Beyerdynamic DT 330 mk II - ideas how to get rid of treble peak?
Apr 24, 2017 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rlisin

100+ Head-Fier
I picked up Beyerdynamic DT 330 mk II, fixed the headband (yoke locks were missing and yokes were falling out of the headband), but I still have a problem with their sound.

Their sound is very clear, but cymbals are louder than everything else, fatiguing especially with rock and metal. Other frequencies seem more or less balanced - bass, mids are good, clear and very precise.

The headphones are stock (original cable, no additional damping inside, the original felt cover is in place on the driver) except for earpads. For now I have old black velour Beyerdynamic earpads with foam spacers to increase the distance (they were old and too flat), but I've also tried these headphones with new silver velour DT880 earpads (same - overblown treble) and new and old silver velour DT770 earpads (badly overblown, boomy bass and still overblown treble).

Any idea how to remove the treble peak without affecting the other frequencies? Damping in the back, cloth in the front or different pads?

Beyerdynamic recomments DT770 softskin earpads for these headphones, but I don't have any softskin or leather earpads this size and can't test them. Do you have any experience with that, do these pads take care of the treble issue? I prefer velour for comfort, but the cymbals are too annoying. I have and like DT880s and Sennheiser HD700s, so I'm certainly not a treble hater. But I don't want to spend money on softskin earpads just to find out they are no better than velours on these headphones.

Also, there's little info on these headphones, so I'll share everything I've found.

This is from 1984 catalogue:

Technical data in English:

Frequency Response: 15 Hz to 18 kHz
Nominal impedance: 40Ω
SPL at 1 kHz - 85 dB
Nominal power handling capacity - 100 mW for approx. 105 dB max. SPL = 2V into 40Ω
Clamping force - 1.5 N
Weight (w/out cable) - 190 g

Versions:

DT 330.07 - with 6.3 mm jack
DT 330.10 - with DIN plug

Weight: 190g

Spare parts:

Earpads: Beyerdynamic recommends EDT 770 SG (Beyerdynamic part number 913669)
Driver: System DT 330 MK II (Beyerdynamic part number 942047)
Cable: Beyerdynamic recommends coiled cable, part number 966277. The original cable is straight.
Headband belt: Beyerdynamic part number 956409
Headband bow, yokes, holders: not available anymore. Beyerdynamic recommends using headbands for DT 660, which are not available anymore either. Headband for DT 531 will work with small modification to the cups, headbands for DT770/880/990 probably will work too - but clamping force will be higher.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 2
OK, I ran a frequency sweep, the peak is around 5 kHz. Hardly a surprise. Adding a piece of perforated cloth in front of the driver helped to tame it a bit. I'll listen some more and decide whether I need to do anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back