair, with some kind of amp, AND with my iPhone and they were louder and very good althouogh a lil' boomy and bassy, but good.

So my questions is, for use mainly with my PreSonus FireBox audio interface, which would be best?
32, 80, or 250 Ohm?
here are the fierbox specs:

Headphone Output

Type TRS Active Stereo
  Maximum Output 150 mW/CH @ 60 Ohm Load
  Frequency Response (±1.0 dB) 20 Hz - 20kHz

It's a nice bonus to have the phones work well with the iPhone,
but really I would use them almost solely with my FireBox at home and not on the road so...

Here are my uses of the phones, to give a lil' more backround of what I need:

Quote:
Budget: basically around 200$, but I can be flexible.

Uses:
I'm more of a musician(mainly guitar) than a producer,
 and I use my DAW/Extremely Humble "Home Studio" mainly to record my ideas and explore them
(with VSTs of stuff I can't play or instruments I can't afford), and to record my band or a small jam.
I don't usually sit down on a project and mix and master it (yeah, I know this is what most of this forum is about  :roll: )
although rarely a certain project comes along that demands it.

I record: Vocals, Electric Guitars(sometimes DI, sometimes with my SM57), Acoustic Guitars, Sometimes Bass,
and use my midi keyboard to "record" Pianos, Strings, Horns, etc. and e-drum kit for for drums midi input.

Genres: Mostly Jazz,Rock,Funk but also Electornic or Symphonic(both rarely) and other stuff.

Needs A reliable product, I intend to use it for a good amount of time  :D

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 4
The 250ohm would be best sounding but both the 80ohm and 250ohm are pretty similar sounding with the only major difference being the 250ohm is a bit more refined and a little less bassy.

I usually recommend the 80ohm because the 250ohm crushes your head with the even tighter clamp and it's not as comfortable. But if you don't care about that then go with 250ohm.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Comfort is quite important, sometimes I just jam or track for a couple of hours...
Although I do think the 2nd, louder DT 770 I listened to were a little too bassy and I guess it was the 80Ohm...

250Ohm won't work with iPhone right? there won't be enough volume...?

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 4
I doubt the 250 Ω version has consistently higher clamping force, maybe it has for some people, but it is most likely just random manufacturing variation, and some of the 80 Ω headphones will clamp just as tightly. The headband is the same part number for all "pro" versions.

The iPhone (~1 Vrms maximum output for the iPhone 5 = ~100-102 dB peak SPL) may or may not be loud enough for you, you will only know when you try it. If you are listening to music with compressed dynamic range, and you already use the iPhone with other, more sensitive headphones, and only need to set low volume, then there is a chance that it is enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back