Beyerdynamic DT 250 headband cable wears quickly(?).
Mar 12, 2005 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sathanator

New Head-Fier
I own Beyerdynamic DT 250/80 headphones. Their durability seems otherwise great, except for the cable running inside the headband. The soft headband is easily removable, and underneath runs the signal cable from left cup to right cup. I noticed that the cable wears pretty quickly in those sptos, where headband length can be adjusted(I mean those spots inside the headband, where the "telescopic" joints are).

I actually used some hefty tape to reinforce those spots of the cable where it tends to wear , and now the cable slides nicely inside the headband without twisting, even when I slide the headband adjustment all the way in(to the shortest position). If I hadn't taped the cable, it could've worn all the way to the wires running inside the cable.

I would like to ask, that if someone could check the cable inside the headband and tell here that is your cable worn? If it is, then maybe it's time for you too to do some taping.
wink.gif

*And BTW: Is there supposed to be a strong "clicking feel" when adjusting the headband length? Mine just slides pretty smoothly, and I barely can feel those "steps" in the adjustment.

Mar 13, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 6
The joints on my DT250 headband click audibly and palpably when sliding. There are no wear marks on the cables that I can notice, but I admit that I am lazy and did not remove the foam thingy beyond 5 mm of the joints.

Mar 13, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for your reply. But there must be more DT 250 owners out there, so please, drop a line or two here.

I wonder that could this be a "type problem" of the DT 250, or did I just get unlucky? I suppose that my DT 250 were not even taken out of the box before me, when I bought it from the local store. Although I did test the length adjustment a few times, sliding it from end to end, I wonder how was the cable inside the headband so worn at the joints when I looked what's inside the headband?

Even if I wouldn't have strengthened the cable with tape, it could have taken much more beating. But especially that serious twisting of the cable when sliding the adjustment to the shortest position, seemed quite bad. For example, imagine that every now and then you take the same spot of a signal cable, fold it to a "U" shape, and pinch it so that it is more like a "V" shape, and then pull it straight again. That really strains the copper-wires running inside the cable, when done many times.

But as I said, now that those twisting spots are taped, it will probably work fine for years to come.
cool.gif

And then there's the headband adjustment's clicking feel... It's quite weak in my phones. For example, when I take the phones off my head, the headband adjustment is in it's longest position(I have an large head). Then later I put them on again, and notice that the length has been shortened about one "click" by only the clamping force between the cups. This isn't a problem when I'm wearing the phones. But it would be nice to see, that does anyone else has the same minor problem with DT 250?

Mar 19, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 6
Hey there Sathanator, it looks like we are in the minority here.

I just got my Beyer 250-80s a bit ago, so they are pretty much brand new. I took off the headband padding and did not notice any wear on the cables yet, but I could see houw it could happen with long term use and a lot of adjusting the length of the headband.

Speaking of that, I believe my band is a lot like yours. Almost no clicking sound, and is fairly slippery. Definatly not clicking and locking. I believe this is just the nature of these phones.

Can I ask what kind of source you have them plugged into?

Also, I notice that the cable from the left can exits it and runs in an exposed groove on the front side of the headband, crosses over inside it, and then runs along a similar exposed groove on the back of the headband into the right can. (front being front when you put them on.) I assume this is normal?

Cheers!

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi moonlitmatt.

Thanks for your reply. About that crossing cable. It indeed leaves the Left can from front, runs via the front groove in to the headband, comes out of the headband from Right side running inside the rear groove, and enters Right can from the rear(Left being the can with main cable plugged in.). In other words, when you plase the cans against each other, the cable runs in opposite sides of the cans(L front, R rear).
DT250.png

Now I have my DT 250/80 plugged in a mixer's headphone output. Previously I had them plugged straight in my PC's soundcard line-out. The soundcard line-out sounded quite good with these phones, but now with the mixer plugged in between, I think the sound has more impact and control, but not much of an difference. I wonder if an separate headphone amplifier would give a boost to the low frequencies. Now there's nearly no audible bass at all below 30-40 Hz. But still, even with this setup, I love the sound of these headphones. There isn't much of soundstage or depth, but sound is neutral and clear.

BTW: My left can is quieter than right. The difference is noticeable, but after a while I get used to it. That balance difference can be easily corrected with a little balance adjustment from the mixer, or soundcard. But it's still quite weird that headphones of this price have such a flaw. Even cans costing below 40 euros have correct balance. But the sound quality of DT 250/80 makes me forget about that inbalance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back